Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

cctld .ca sale listing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We work in an industry where the standard pricing is US $$

To avoid confusion I always use US.

Canadian or not it makes not difference.

Domain Summit 2024

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whether a domainer realizes it or not, they are running a business (without discussing tax implications).

I emailed Industry Canada about businesses charging in foreign currencies. IC replied that it's a provincial matter.

The currency in Alberta is the Canadian dollar http://www.alis.gov.ab.ca/et/studyinalberta/dailylife.html.

The other provinces are going to be the same.

I bought a fair amount of .ca domains on this forum and it has always been in Canadian dollar. Makes sence to use Canadian dollar when buying a Canadian product from a Canadian that can sell only to Canadian.

My 2 Canadian cents.

That's funny, every name I bought or sold in the last 2 years were $cdn without question or being specified. I could get caught by that too, if someone told me $us after I claimed sold. I'd be a little pissed because if it's not clarified the seller should be the one to take the loss.

Canadian dollars seem to make sense, Canadian presence for buyer and seller, .ca forum, mostly Canadians. We should get the rule posted, $cdn unless otherwise posted.

All my experiences are similar to above, both buying and selling, without issue.

All .ca domains, with the sole exception of Pool's auction (although renewals at Internic, domainsatcost are also CDN), are registered in Canadian $. And Pool CLEARLY STATES that transactions are in US $.

Sorry if I have not made this clearer, but I am talking about sales in DNForum or other US-based places (like WHT).

The geography of the forum doesn't matter, although nameslave should at least know that DNForum is actually a Canadian forum.

If someone wants to ask US $ in their post, fair enough.

But to demand payment in a different currency (why not demand British pounds then, they're worth more than US $ - the principle is the same) for a Canadian domain, on a Canadian forum, sold from one Canadian to another Canadian, in an unmarked post is absurd.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The geography of the forum doesn't matter, although nameslave should at least know that DNForum is actually a Canadian forum.
But to demand payment in a different currency ... for a Canadian domain, on a Canadian forum, sold from one Canadian to another Canadian ... is absurd.
That's EXACTLY my point because DNForum is a US-based forum.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's EXACTLY my point because DNForum is a US-based forum.

DNForum is Canadian.
If you don't know who Adam is, then do a whois of dnforum.com

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The only reason pool uses USD is because it has a bigger audience for .com. It only got into the game for .ca's later. The majority of its income is from .com.

All other backordering sites use canadian dollars. Such as Namespro, sibername etc etc. Why would they make you pay in USD? It makes no sense.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do not think there is any hard and fast rule. For instance I have sold many 5 figure dot ca the last year. at least 80% of those sales have been USD. I have had offers in CAD at times BUT those offers if accepted by me are factoring the 20% I would get if USD :)

So while someone may ask CAD it may be adjusted. jmo

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DNForum is Canadian.
If you don't know who Adam is, then do a whois of dnforum.com
Who is Adam? :D

I thought I was clear enough (but apparently not). DNForum is NOT a Canadian forum. Just because Adam (who happened to call me just weeks ago and helped recover some 800 domains at GoDaddy) is Canadian does NOT change the fact that this forum remains US-based.

victornumber

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess it changes. WHen CAN was worth more than US than the seller would gladly accept CAN but not when its not........then they won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom