Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Disturbing Microsoft's "SmartTags"

Status
Not open for further replies.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Fargin Bill Gates and his control the world mentality.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a few sites are starting to turn off smarttags in their meta tags - don't know if it works though.

M

mortario

That's what we are doing right now. Just inserting tag that will turn it off.

jag5311

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
what is the code to turn them off?

M

mortario

From this page:
http://www.glassdog.com/smarttags/

Here's the code:

PHP:
<meta name="MSSmartTagsPreventParsing" content="TRUE">

BUT .. we couldn't verify where the code came from originally (we searched Microsoft website for smart tags with no luck on the subject.). We also don't know whether it's actually working or not since none of us could reproduce the problem. That's the reason why I posted here to see if anybody else have similar problem. For now, we just insert that snip and see if they still complaint. :D

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perhaps it wasn't a MS Smarttag functionality, but similar link-stealing/over-writing from third party software? Those kinds of programs are often bundled with Kazaa or other freeware.

M

mortario

Originally posted by GeorgeK
Perhaps it wasn't a MS Smarttag functionality, but similar link-stealing/over-writing from third party software? Those kinds of programs are often bundled with Kazaa or other freeware.

That was I thought at first but since both of them are realtors, I doubt it that they install that kind of software.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
They may not know that they have installed that kind of software. Some of it auto-installs via Active-X and most people stupidly surf with active-x enabled because they don't know how to turn it off. Disabling it gets rid of Flash banners, stops some auto-installing software like dialers and password harvesters, and backdoor trojans.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mortario: have them try running "Ad Aware" (from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ ) to see if it was one of those malevolent programs that is causing the problem.

S

Silverwire

I could be wrong, but I think Microsoft shelved the Smarttag feature for IE under industry pressure. It was a big issue over selling keywords in conflict with domain names as well as the intent of the website, but I don't remember clearly. Unless there are some IE beta's that had it in?

M

mortario

Thanks GeorgeK .. I have forwarded your link to supports. Last news I get from them was about XP took the blame. They removed the tag and left the page like it was before. So far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom