Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

good lord, what's up with all the rudeness...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cappuccino said:
Don't worry, even the owner of this forum doesn't bother to respond to his PM's, even when asked a specific question.

That gives you a pretty good idea what to expect around here, and what kind of "culture" is promoted from the top on down.
The truth is Adam (a.k.a. DotComGod, the owner of DNForum) gets about 600 PMs a day (okay, it's an exaggeration but I guess you get my point) so sometimes even I don't get my reply, but I know he has been trying his best. Just imagine if Britney Spears reads all her fan or hate mail. ;)

bladex5k

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with nameslave. Being the admin of this site must be real hard being that there is so much activity going on. He must get so many PM's a day reguarding problems and stuff like that. I can only understand why he doesn't answer some of the PM's.... because he hasn't gotten around to all of them yet. Cut the admins and mod's some slack...

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
Same experience with me, except they replied with www.bored.com %+| I finally got the domain though for a couple of ks
I got a polite reply when I made Eric an offer for bored.com :wink:

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cappuccino said:
Don't worry, even the owner of this forum doesn't bother to respond to his PM's, even when asked a specific question.

That gives you a pretty good idea what to expect around here, and what kind of "culture" is promoted from the top on down.

bladex5k said:
I have to agree with nameslave. Being the admin of this site must be real hard being that there is so much activity going on. He must get so many PM's a day reguarding problems and stuff like that. I can only understand why he doesn't answer some of the PM's.... because he hasn't gotten around to all of them yet. Cut the admins and mod's some slack...
PS ... If you send a PM to an admin or a mod, you will get a prompt reply. Adam is the owner, and stated a long time ago that all support issues should be directed to mods and admin, not himself, so if he doesn't answer, it's most likely because he forwarded the PM to an admin.

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i didn't read all of the replies, so if this was already mentioned, i apologize
for reposting it again and wasting your time :)

the reason i stopped posting in the "domains wanted" section is because
every time i did, no matter how CLEAR i made my request, i'd always get
a box full of domains completely opposite from what i requested.

so, reading your original post, where you said that it costs nothing to simply
reply "no thanks", it actually does cost quite a bit.

the time i wasted reading the completely pointless PM already made me mad
enough to smack the idiot who just sent it to me over the head. if i request
1 word .coms and i get a PM box full of everything else, and i'm forced to
read through 60 PMs that contain the opposite of what i requested "but with
potential", i get mad.

it's not 5 seconds, but about a minute to read, analyze and reply. multiply
that by 60 and you just wasted an hour being "nice" because of idiots who
just felt like spamming you with names they couldn't give away for free.

now it gets better, when you actually do reply with a friendly, "no thanks" you
get a price drop, or the "it has unlimited potential" reply.

time is money.

here are some rules to live by on this forum: (this lesson is on the house)

1. if you don't get a reply to your PM on a "great" domain list you just
assembled, that means the buyer is NOT interested.

2. if someone is rude or not talkative, it means that they don't want you
knowing what they know. this business was BUILT on knowledge and
secrecy. knowing something a second before your competitor gives you
an edge.

3. keep your eyes open and mouth shut. the more you watch (listen) the
more you learn. notice how the top players hardly ever post? it's not
because they're shy.

4. EVERYTHING you're experiencing has been experienced by everyone else
starting out. it's part of the game, not just in domains but in virtually every
field. learn to live with it.

good night!
luc l.

bladex5k

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Luc probably just shut us all up. I saw we just stop arguing. If you don't want to reply to a PM, then don't reply, simple as that. It's not that you are being rude, it's just that you are not interested or you found something else.

As Luc said, time is money, and that is 100% correct IMHO. Going through 60 some-odd PMs will just take up time. And if half of them aren't even what the person is looking for, then they have just wasted valuable time.

Time is money, but time is also valuable.

Amazing how a thread can turn the whole tables in one post.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bladex5k said:
....I can only understand why he doesn't answer some of the PM's.... because he hasn't gotten around to all of them yet. Cut the admins and mod's some slack...

There is more to it than that I am sure.

bladex5k

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I doubt it. The mod's and admin's are always busy here. If you were a mod or admin, I'm sure you would understand, right?

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think one of the problems is that many people have forgotten (or have never really discovered) that politeness and a cool, rational attitude can often help grease the wheels of business and lead to levels of customer service that an attack or rant never will.

Happens to me all the time - I read about particular domain-related companies that "never respond to customer service enquiries" and then think back to the reply I got from them within a few hours or a day or so when I found myself faced with a problem. Of course, some companies clearly offer much better support than others, but it's almost impossible to find a company where all avenues of communication are closed to polite, reasoned approaches.

I know this thread is mainly about dealing with people rather than companies, but the same basic rule applies.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Luc said:
the reason i stopped posting in the "domains wanted" section is because
every time i did, no matter how CLEAR i made my request, i'd always get
a box full of domains completely opposite from what i requested.
Right on, Luc. That's why some established forums out there a) have VERY STRICT rule enforecement where offers posted do not EXACTLY meet the requests are deleted and repeat offenders warned; and b) actually prohibit or at least discourage asking for bids and offers via PMs, as this works contrary to what discussion forums are all about. Yet another step towards a better and more professional forum. ;)

bensontwenty

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Luc said:
here are some rules to live by on this forum: (this lesson is on the house)

1. if you don't get a reply to your PM on a "great" domain list you just
assembled, that means the buyer is NOT interested.

2. if someone is rude or not talkative, it means that they don't want you
knowing what they know. this business was BUILT on knowledge and
secrecy. knowing something a second before your competitor gives you
an edge.

3. keep your eyes open and mouth shut. the more you watch (listen) the
more you learn. notice how the top players hardly ever post? it's not
because they're shy.

4. EVERYTHING you're experiencing has been experienced by everyone else
starting out. it's part of the game, not just in domains but in virtually every
field. learn to live with it.

good night!
luc l.

OK newbie on the board putting in his twopence worth here. I've read all of the replies in this thread and each one has valid points however the best one appears to be from Luc. Some great advice there and ones which I follow anyway. The most important one being number 3.

I am a training manager in the real world and this is one of the lessons I use all of the time - its one of the best tried and tested ways to learn a new skill. And to add to this, can I say - Use the Search facility. Nothing grates on people more than seeing the same question posted once a week with the same answer posted back. We all use search engines as a matter of course, but why do people on forums always forget they are there.

One final point - how many times have you sent in a job application only to not hear anything back. Is it a nice feeling - no. But do you get in your car, drive down to the company and put a brick through their plate glass window - absolutely not. What do you do? You deal with it and move on - chalking it up to experience. Treat unanswered PMs the same way and you will have a happier life and a lower blood pressure.

Anyway, this has been an interesting and educational read. Thanks everyone

izoot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One final point - how many times have you sent in a job application only to not hear anything back. Is it a nice feeling - no. But do you get in your car, drive down to the company and put a brick through their plate glass window - absolutely not. What do you do?

You mean this is a inappropriate response?!? Hmm...I think I will have to make a few calls to apologize on Monday :) <jk>

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There's karma....folks who are rude, or back out on deals eventually have karma turn against them. I've seen it happen time and again...

scorpio

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It gave me a smile to read my name in a post By Wm. M. Sex.co.uk did not give me money , But it did give me is recognization. It did make me excited and many others.But then i even got offers as low as 1000$ from here for the same name and 65k too. The name may have worth More. But then What I found was when people are suspicious They became rude, Indifferent. But when they found it was a error by The registrar , There was a lot of support.

I Belive in giving other person as much respect as I want from him..

And Its all business and there should be no hard feelings in it... Everyone in here is here with some motive .It can be Money, Knowledge or even Name... So lets move on to that Final goal together.. :wink:

scorpio

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
karma? Not a clue what that means.. lol
In Buddhist teaching, the law of karma, says only this: `for every event that occurs, there will follow another event whose existence was caused by the first, and this second event will be pleasant or unpleasant according as its cause was skillful or unskillful.' A skillful event is one that is not accompanied by craving, resistance or delusions; an unskillful event is one that is accompanied by any one of those things. (Events are not skillful in themselves, but are so called only in virtue of the mental events that occur with them.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators