Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Cowboys.com $275,000 Goes To....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffreyw

Football Club owner
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I hope MLS or the Major League Soccer could acquire MLS.com to replace their present crappy MLSnet.com

Domain Summit 2024

gmac17

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
or something fishy is going on....this just doesn't seem right.

acesfull

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Fishy going on......?

The only thing "fishy" going on is that this domain name is worth MILLIONS to the Dallas Cowboys...And they do not know it!...Fishy is spelled.....STUPID!

Peace!
Dan

And STUPID is spelled DALLAS COWBOYS.

Looks like we need to wait another 10 years before people understand the real value of a great .com domain.

The next time Cowboys.com is sold, it should be for over $1 Million.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
This was a horrible marketing decision, hard to believe that from a business perspective, Jerry Jones would pass this up. In the words of Jerry Jones;

“I can market and sell the Dallas Cowboys better than anyone else,” Jones said Wednesday. “The franchise can promote the apparel, and the apparel can promote the franchise.”

http://www.texnews.com/1998/2001/cowboys/app0525.html

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The next time Cowboys.com is sold, it should be for over $1 Million.

Why, resale on 90 yrs. revenue :lol:

1) Your end user isn't interested and if so they would rather sue you.
2) It was high at $275k, at $370k its at least a 30 yr multiple.
3) While very targetted your million dollar payout is based on hats, boots and homosexual activity. Not to mention a large majority who visit it dont give a crap about those things and quickly visit dallscowboys or a search engine.

Double the revenue hope the market continues to appreciate and you may turn a buck. How much I have no Idea from break even to $XXX,XXX but $1M? There are VASTLY superior domain names and earners for $1M . The investment to me is baffling. I dont get it, I over paid for something and hope I don't get sued. Yeeehaaa

acesfull

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why, resale on 90 yrs. revenue :lol:

1) Your end user isn't interested and if so they would rather sue you.
2) It was high at $275k, at $370k its at least a 30 yr multiple.
3) While very targetted your million dollar payout is based on hats, boots and homosexual activity. Not to mention a large majority who visit it dont give a crap about those things.

Double the revenue hope the market continues to appreciate and you may turn a buck. How much I have no Idea from break even to $XXX,XXX but $1M? There are VASTLY superior domain names and earners for $1M . The investment to me baffling. I dont get it, I over paid for something and hope I don't get sued. Yeeehaaa

Now that is pure idiot talk.

Chris_Usavio

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Now that is pure idiot talk.
Actually I agree with this person, the only way it could possibly be worth a million is if the dallas cowboys decide to pay that much for it. Any other way of profiting off of this domain is like above for MAYBE a cowboy apparel type shop but for $200k+ you can spend a HELL of alot of money and get great brand recognition to a site like gaycowboys.com or ANYTHING! There isn't anything that can truly profit enough off of this domain to make it worth that much.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
While very targetted your million dollar payout is based on hats, boots and homosexual activity. Not to mention a large majority who visit it dont give a crap about those things and quickly visit dallscowboys or a search engine.

I was not aware Cowboys had a homosexual market, only thing I can think of homosexual is that bareback movie, I mean that brokenback movie...lol

companyone

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I bet Jerry Jones had no idea this domain was on the market. The guys in his organization have most likely been trying to hide all the news reports on this whole 'royal mess up' from him all week...LOL

At about $18,500 a year over the next 20 years to own this thing...'no-brainer'

The branding/marketing/natural traffic value/brand protection value(s)... makes it cheap...for the cowboys football org.

How they never attempt to buy this domain 5-10 years ago, is beyond me.

The fact that they really thought they were buying this domain name for $275...is so very funny on one level...and so very sad on another level.

Talk about a 'disconnect'!

That shows you right there...that whoever is charge of promoting and protecting the Cowboys marketing and branding...is way out to lunch.

Peace!
Dan

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was not aware Cowboys had a homosexual market, only thing I can think of homosexual is that bareback movie, I mean that brokenback movie...lol

Absolutely it does. You either have to play the " straight " boots, hats, horses and chaps or the gay dating. Go gay dating and you have to resale to a limited market and for what amount ? Play the straight market and there may not be enough to improve on what already exists. I like the name no denying it but not my cup of tea for spending $370k.

At about $18,500 a year over the next 20 years to own this thing...'no-brainer'

Who knows.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why did the new buyers come in later at the higher price, and not buy in the live auction for possibly cheaper? Since the lawer thought he was dealing in dollars and not thousands of dollars, it would have been interesting to see how high he would have gone.

Because the Dallas Cowboys turned down their buy of this domain, does it make it 'safer' in terms of a challenge? Meaning, it kind of clears the way for the new owners so they don't have to worry about losing the name. Even though it's so generic, the DC would have a lot of $$$ to fight in court.

Are the new buyers hoping the DC will change their mind and want this domain in the future?

It is a very bizarre set of circumstances, no one could have made up this sort of scenario.

acesfull

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ya what the hell do I know. Its all stuff I just made up for fun, non of it reality or fact. :rolleyes:

So are you one of those a-domain-is-only-worth-X-times-PPC-revenue goofballs? (RollEyes here too).

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I bet Jerry Jones had no idea this domain was on the market. The guys in his organization have most likely been trying to hide all the news reports on this whole 'royal mess up' from him all week..

With Jerry's long rep of firing people, I would think whoever made this decision would of ran it by Jerry just so they could cover their ass...

I also think Moniker dropped the ball on this one too, Not just for the 275 call out, but to accept a bid solely on one callers word. I don't know what the bidding norm is for Moniker, but I would think they would capture valid credit card information or some kind of deposit before accepting such a large bid.. If they accepted a deposit of lets say $1000 or $10K, this would of eliminated the "I thought it was only $275.00" BS story.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So are you one of those a-domain-is-only-worth-X-times-PPC-revenue goofballs? (RollEyes here too).

And you the shit name owner who thinks everything is worth $1m .

Maybe try using the search function or my profile and threads to see what I sale and how I decide value. It is not based on revenue only. I would further explain the approach but it would be wasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom