Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

cctld .ca sale listing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When you list a .ca for sale here on DNF, at the time you're listing the sale price, are you assuming the price is in USD or CDN? (Assuming of course you don't specifiy or forget to specify)

Domain Summit 2024

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Personally...before i bid i ask. It should be in Canadian though.

My reasoning behind that is when i email a canadian about a domain name they always tell me it's in USD. If they go out of there way to tell me...it's because you have to assume it's canadian.

By the way...that's a little different than co.uk and assuming it's euro. I think as a canadian i assume we are talking canadian currency because only canadians are able to purchase .ca's. So why would we ever need to deal with US currency? It's ALWAYS a canadian buyer.

Ang

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also assume CAD when dealing with .ca's because it's always a transaction between 2 Canadians so naturally we would assume we are dealing in Canadian funds.

However, at this current time the USD is better than CAD so if somebody chooses to assume we are dealing in USD I would go along with it.

Canadian

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I understand where you're coming from, and I know it won't necessarily be a Euro buying a .co.uk, but I do tend to see a relevance in assuming USD since every other extension sale on DNF is considered usd unless specified.

Not trying to be a pain, I'm willing to eat the $50 mistake, just trying to set expectations for the future. I've submitted the idea for consideration as a 'best practice' to include expected currency (even if only in the rule thread of .ca) to avoid frustration.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I used to assume all prices were in USD when dealing in domains, kind of like how gold is always traded in USD. A sales thread should specify one or the other to be clear. Hard to sort out after the fact. If it's a Canadian to Canadian sale for a .ca domain, you could see how the buyer would assume it's C$.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There seemed to be a change on this forum when the Canadian dollar hit par and beyond. It went from always American dollars to Canadian and now that it has shrunk back it seems to be either or. Buyer beware I guess!

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's always USD unless otherwise explicitly stated.

Canadian

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
do you know if that's stated anywhere in rules etc. nameslave?

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's funny, every name I bought or sold in the last 2 years were $cdn without question or being specified. I could get caught by that too, if someone told me $us after I claimed sold. I'd be a little pissed because if it's not clarified the seller should be the one to take the loss.

Canadian dollars seem to make sense, Canadian presence for buyer and seller, .ca forum, mostly Canadians. We should get the rule posted, $cdn unless otherwise posted.

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I always assume CDN dollar unless otherwise stated

Belzibut

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I bought a fair amount of .ca domains on this forum and it has always been in Canadian dollar. Makes sence to use Canadian dollar when buying a Canadian product from a Canadian that can sell only to Canadian.

My 2 Canadian cents.

victornumber

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I assume its CDN unless otherwise stated.

DNP

Trust & Reliability
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I assume its USD unless CDN stated.

lotsofcoffee

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree with HugeGrowth. In the past it was always USD. Then, when the C$ went to about parity, it was always C$. Since the C$ went down, it has been about 50/50 C$/USD and I'm always careful to double check which.

Pool is a Canadian company and always charges in USD for .ca domains. I don't think that you can assume that just because only Canadians are involved the currency is C$.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
do you know if that's stated anywhere in rules etc. nameslave?
I don't think it has ever been included in DNForum's rules.

I almost always explicitly stated in my sales thread (that it's in US dollars), but the point is, we are residing in a US "domain" whether we like it or not. And to say that just because we are selling .CA domains, then the prices would be Canadian dollars is unrealistic to say the least. What if we are trading .CN domains, are we taking RMB?

I would say unless otherwise stated, the $ (dollar sign) of ALL prices in *ANY* sales thread should be taken as US dollars.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Nameslave, ANYONE can own a .cn.... or ANYONE can own a .me .. etc etc. but only canadians can buy .ca's. Why should i ever have to deal with USD? It doesn't matter if it's on a forum or in person...or anything. It doesn't matter if i'm selling domains or peanuts. The price should be canadian, if you want otherwise it should be stated...not the other way around. THINK ABOUT IT.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if it's on a forum or in person...or anything. It doesn't matter if i'm selling domains or peanuts.
It actually does matter. When I did my moving sale (local pickups) at craigslist, I don't even need to specify the currency, because this is Canada, and we all use Canadian dollars. However, in the "domain" of domain names, the common currency is USD; and sellers or buyers who don't follow this "rule" are simply asking for trouble or some totally avoidable disputes.

Of course, DNForum *could* make it a rule that all prices are in CAD unless otherwise noted; but that would not be exactly wise, if you ask me.

Moreover, while many .CA registrants are Canadians, it does not necessarily mean they all prefer Canadian dollars. I for one could DEFINITELY use some US dollars. We all know that Ontario is actually the 51st state. LOL!

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Nameslave,

Have you done any buying from users not on this forum? Have you had any end users that were canadians? I can assure you if you don't clarify it's USD, there will be a dispute. Maybe on the forum because we all deal with USD on a regular basis we assume it's USD. The average person knows it should be Canadian dollars and i think that's how it should be. Either way ...we can all clarify in our posts when we try to sell or buy something to avoid confusion.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe on the forum because we all deal with USD on a regular basis we assume it's USD.
Sorry if I have not made this clearer, but I am talking about sales in DNForum or other US-based places (like WHT).

Yes, I have sold quite a few (not .CA domains though) to local end-users in Canadian dollars, and that is even taken for granted by both parties, partly perhaps we're talking face to face, and very often have other business transactions (in Canadian dollars) going on as well.

I agree that if trading on industry-specific forums like DNForum, we Canadians should play it safe and state the currency clearly in advance.

FormerDnForumer

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I assume USD always, as many sellers are not up front about this until you post "sold". You can see by this thread that there is no standard--people have different assumptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom