Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

FirstnameLastname.com (Personal name, unique) - What's the best way to get it back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DumbDomainer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I need some help for a lost domain.

Suppose this situation:

1. Mr. Elumons Wurnoliks set up a blog at www.ElumonsWurnoliks.com.
  2. After 1 year forgot to renew, somebody bought the domain, put up their own content.
  3. Mr. Elumons Wurnoliks wants to get the domain back, but the new owner of the domain has inaccurate whois data (email invalid, phone leads to prerecorded message in foreign language). Domain reg info is all Japanese. No way to reach them, no contact info on website either.

The name is unique (there is no other person with that name).

What's the best way to get the domain back?

Thanks for anyone taking the time to reply.
Dunkan

bmugford

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The domain you listed above is not even registered at the moment.

Brad

DumbDomainer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, you are right, it's a random example because I do not want to disclose the actual domain.

I filed a complaint with ICANN, got an email from them and confirmed the complaint. What's the timeline for when I can expect a response?

Thank you.

bmugford

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The complaint will be forwarded to the registrar to deal with. I doubt you will receive any further response from ICANN.

Brad

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DumbDomainer guy, there are other ways w/o contacting ICANN, they should care if the WHOIS is invalid/outdated/fake but ICANN can't force the current owner to respond, if fact they are not in the business of giving you the registrant's info, they just ensure the WHOIS is accurate so you can use it. Is the domain right now a page of some sort ? If it's parked, use the CONTACT US FOR MORE INFO link or so. Or email the parking co, they may fwd the email to the owner w/o giving out his identity. Or email the registrar, they could do exactly that too. Check marketplaces too even if it's a proper/given name (a person's unique 1st + last name) Many domainers submit their domains for sale in bulk not realizing they're including names they do not intend to sell (I have)

I imagine you'll offer him money for the domain once you contact him and unless he has YOU in mind (selling it to you only since it's such a rare name) he has to be nuts to keep it and look to sell it elsewhere (What kind of "content" does he have right now using your full name, it's weird, did you mean he's monetizing it some way with ads or is he developing it ?)

As for filing a complaint w/ICANN, that's a lost cause. Unfortunately, you forgot to renew and he picked it up, he did nothing wrong unless you can prove he's profiting from your full name in some way. Also, we do NOT have the right to our own full names in domain form, even if there are no two people with the same name on earth (it would be hard to prove anyway, your 1st name may be unique or it was invented by your parents, and your last name may be so rare too, but it's not something you naturally own) My feel is he got the name w/intention to sell it to you and you alone, otherwise he's a nutcase ... why would I buy a foreign, strange or unique full name in the aftermarket ? it defies logic.... and if it's so unique he could not have handregged it unless he had already targeted you and the webpage you had

DumbDomainer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Angel,

yes, what you say makes a lot of sense.

The page is a defunct Japanese page, apparently related to mail order. Maybe they registered it because of a high PR rank.
The domain isn't listed for sale, contact forms aren't working, whois incorrect.

I'll try to reach him via the registrar.

Thanks also regarding clearing up legal situation, knowing that it's a lost cause saves me time & hassle :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators