Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

DN Forum Spawns a New Acronym!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to note how much influence Domain Name Forum is having on the domain community. It is even being reflected in domain registrations now.

The site uses the URL dnforum.com. When I started coming here last summer people kind of though the dn was a necessary evil since spelling out domain name would make the URL too long. But DN wasn't really a strong enough acronym that everyone immediatelty thought "Domain Name" when they saw it.

At that time you could find boatloads of domains starting with DN that were unregistered. I must say that I was caught by surprise when DNJournal became the overwhelming forum choice for a new project of mine. Many cited DNForum as proof that it was the best possible choice (even though the word Domain was spelled out in another good option).

In researching possible names I was also surprised to find that almost all of those DN names that were there this summer have been registered! I think you can only point to DN Forum as the reason that prefix is now viewed as synomous with domain names and now being widely used by people throughout the community. People are even "reaching" for names like dnbarn.com now!

How far this place has come in a few short months!

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think DN has been recognizable as "domain name" for awhile now (before DNforum)...I mean we've all been using DNS for many many years.

DNjournal is nice!

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But all of the domain names starting with DN have just been snapped up since this summer. I looked at a ton of them in July that were available then and are all gone now. If DNS was the reason they would have been gone long ago. I think the forum has triggered this run on those names particularly for reseller sites and news coverage sites (almost everyone I could think of was taken)

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You have to admit....its a lot nicer than those "nic" names...

Getting the general public to understand NIC is hard...when half of domain users are puzzled by the term..

At least if no one has seen DN...it is easily figured out in a matter of seconds

:)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hated all of the NIC names as well. Don't even like URL. I try to avoid initials in general, but DN seems to have broken through that perception barrier. I was against using it, but the vote here changed my mind - as did doing all those name searches that showed all of those disappearing over the last few months.

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'v got only one - dnSpot.com - it might make a nice domain for an internet doggy ;)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I stuck one extra one away - dnplus.com. Thought it might be a good idea to prevent someone using it and causing confusion with brandsplus.com.

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree Duke. I would never have considered buying a dn name until I found this place. A site for dnstudio.com is now being planned.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Darn this place! It's not like we didn't already have enough stuff we have to register! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators