Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Domain Escrow service -- what would you like to see?

Status
Not open for further replies.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wish I had the education and backing to start this but unfortunately I do not. The scammer thread is starting to split off into the possibility of a domain escrow service and what it should have.

This is what I've come up with:
  • Client verification (buyers and sellers)
    • Utility bill (electric, etc..) with all user's current address shown on it
    • Billing address must match the utility bill
    • Phone call verification or a card mailed to you with a access code (similar to what AdSense just did over the past few months)
  • Payment vertification - verify the payment is from a legitemate source as well as they can (Seller's protection)
    • Credit card w/ billing zip code as a verification?
    • Billing address for the credit card MUST match the billing address on the account
    • Bank account's address must also match the billing address on the account
  • Domain Verification - verify that the domain is lefitemate (buyer's protection)
    • Escrow service has an account with primary registrars (Moniker, GoDaddy, etc..)
    • Seller gives the authorization code to the escrow service, when the screow service verifies the payment, they request the domain to the seller's registrar BUT under the escrow's account - fees paid by the seller
    • Escrow service verifies the domain is what the seller claimed it to be (Like books.com and not b00ks.com. Possibly even contact the previous domain owner to verify this is the legit owner.
  • After all information is verified as legit the escrow service pushes the domain to the buyer and the funds, minus any fees, to the seller.
One question, say it is a transfer from Moniker to GoDaddy. GoDaddy will charge a 1 year renewal fee. If it is transferred from GoDaddy to GoDaddy, will they also require another 1 year registration tacked onto the domain (doubling the domain registration fee)?

Fees:
  • Buyer pays for the domain transfer fees on top of the agreed price. If the domain sells for $500, then the escrow service will add on $6-$10 for a one year renewal fee (depending on the registrar)
  • Seller pays for any transaction fees, whether it is a % of the total sale (minus the reg fee) or a flat rate.
The escrow service could also include parking, auctions, etc..

Anything missing before someone runs off and devolops this?

Domain Summit 2024

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wish I had the education and backing to start this but unfortunately I do not. The scammer thread is starting to split off into the possibility of a domain escrow service and what it should have.

This is what I've come up with:
  • Client verification (buyers and sellers)
    • Utility bill (electric, etc..) with all user's current address shown on it
    • Billing address must match the utility bill
    • Phone call verification or a card mailed to you with a access code (similar to what AdSense just did over the past few months)
  • Payment vertification - verify the payment is from a legitemate source as well as they can (Seller's protection)
    • Credit card w/ billing zip code as a verification?
    • Billing address for the credit card MUST match the billing address on the account
    • Bank account's address must also match the billing address on the account
  • Domain Verification - verify that the domain is lefitemate (buyer's protection)
    • Escrow service has an account with primary registrars (Moniker, GoDaddy, etc..)
    • Seller gives the authorization code to the escrow service, when the screow service verifies the payment, they request the domain to the seller's registrar BUT under the escrow's account - fees paid by the seller
    • Escrow service verifies the domain is what the seller claimed it to be (Like books.com and not b00ks.com. Possibly even contact the previous domain owner to verify this is the legit owner.
  • After all information is verified as legit the escrow service pushes the domain to the buyer and the funds, minus any fees, to the seller.
One question, say it is a transfer from Moniker to GoDaddy. GoDaddy will charge a 1 year renewal fee. If it is transferred from GoDaddy to GoDaddy, will they also require another 1 year registration tacked onto the domain (doubling the domain registration fee)?

Fees:
  • Buyer pays for the domain transfer fees on top of the agreed price. If the domain sells for $500, then the escrow service will add on $6-$10 for a one year renewal fee (depending on the registrar)
  • Seller pays for any transaction fees, whether it is a % of the total sale (minus the reg fee) or a flat rate.
The escrow service could also include parking, auctions, etc..

Anything missing before someone runs off and devolops this?

I think Rockefeller (on this forum) developed this last year...

Ehsan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
how about all of us doante say $10 and get some exclusive account in this escrow service and this money can go into developing of this escrow service etc while the features and policies can be decided by the donaters and members here on the forum ?

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would like to see a regrular update, perhaps daily, that has the status. Its frustrating to go for days without any status. The auctions are worse, it can be weeks from close of auction until receiving payment.

Daily updates are good. it can be configured for those who woudl prefer less frequent email.

For a company, email is good - sending out emails to your optin base is one of the best site marketing tools.

Kevin

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
perhaps this might help...but don't forget the thread is almost 2 years old

http://www.dnforum.com/f72/dnforum-com-escrow-service-discussion-mode-thread-135472.html

jim

Not a bad thread, what ever happened to it?

What's wrong with escrow.com?

One sided verification.
From the thread mentioned above:
Sue starts transaction at Escrow.
Adam agrees to transaction.
Sue sends money to Escrow.
Escrow confirms money received.
Escrow then tells Adam to transfer the domain.
Adam transfers the domain.
Sue receives the domain.
Sue tells escrow se received the domain.
Escrow sends money to Adam
Escrow closes transaction.

Current charges about:

$0-$5,000 3.25% ($25.00 minimum)
$5,000.01-$25,000 $162.50 + 0.26% of amount over $5000

High transaction fee for lower end domains (for me, $100 on a domain is a heck of a lot of money right now, that's 25% fee).

More security on the seller, the buyer can leave the WhoIs information in tact and claim they never got it. or it isn't what they agreed upon. (This can also happen with physical goods, too).

I think there should be a service that protects both the buyer and seller.

I would like to see a regrular update, perhaps daily, that has the status. Its frustrating to go for days without any status. The auctions are worse, it can be weeks from close of auction until receiving payment.

A transfer manager, perhaps. Received domain, received payment, payment sent, domain sent, etc, and the ability to print out printer--friendly report.

Email updates as each step goes or daily, that isn't a bad idea, too.

DomainMagnate

Domain Magnate™
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One sided verification.
From the thread mentioned above:

High transaction fee for lower end domains (for me, $100 on a domain is a heck of a lot of money right now, that's 25% fee).

More security on the seller, the buyer can leave the WhoIs information in tact and claim they never got it. or it isn't what they agreed upon. (This can also happen with physical goods, too).

I think there should be a service that protects both the buyer and seller.

Many people mention that but I've seen anyone reporting any problems because of it ;)

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Many people mention that but I've seen anyone reporting any problems because of it ;)

I can't afford to use Escrow now and I don't think anyone would use it to sell a domain for less than $900-$1,000 which is way out of my league at this time.

Paypal is one of my few options at this time which offers no protection. Lower the minimum, even something like $5 would get more traffic for them.

Yofie

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have looked into an escrow service like this pretty deeply....

The problem is, there really is not much in it for the escrow company.

If you have let's say a $100 escrow. Credit card companies charge approx 3% to process the transaction. So that's $3 off the bat of a fee that has to be charged to the person using the escrow. Then the time factor for the escrow company's services, the insurance for covering Charge backs, site development, credit card machine, a system to payout the money to the seller, site development, maintance to the site, employee costs......

That's why escrow.com charges $25 min.

I also really wish there was an easier and cheaper way, but I have tossed around the idea many, many times... heck, I still do toss it around and try to figure out a way and I might of just figured one out, the problem..... it's not the fastest.

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Moniker's escrow is good enough. You have to transfer the domain first to them, which pretty much means that there can be no fraud

DirectoryNetwork.com

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can someone list escrow services available on the net?

dnkid

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is this process violating any terms and conditions set forth in the T&C and User Agreement of the various registrars? Having Seller A push to escrow account, then escrow account pushing to the buyer account. My guess is registrars will not allow this, but I'd like to get some of your interpretations.

themandave88

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Escrow.com commission level of 3.25% actually kicks in at ~$770, so at this level you are looking at an escrow fee of only $25.03, that is a good service at a good price in my opinion.

Definately agreed in the case of a transaction of that magnitude. The only problem is that the vast majority of domain sales are not at or above the $770 level.

As it was mentioned before, escrow.com pretty much rapes you if you are selling domains at $250 or less.

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
[/LIST] Is this process violating any terms and conditions set forth in the T&C and User Agreement of the various registrars? Having Seller A push to escrow account, then escrow account pushing to the buyer account. My guess is registrars will not allow this, but I'd like to get some of your interpretations.

sedo does it

dnkid

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
sedo does it

tristanperry said:
As does Moniker's escrow :)

Yes but in those cases, the escrow is the registrar themselves.
What if the escrow is a normal individual like you and me?

Seller A pushes the name to my Moniker account. And later after money is received, I push the name to the Buyer's account. Does this violate any terms & conditions set forth in the User Agreement or T&C with Moniker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom