Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

cctld Are all the good .ca's now gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torcan

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The question was are all "good" .ca's gone? Obviously this depends on your definition of "good". Based on my definition, I believe:

a) all "great" .ca's are 100% gone
b) all "good" .ca's are almost gone
c) there are plenty of "decent" .ca's left

Just my opinion - other will no doubt disagree

That's a nice and simple classification scale. I'd be interested in hearing where you think that some of my .CA domains fit into this framework (great/good/decent):

- hospital.ca / hopital.ca
- telemedicine.ca
- eye.ca
- fonecard.ca / foncard.ca

Last edited:
Domain Summit 2024

domainatrix

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great Domains: both mid-level great domains
hospital.ca
eye.ca

Good:
hopital.ca (for Fr. audience)

Decent:
telemedicine.ca (high decent)
fonecard.ca
foncard.ca

torcan

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great Domains: both mid-level great domains
hospital.ca
eye.ca

Good:
hopital.ca (for Fr. audience)

Decent:
telemedicine.ca (high decent)
fonecard.ca
foncard.ca

Just as a follow up, as I received notice today from Parked.com. Apparently neither "great", "good", or "decent" domains are good enough for them -- all of them were denied access to their parking system; email stated that their quality is not good enough. I sense a .CA prejudice here. Quite short-sighted if you ask me (but that's for another thread, one about branding!), especially since they (especially the "great") are making decent coin on Sedo parking at the moment.

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just as a follow up, as I received notice today from Parked.com. Apparently neither "great", "good", or "decent" domains are good enough for them -- all of them were denied access to their parking system; email stated that their quality is not good enough. I sense a .CA prejudice here. Quite short-sighted if you ask me (but that's for another thread, one about branding!), especially since they (especially the "great") are making decent coin on Sedo parking at the moment.

Quick question...how many did you submit to them? I believe they require a minimum of 10. I don't think it is a .ca prejudice as Parked.com is where I have all of my domains.

torcan

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Quick question...how many did you submit to them? I believe they require a minimum of 10. I don't think it is a .ca prejudice as Parked.com is where I have all of my domains.

Yes, I submitted the minimum 10. I submitted my best ones (well, those not currently involved in development projects; i.e. that I'm willing to park). The ones above were all included. So clearly they have an odd definition of quality.

mogtnomr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

A parking company's definition of quality is going to be based on quantity and quality of traffic. There is overhead dealing with new customers and the cost to write/mail you a check is going to be more than the PPC you'll make on those domains. And guys who have lots of domains without traffic tend to like to find ways to manufacture traffic on them - so now the ppc companies have to worry about fraud. People who have nothing to lose (have no revenues anyways) are much more likely to do something fraudulent. Customers who have tons of good traffic would typically not risk any fraud for fear of getting banned and losing their legitimate earnings. So the risk/reward factor is significantly different for customers who clearly will make money and those who may/may-not make money.

Fraud is one of the reasons we are all making less ppc these days, and it is very real and significant.... So no offense, but, I don't blame parking companies for being choosy in a market where traffic quality has become very important to maintain. They are simply looking at the handful of domains you gave them and they see very little upside potential....

So take your rejection as a blessing in disguise and develop instead of park!

Rob

torcan

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just as a follow up -- I'm posting this publicly as a handful of you PM'ed me regarding this issue -- I contacted Don @ Parked.com and he manually added me. I look forward to testing out some of my domains on their system.

A parking company's definition of quality is going to be based on quantity and quality of traffic. There is overhead dealing with new customers and the cost to write/mail you a check is going to be more than the PPC you'll make on those domains. And guys who have lots of domains without traffic tend to like to find ways to manufacture traffic on them - so now the ppc companies have to worry about fraud. People who have nothing to lose (have no revenues anyways) are much more likely to do something fraudulent. Customers who have tons of good traffic would typically not risk any fraud for fear of getting banned and losing their legitimate earnings. So the risk/reward factor is significantly different for customers who clearly will make money and those who may/may-not make money.

Fraud is one of the reasons we are all making less ppc these days, and it is very real and significant.... So no offense, but, I don't blame parking companies for being choosy in a market where traffic quality has become very important to maintain. They are simply looking at the handful of domains you gave them and they see very little upside potential....

So take your rejection as a blessing in disguise and develop instead of park!

Rob

As someone who uses Google Ads for marketing purposes, I certainly realise the seriousness of click-fraud. Also, when I posted the other day about Parked.com, I didn't realise that these quality assessments were automated, so niche names or those in another language may push down the average quality score of the total portfolio.

Rob -- I agree with you about development being truly the best option. No question about it. In fact, all the domains in my (modest) portfolio were each registered in conjunction with real business start-ups being planned. In the cases where these ventures did not go ahead, I have kept the good ones and, for now, I park them. I could develop some little strategic mini-sites/portals, but I don't have the man-hours (myself or my associates) to dedicate at this point.

I appreciate the discourse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom