Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

[For Newbies] How to stay out of trouble of trademarked domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imneazmh

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello friends, This is NeazMH. This is my first contribution to my Favorite forum- DnForum. I want newbies to know how to stay safe when choosing a domain name. That's why I'm writing.

Even though your choice of domain is brilliant, it may not be so neat from a legal perspective. If your domain name conflict with other company’s trademark, you may receive Cease-and-Desist (C&D) letter from trademark holder or company to stop using the domain. And your all money and sweat you have spent to develop it will go in vain. So, stay out of trademarked domains. Before I show you how to stay out of trouble of trademarked domains, I want you to check following two sources to understand trade mark problems in depth. I personally found following two links extremely helpful; that's why I'm sharing with you.

a) Youtube Interview with a Lawyer
b) A Huge List of FAQs about trademark

How to Stay Out of Trouble?
Are you bit scared? There is nothing to be scared at all. You will be just fine, if you follow the things I show before you register your domains.

The most important place to go for checking potential conflicts is the trademark database of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office at www.uspto.gov. To check for registered trademarks in the United States, follow following steps:

• Go to www.uspto.gov
• Now click on the Trademarks link.
• Then click on Search TM database (TESS).
• Click New User Form Search (Basic).
• Ok. Now type keywords from your planned domain name in the Search box and click Submit Query. Bingo!!! It will let you know whether there are any trademarks (dead or alive) for your given term.
• Repeat above process for all of your domains you want to register.

And you should do some Google Search with your domain related keywords which will tell you whether others are using it or not.

Hope this short tutorial helps. :)

Thank you
NeazMH

Last edited:

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting, what about trademarks form other countries ? Don't they count ?

Vikz

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the information. Very useful indeed. Based on the United States trademarks list, is it possible to buy a US trademarked name with a different country's extension without getting into trouble? (for eg: will not register a .com or .us but might look at registering a .be or a .in)

Last edited:

imneazmh

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the information. Very useful indeed. Based on the United States trademarks list, is it possible to buy a US trademarked name with a different country's extension without getting into trouble? (for eg: will not register a .com or .us but might look at registering a .be or a .in)

The rule of thumb is that Just stay away of any trademarked domain whatever the extension is.

Even sometimes generic words can have trademarks but you may use those cautiously. For example, suppose you may register Amazon.cctld but you won't be allowed to use this domain for selling books. However, you may use this domain for other purpose, like providing info about Amazon rainforests.

Hope that you got some idea now.

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
excellent contribution!

sent ya 500 DNF$

Arrogance

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the contribution on TM, good article

kabir1008

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
good info - what do you do if you have 1 close to a trade mark
I have one gpscityonline.com and there is a gps city trademark name?

rubardi1

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I got rid of my 'iphone' one and someone picked it up still. I simply steer clear of trademarks.

imneazmh

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
good info - what do you do if you have 1 close to a trade mark
I have one gpscityonline.com and there is a gps city trademark name?

Avoid anything related to trademark name. But if you want to play with fire; the choice is yours.

Doc

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well i have a couple of trademark names ... didn't search about them... As soon as i got to know that they are TM names just changed the whois and removed them from sedo parking ? so i let them expire or delete them ?

Thanks

kabir1008

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That name I have I registered before I knew about checking trademarks - maybee good to just not do anything with it and let it expire.

Thanks

Glenn

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most interesting information! It's so hard to get, good solid information like this. I have saved it into my special domaining folder for easy access. Thanks a lot, Neaz. :)

imneazmh

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most interesting information! It's so hard to get, good solid information like this. I have saved it into my special domaining folder for easy access. Thanks a lot, Neaz. :)

Hi Monica. I'm glad that my short tutorial added some value to your knowledge. :)

NeazMH

Albert Tai

Downloading More Ram!
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I got a great way to get rid of trademark names.
Sell on ebay and post the apprisal on estibot...lmfao you can sell more than reg fee.
~Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom