Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Committee invitations going out....

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The other thread got to long so it was time to start a new one.....

Invitations will go out tomorrow to potential committee members... for the below mentioned task force.

If you would like to be involved please indicate so below:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
A new committee to analyse the future business development of the site will be formed to resolve these issues.

Will consist of 10-12 people that have ideas on the direction of the site.

The committee will dicsuss the business developments of this site and future direction and report back to the members.

-=DCG=-

Upvote 0

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
PS. Anything :cool: and constructive happening in the exclusive "Committee Decisions" section today/tonight? Any updates us lesser mortals should be apprised of? Appreciate your time and candor.
Thanks.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Oh. OK, thanks GD ... I knew I could count on you! :D
Will everyone (I mean, Platinum) have access to VIEW these decisions, once posted? Appreciate your time.
See you.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All membership levels will be able to view decisions :)

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by chatcher
I didn't volunteer for the committee, either.

Looking more and more now like it was "hand chosen", if you ask me ... as that's now two (2) members who did not volunteer and will not serve (at least in full-time capacity).
Interesting.
IMHO, of course.
:cool:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by anybody
What will this committee do? How much influence will they have?

Those are some good questions.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let me say a bit more about my reasons for declining to serve on the committee so people don't jump to the wrong conclusions. Personally, time was a big issue for me because dnjournal.com now eats up most of the extra time I have.

Just as important is how having Domain Name Journal affects some of the things I can or should be involved in professionally. Everyone recognizes that DNF is an important entity in the domain business. At some point I will undoubtedly be writing in depth about the forum (it is already frequently mentioned). To maintain my credibility I don't think I should be involved in any thing that relates to administrative functions at DNF.

If I end up writing something positive about the forum, people would say "oh sure he says that because he is an insider there, or tight with the owner (whom I've never met)" or whatever. If I write something negative it could be "oh he must have had a fight with the owner over how things should be run at DNF so he is writing negative things". You get the picture. I really need to remain a regular rank and file member here just as I am at DomainState (besides that will save me from taking a lot of heat committee members will have to take when they screw up!) :)

So don't read it as if I am trying to make a political statement of some kind. I am flattered that whoever made the decision on committee membership would like me to take part.

Back on a personal level - I'm not a big fan of committees as a way to get things done, but there are some quality people on this one and they all love domains, so they might prove to be the exception to the rule. I think it might have been better if the owners and members jointly nominated a number of people, then let the membership vote on ten or so to be on the committee. That would have felt more democratic I'm sure and since everyone paid the membership fee it would have been nice if everyone had a say in who represented them.

Having said that, you all know that I am a strong supporter of an owner's right to do what he thinks is best for his business. I always supported Greg in this and Adam, having been the person who risked his capital on this enterprise, has the same rights. So, while an "election" might have been nice it wasn't obligatory. Whether this and other decisions turn out to be good ones or bad ones will determine what kind of return Adam makes on his investment, just as it does for all business owners.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CoolHost.com

Looking more and more now like it was "hand chosen", if you ask me ... as that's now two (2) members who did not volunteer and will not serve (at least in full-time capacity).
Interesting.
IMHO, of course.
Of course it was hand chosen, no where did it state that the first to reply to the committee thread were automatically a part of the committee.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke
Having said that, you all know that I am a strong supporter of an owner's right to do what he thinks is best for his business. I always supported Greg in this and Adam, having been the person who risked his capital on this enterprise, has the same rights. So, while an "election" might have been nice it wasn't obligatory. Whether this and other decisions turn out to be good ones or bad ones will determine what kind of return Adam makes on his investment, just as it does for all business owners.
Exactly. Just as I saw this place as gregr's backyard barbeque before, DNForum.com is not and will never be a democracy; and PAID members are only granted LIMITED priviledges. Of course, it would be wise to include some customer input when making certain decisions that have direct impact on them. [/Disclaimer: This blunt reply is posted on a personal capacity.]

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GiantDomains

Of course it was "hand chosen", no where did it state that the first to reply to the committee thread were automatically be a part of the committee.

It didn't ... but, clearly, folks were chosen OUTSIDE of that committee thread, and people who posted WITHIN that thread were bypassed. I'm not complaining about me, I'm firmly against the principle of such a committee, but as others have pointed out ... I think the "selection process" could have been more open and democratic! Especially for a PAID MEMBERSHIP!
"Hand chosen" by management is just way too easy ... especially, as we're learning now, that folks were selected without even the courtesy of being contacted first to see if they'd be interested. That's pretty sad, if you ask me. IMHO. :upset:
I appreciate your post, GD ... but do you REALLY want to get me started again on this subject?!? :eek:
Thank you.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CoolHost.com

do you REALLY want to get me started again on this subject?!? :eek:

NO!

NameCaster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Oh great :eek: a group of bag lickers to make decisions for the DNF community.

Is this place going to hell in a hand basket or what? :laugh:

Cheers!

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NameCaster
Oh great :eek: a group of bag lickers to make decisions for the DNF community.

Is this place going to hell in a hand basket or what? :laugh:

Cheers!

Not that you will care, but as someone who was asked to be a part of the committee, I strongly resent that statement and assure you that I for one don't suck up to anyone.

I would invite you to re-think your comments and judge the committee on their efforts to assist, rather than your pre-conceived and biased ideas.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Mr Web, my guess is that folks are having an issue with the PROCESS for selection, rather than any issue with any one member. Certainly, I don't want to misquote anyone or speak on anyone's behalf.
You state that you were "asked" to be a member of the committee ... why do you think you were asked? Do you not think it would have been better and more fair to the paid membership had you been elected to represent us? Think about this for a moment.
In all the time I've known you here on this site, it's obvious that you're a great DNF'r and a man of integrity, intelligence. No question about that. Comments regarding the formation and selection of a committee are not comments against YOU. No way!
Finally, as a paid member, do you really think it's fair that you be asked to serve in the first place? Rather, how 'bout we ALL make "suggestions" and management then take the bull by the horns and make the improvements.
Again ... the process for selection/inclusion is the problem. IMHO, the committee was doomed from the outset. However, I commend your willingness to commit additional resources toward the cause!
I have absolutely nothing against you, and my guess is that no one that has posted thus far does, as well.
Can you see the difference?
Thanks.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do think that some people here have totally forgotten that this forum is owned by someone and financed by someone - it is a part of his business.
We as members are customers of his business and use the facility of this forum for a yearly payment, we've given to the forum but we don't own it - we can stay or leave.
I run a business too and I have 100's of customers, - I might ask for feedback from some of them at my choosing but I am sure not going to ask ALL of my customers to come together and thrash out how I run my business.
In the end it is my decision as to how I run my business and I see nothing different here. The owner has chosen to select a small number of people to give him feedback and suggestions from which he may or may not make business decisions.
Can you imagine what it would be like if everyone here had their say?
You or anyone else may object to the process, but it's not your business, it belongs to someone and it is for him to decide the direction of his business. Making offensive comments about those who have agreed to provide feedback and suggestions to the owner in an effort to help everyone is, in my view, uncalled for.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr Webname
Making offensive comments about those who have agreed to provide feedback and suggestions to the owner in an effort to help everyone is, in my view, uncalled for.

What the heck are you talking about, Mr Web?? :upset:
You were doing fine until that last part, highlighted above. I've done nothing but compliment those who were willing to commit additional resources. You have your opinions on the selection process, I and others have ours.
For you to state, "Making offensive comments ... " is indeed unfortunate. I have respect for you, Mr Web. Let's not make that situation change.
Thank you.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Coolhost you are not reading all of the posts, or if you are you are having selective memory. Offensive comments were made in this thread which prompted my response. Not every comment is directed at Coolhost you know.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr Webname
Coolhost you are not reading all of the posts, or if you are you are having selective memory. Offensive comments were made in this thread which prompted my response. Not every comment is directed at Coolhost you know.

Fair enough! I did not know that. :eek: :D
May I ask which comments, specifically, did you consider "offensive"? Hopefully, we'll be able to clear this up in no time ... so that we can get on with the business of domains, and not committees.
Appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom