Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

DNF Low-baller called out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salient

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is the content of an email I received from member: tomclowes

"Hello there,

My name is Tom Clowes, and I am in the website development business.
I am currently in the process of expanding my portfolio of domain names,which hopefully should time allow I will then go on to develop.
Your domain name wifi.com stood out to me as being a great domain for branding based on its short, and simple nature.

Based on this I would be prepared to pay you $100 USD for you to transfer ownership of this domain name over to my name.
If you are interested in dealing at this offer payment can be rendered via paypal, google checkout, or nochex.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this offer, and hope we can negotiate a deal of some sort.

Many Thanks for your time,
Tom Clowes"

I am 100% sure this DNF member is the same person who sent me this ridiculous, even disrespectful low-ball offer. The email address was from 6th.info and the connection was verified through checking the whois for rers.com (RERS Group).

I strongly recommend you do your research before attempting to contact a domain owner. I would hate to think you would offer such an amount to anyone for a category-killer domain name, especially someone who is not nearly as informed as I.

Tell you what, if you are interested I will send you a copy of my portfolio so you dont embarrass yourself again by sending me another low-ball offer.

Good day,
Stuart.

Domain Summit 2024

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah he is an spamming idiot he promised here he will stop spamming but seems he did not. He is stupid like a dog because he is spamming obvious domainers...

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are you sure about the name? Could it've been Tom Low's, or Tom Clown....?

You never know, if he get's one name like that for 1,000 emails sent, I'm sure he can live with the embarrassment of getting called out!

Devil Dog

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You never know, if he get's one name like that for 1,000 emails sent, I'm sure he can live with the embarrassment of getting called out!

The odds of acquiring a name as such are probably higher than hitting the lotto.

Thomas Nash

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What I don't understant is why offer $100, why not make a more respectable offer that may just tempt someone out of a killer name. Ie. xx,xxx for Wifi.com would still make lots of profit and your more likely to get some names if you offer 'Decent' amounts.

Surely no-one would be stupid enough to sell a brilliant generic for $100 but you might just tempt an uneducated domain owner with a few more zero's and still land a great domain for a great price.

Devil Dog

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Surely no-one would be stupid enough to sell a brilliant generic for $100 but you might just tempt an uneducated domain owner with a few more zero's and still land a great domain for a great price.

Exactly, there might be some uninformed premium domain owners out there, but not THAT uninformed. Offering $100 for wifi.com, which, more than likely, they've paid that amount in renewal fees is preposterous and silly.

That's like me knocking on someones door and offering them a price on their home equal to the mortgage payments they've made in the last 2 years.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
He may have just sent offers to owners of CVCV.com's, without sorting out whether they were words or not.

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i've heard of Tom Clowes too

GUA

Gremlin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Im here, dont worry. Nor am I trying to hide.
Just completed my 3rd $x,xxx transaction through the 180 emails I sent out.

I have contacted a few people who are users here, all have them have amicably declined. Fair Play to them.

I start at $100 because you never know. In a negotiation you dont start high..

My point is the people who are professional have made an $x,xxx sale. Salients posting here has lost him any chance of a deal (not that he wants OR needs one).

Just to put it into perspective again. Another 4 letter, one word domain holder I emailed has now asked me, and will pay me to develop his domain.

Sorry if you were offended. I am not a spammer. I have learned from past mistakes, and what is more no need for the snarky comments re your whole portfolio as I have only sent 1 email to any email adress.

I am not embarrassed. I am trying to earn money here, and I have done nothing wrong.
Thanks

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actually, technically, he's done nothing wrong. Its an offer. He can offer even $1 on it if he wants to, since nowhere does it say on any domain that "we accept offers only above xxx amount".

But Tom, I've had much more success (and respectful replies) by offering a good xx,xxx amount for premium names.

ScottFish

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Agreed - it's best to lowball by 30% or so and not 300,00% :)

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know who he is. And if he's spamming he should know better. But then again, it might not be construed as spam if it's a targeted offer. Mind you, nothing wrong with 'lowballing' at all.

Salient

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Salients posting here has lost him any chance of a deal (not that he wants OR needs one).

Just to put it into perspective again. Another 4 letter, one word domain holder I emailed has now asked me, and will pay me to develop his domain.

Sorry if you were offended. I am not a spammer. I have learned from past mistakes, and what is more no need for the snarky comments re your whole portfolio as I have only sent 1 email to any email adress.

I am not embarrassed. I am trying to earn money here, and I have done nothing wrong.
Thanks

Let me try and explain my position here, Tom.

Firstly, as you can probably imagine, the fact I have lost any chance of a "deal" with you has thrown me for a loop. I was really counting on it to make my year. Considering I make more than $100 a day from WiFi.com I should have jumped at the offer. Mea culpa.

Secondly, it would be nice if experienced domainers like yourself actually did some research before trying to get something for nothing. Hey, I am all for getting the best deal possible, but taking the time to establish a domain owners relationship to the industry may help you make an informed, and educated offer.

You see, not everyone who owns a domain name operates in the domain name industry. However, I can assure you domainers who make a habit of making ridiculous offers on quality domain names do nothing but give the impression to those who do not understand the industry like we do that most domainers are scammers who are attempting to prey on unsuspecting domain owners.

Lastly, obviously you have not learned from past mistakes, or you wouldn't have been called out today. For future reference you may want to try omitting a dollar amount from your email inquiries.

I do accept your apology, no harm done.

Regards,
Stuart.

James

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is the content of an email I received from member: tomclowes

Your domain name wifi.com stood out to me as being a great domain for branding based on its short, and simple nature.

Based on this I would be prepared to pay you $100 USD for you to transfer ownership of this domain name over to my name.

$100 for a $200,000++ name :jaw: I'd be embarrassed

jim

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
He may have just sent offers to owners of CVCV.com's, without sorting out whether they were words or not.

Yep, thats what he did. I got one of them today too, exact same email content and name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators