Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Asking price a joke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anton#1

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you are willing to pay the asking price, the name is yours. Right? No, and this is official policy with Sedo. I complained two times when the seller rose the selling price considerably. But to no avail

Suggestion for Sedo: Skip the asking price; every name should be "Make offer".

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
happened to me also .. i agree no asking price!

nitronet

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I offered the asking price and the seller raised it.

Sedo is a joke.

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I dont understand it but my understaning is a seller who has an asking price and make offer can raise price, but not one who has asking price and fixed price. They do need to straighten that out

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That is out of control!
I leave my names at sedo as "make offer"

There really isn't any reason to have other options...
other than fixed price and that should be assured as the sale price.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
An asking price is the minimum price; that said, I always mark my domains as "Make an offer".

Philippe

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's not minimum price, it's price you ask for it.. I always mark them as make offer as well though.

pelican

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Asking price is just an invitation to offer and an idea of what the price range is for the buyer.

The seller can at any time change the asking price due to demand / time / season as long as it is not listed as fixed price.

nitronet

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
pelican said:
Asking price is just an invitation to offer and an idea of what the price range is for the buyer.

The seller can at any time change the asking price due to demand / time / season as long as it is not listed as fixed price.

Bull, the asking price is the same as a buy it now price.

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
(Bull, the asking price is the same as a buy it now price.)

I would tend to agree with this, if you place an add for a car for sale with an asking price of 500.00, yes asking price could be negotiated down but I have never heard of it being negotiated up. I wonder what a contract lawyer has to say about this, i would imagine sedo has details listed somewhere on how bidding works, otherwise when you offer an item for sale at a price and someone accepts the offer its a contract

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sedo is for negotiating, as there is no fixed price,until the seller agree's to the offer.

whereas with afternic, a binding price can be set with the "buy now" option, or offers above the "reserve" price.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dumb thing with SEDO. Asking price should be firm.

That said, BFD sometimes pulls the same crap.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ask price can be negotiated higher - reportedly Great Domains occasionally done that for some domains they list when people have inquired on them.

Negotiations is always a two way street - most often a seller will be willing to hold firm or go lower, but one can't always assume that to be the case.

Legal action ... even if a law has been broken, what kind of satisfaction can one hope to get? In the end, one will likely have to settle with the seller and end up paying more between legal costs and/or higher price for the domain anyways.

In regards to Sedo, they need to be more clear about pricing - have a Buy Now price and require sellers to honor such pricing; persons who don't should be suspended, etc.

Ron

JumpingJack

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I see houses all the time out here sell for $250,000 when the asking price was only $220,000.

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree Sedo needs a much more sensible and improved pricing option structure; at a minimum they should offer 3 options: Make an Offer, Buy It Now Price, and Minimum Offer Price. Not sure if they still have the upper limit of 10,000 ($, Euros or Pounds) for new tld names...if so, they also need to dissolve this artificial classification since .nets and .orgs, and even most .coms are in the same ballpark as most new tld names.

SedoCoUk

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello from Sedo,

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
We are constantly updating and improving all aspects of our system and the recent changes to the "add domains" section demonstrates this.
At the moment, the basic pricing settings are:

1. Make offer - no guidelines or upper/lower limits set
2. Make offer with minimum price - lower limit set
3. Fixed price - ie. buy it now

So - we do have three pricing options.

People who do not honour the fixed price option, (ie. buy it now) are consequenced.

There is one main reason why we would be a little wary of enouraging "buy it now" policies for all domains.
It is the same reason we monitor the amount of domains with a price of 10000 USD/EUR/GBP or more.
We want to avoid overpricing and speculation and ensure that we do not encourage unrealistic price expectations.
Such measures mean that you, the buyers, are more likely to get value for money and can negotiate the best price possible for you.
It also means you, the sellers, are free to return with a counter-offer of over 10000 currency units on receipt of an initial offer and can negotiate the best price possible for you.
We actively encourage communication between sellers and buyers over the platform and facilitate negotiations in every reasonable way we can.
Basically, pricing is the seller's perogative and negotiating that pricing is a matter for both buyer and seller.
Sedo simply facilitate that process.

If anyone has any further questions about buying/selling/pricing etc. please don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected] and [email protected].
Good luck to all of you with your domains!

Kind Regards,

Nora Cotter
Domain Broker

SEDO.COM :: Buy and Sell Domain Names and Websites

tel +49 (221)-420-758-287 :: fax +49 (212)-202-3951
email: [email protected] :: url: www.sedo.com

_______________________ :: make a name for yourself.

Matrix1976

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
SedoCoUk said:
Hello from Sedo,

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
We are constantly updating and improving all aspects of our system and the recent changes to the "add domains" section demonstrates this.
At the moment, the basic pricing settings are:

1. Make offer - no guidelines or upper/lower limits set
2. Make offer with minimum price - lower limit set
3. Fixed price - ie. buy it now

So - we do have three pricing options.

People who do not honour the fixed price option, (ie. buy it now) are consequenced.

There is one main reason why we would be a little wary of enouraging "buy it now" policies for all domains.
It is the same reason we monitor the amount of domains with a price of 10000 USD/EUR/GBP or more.
We want to avoid overpricing and speculation and ensure that we do not encourage unrealistic price expectations.
Such measures mean that you, the buyers, are more likely to get value for money and can negotiate the best price possible for you.
It also means you, the sellers, are free to return with a counter-offer of over 10000 currency units on receipt of an initial offer and can negotiate the best price possible for you.
We actively encourage communication between sellers and buyers over the platform and facilitate negotiations in every reasonable way we can.
Basically, pricing is the seller's perogative and negotiating that pricing is a matter for both buyer and seller.
Sedo simply facilitate that process.

If anyone has any further questions about buying/selling/pricing etc. please don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected] and [email protected].
Good luck to all of you with your domains!

Kind Regards,

Nora Cotter
Domain Broker

Ok, so basically, i can price all my domains at 60$ (
1. Make offer - no guidelines or upper/lower limits set) and have absolutely no obigation whatsoever to sell it at that price!?!? good to know

ohhh and those consequences you refer to for people who dont respect their buy it now price? what might those be exactly?? the only thing i have seen done in such a case is that the name was removed from the sedo listing and the seller just added it back a few days later....if that is the consequence, i think its a farce!

SedoCoUk

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello Matrix,

I think you misunderstand.

1. You cannot select fixed price + make offer.
So, if you want to enter 60 USD + make offer, you need to enter a minimum offer price of 60 USD + make offer
2. Minimum price offer and fixed price are not the same thing.

I thought I made this abundantly clear in my last post.
There's also another recent post about this exact topic in the Sedo forum.
In addition, this is explained again on the Sedo page where pricing options are displayed.
It would indeed be "good to know" this, should you wish to sell your domains successfully at Sedo.

So - is this what you meant?
You are the seller and set a fixed price of 60 USD for your domain.
A buyer agreed to buy at this price.
It went through to the transfer phase and the sales contract for both parties came into effect.
You, the seller then reneged on the sale and refused to sell for 60 USD.
You want to know exactly what consequences you would face.

Well -
A pertinant question would be why you would set a fixed price of 60 USD when the minimum commission is 50 USD.
A sales contract would be in effect.
A sales contract is an obligation to sell at 60 USD
The sales contract binds the buyer and seller to the sale.
The sales contract is legally binding.
The affected party would therefore decide how the disreputable seller should be consequenced.
Some decide to initiate legal proceedings, as is their right due to the breach of contract, while others decide not to.
That is a decision for the buyer, not for Sedo.
So - legal action would be one possible consequence.
The buyer could also decide on any number of other consequences, but we here at Sedo, would have no control over that.
We are not the domain police Matrix - be fair.
We can suspend the seller's account as a consequence of bad business practices, which would be yet another consequence.
We cannot hunt him down and force him to sell the domain to the buyer for 60 USD minus the 50 USD he would owe us in commission.

I'm not sure what kind of retribution you expect us to visit on renegade sellers but I'm afraid that our reach only extends to tactics such as account suspension, removal of other sales listings, deletion of account, blacklisting and deletion of other transactions.

While our procedure may seem farcical to you, I'm afraid it is all we can do. Our long arm does not stretch to personlly forcing you, the seller to fulfill a contract which you have entered into with a buyer.

A breach of contract is regrettable and can be a very frustrating experience for the buyer.
However, thousands of sales are conducted over our system every month. The percentage of agreements reneged upon is very small.
The very nature of a forum dictates that you will rarely hear of the large number of successful agreements.

I hope you understand that our pricing system is as comprehensive as it can be and that Sedo's consequences should be the least of a seller's worries in the event of a breach of contract.
The possibility of the buyer pursuing legal action should be more a matter for concern.

If you need any help selecting a price option for your domains, Matrix, please don't hesitate to ask our customer service representatives.
I would however, advise against a 60 USD pricing policy and I would encourage you to read our terms of use.

Good luck selling your domains!

Kind Regards,

Nora Cotter
Domain Broker

Matrix1976 said:
Ok, so basically, i can price all my domains at 60$ (
1. Make offer - no guidelines or upper/lower limits set) and have absolutely no obigation whatsoever to sell it at that price!?!? good to know

ohhh and those consequences you refer to for people who dont respect their buy it now price? what might those be exactly?? the only thing i have seen done in such a case is that the name was removed from the sedo listing and the seller just added it back a few days later....if that is the consequence, i think its a farce!

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DryHeat said:
Not sure if they still have the upper limit of 10,000 ($, Euros or Pounds) for new tld names...
Right, this has always been a pet peeve of mine. Trying to set a price above $10,000 used to launch a prompt to purchase a Sedo appraisal. Not good.

yesonline

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
carlton said:
Right, this has always been a pet peeve of mine. Trying to set a price above $10,000 used to launch a prompt to purchase a Sedo appraisal. Not good.

Much agreed!!

I don't see why or what benefits would SEDO would have by this limitation? It would not get SEDO many appraisal businesses but making unconvenient on SEDO's clients only.

If your clients want your appraisal services badly, they will go for it without your saying.

I hope SEDO would consider to take off the 10000 limitation pricing policy. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators