Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

good lord, what's up with all the rudeness...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfis.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
..on the other hand , we could just learn to be nasty & rude - just kidding !

I my opinion the problem with rudeness is : in the forum are many members from many ethnic backgrounds and what is for these people a normal way to do business is for other members thought to be very rude. - I could be wrong ,but this is the only explanation that I have for some behaviors.

where I come from (mars) - it is very rude to offer someone 60 bucks for a wonderful one worder , but I happens to me close to everyday. I found my own way to deal with this rude behavior - I drink allot ... (again just kidding)

I believe the best way to deal with this issue (topic) is to excuse there rude behavior and ignore them. also remember who is rude and make your own 'blacklist' - I have one , I started one 8 month ago.

Domain Summit 2024

paymaster7

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, nevermind, I as just hoping to promote a sense of better relations within domainers. Now, I'm just annoyed, lol and wondering why I ever bothered. In fact, I'll probably break my own requests in this post, which is a testament to what I said.
Thanks for the reasonable responses and I certainly think that everyone had valid points.
I didn't point any fingers. I do't see why my asking for more politeness is the same as me "splattering paint on communities" and whatever absurd hyperbole Captain Mole of the Good Ship Misplaced Indignance was talking about. Nor do I believe that I have to 'show my credentials' but you keep watching those cop dramas there, kiddo. I AM saying however, that there is more rudeness in the domaining world than any other business I've been a part of. And yes Mole, to preempt your presumably hilariously witty and urbane response (i'm positively shaking with anticipation to see what perceptive analogy you make next time), my only business experience is a) flipping burgers b) cleaning whale innnards c) cleaning up septic tanks and d) crying to my mother.
And if you thought I was talking about you, there's a certain Carly Simon song you should check out. :)

-INSPIRED BY FAMILY GUY
- Dedicated to my one true love - Mole

LOL. The Obi Wan Kenobi joke was particularly funny. Because see, he was a character on Star Wars. And he was wise. And he had a funny way of putting things didn't he that wise old kenobi? I declare. What a clever chap he was. And then, what you did, what you did was COMPARE me to Obi Wan Kenobi. Because you were mocking me because you thought I was sounding wise. That was good. See, because you said Obi Wan kenobi in a slighting way. Because you were trying to insult me. Wow, that's fresh. I love what you did with that joke. Especially the Star Wars master thing, that was good stuff. Man, you're really funny. Hahah. Obi Wan Kenobi... that must go over well, i mean that's good! But there's no stopping you is there, Mr. Man With The Golden Joke is there? No, no, you irreverent fellow, you threw in overtones of being bullied as a child! Haha, a brilliant stroke! There's no holding you back is there you rampant psychologist jokester! My oh my, how can people STAND to be around you? Guts must perpetually burst from laughter in your presence. To go from Obi Wan Kenobi to emotional scarring.. why.. why... that's ingenius. I mean, that's REALLY FUNNY. The monestry (presuambly not what you wanted to spell) part was great too. I loved the way you weaved that in there. To throw in the religious overtones to a joke, that spices things up. You're like Bill Cosby with less inhibitions. Because see, what you did there was replace what you might usually find in a monestry (good try kiddo, keep the vocab studying up) with something else. See, see, normally you would find MONKS, but you, you you irreverent prankster took that other step. Hoo boy. The good standards of society can't keep YOU down. Poofs for monks? Good lord, the daring. The DARING! You are a funny funny man. Pardon while I wipe helpless tears of laughter from my eyes. Oh my. I love what you did with that joke. Really quite quite funny.

wolfis.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LOL - wonderful paymaster , humor takes care of it - well done !

biznews

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Paymaster,
Once you buy a $50,000 domain, (even if it is crap) you will get all the respect you need. I see it how members respond to big time buyers. There is certain choice of words with politeness and courtesy, which they do not use for an ordinary member.

The real issue is, there is no standard created for domain valuations. Those which claim expertise in the field are still working on a bias of self imposed credentials. No wonder, every one assumes that their portfolio is the best and want the maximum of it and completely the reverse when it comes to buying from another.

I think a better way to acknowledge domain buying requests would be to place a disclaimer which clearly says - will respond only to offers which we are interested in. This way, if there is no response, you know why!

I myself have approached tens of domain buyers soliciting my domain sales and I have never come across a rude reply ever. Those who are arrogant in their reply were probably those who went through a bad phase during their domain buy/sell career and perhaps this is how they operate their daily business.

Today's lowly domain seller could be a big shot tomorrow. In any business, being poilte counts. People remember!

adutopia.com

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As a newbie. The very first post I put in these forums

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=54582

I was thrashed for asking the ?? How do you get the dollar amount for those domain names??? I know more about SEO than most, which is my forte and not domain names, but I wanted to learn more. I am not a newbie webmaster but new to the domain name game. I almost quit the forum because of it. I just asked a simple question and got slammed. On the adult webmaster boards and search engine boards I am a member of this would not have been tolerated, especially by the moderator. The one difference is here ( domain boards), money is exchanged. On the other boards I mentioned there are instances of that, but not to the same extent as Domain boards. As we all know. When money is thrown into the mix things happen.

Sometimes we all (me included) need to not get so personal on issues and understand that some people are new. Some of the questions that people ask amaze me. Such as 2257 in adult webmaster boards (2257 is age verification statement and records) what is ppc?? That is so basic, Kinda like DNS is to domain names. But we have to remember where we came from. I can tell you story after story of people who taught me and helped me build a very successful web busines. If they didnt take the time and give me some pointers I would definetly not be as successful as I am today. On that note we have these supposed big players who in a post said when you can sell 250k worth of domain names talk to me. ( I made more than that off my websites) and was insulted). I have never forgotten where I came from and am very thankful for the help that I have been given.

There are barriers such as language barriers, things taken out of context and just rude spiteful people. Some questions are taken out of context and a whole host of other things.

I have to say this
Paymasta is one of the reasons i stayed on board. He said not to sweat the posts and keep on learning. He has helped me numerous times. He is on my instant messenger and keeps me abreast of the different boards. This IMHO is the reason boards exist. To share knowledge and exchange ideas. So when There is one deal that was out of both of our controls and we met each other 1/2 way. He is a true professional and we should be proud to have him as a member of this board

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is one add'l variable you need to put into the mix.

We all have that occasional "bad day". And, we bark at
everything. :-(

So, when I see a forum member lashing out when it is not
his typical style. I give him the benefit of the doubt.

I have bad days, too. (That is usally when Duke tells me to
grow up.) :-D

flatt

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I find this thread to be an interesting read.

I've been around since forever basically. While I very rarely post, I'm here reading these forums everyday. I've bought and sold several domains here and everytime both my partner and myself have been happy.

Most people here are quite friendly and are a pleasure to work with. But one of the sticky points I've run into is the friction between high-level and low-level players in domaining. For instance, for me domaining is a hobby. Quite simply, I probably break even (or even have a small loss) when it's all said and done. But it doesn't matter, it's fun and interesting, not to mention I like the forums. I equate domaining more to collecting baseball cards or stamps than say running a car dealership. Others will have the exact opposite view of it and that's cool. There is money to be made. But I have a case in point where I've had to deal with rudeness than sprung out of said situation.

I put up one of my best domains under a "make an offer" situation around mid-afternoon sometime back. I left to go to work or some such thing. Came home tired very late and decided I would check up on it in the morning. The next morning I see I had 2 pm's waiting for me from the same person. This person was quite experienced and seemingly trustworthy. The first pm, received a couple hours after my post, included a extremely lowball offer. While I understand everyone wants a good deal, there was no way I could have sold the name at that price (even if I really needed the money badly). The second, marked a few hours after that, was extremely hostile calling me a "newbie" (despite the fact said person never bothered to check when I joined), that I was the worst person said person had ever dealt with, and was contacting administration and others on the forum not to deal with me. All this before I even had a chance to respond. Completely asinine.

Not all of us live on the internet. Yes, I understand the importance of being prompt but this was all done in about 5 hours! I wrote back the next morning, still much less than 24 hours after my original post, saying that there is no way I will deal with someone so rude. Prompt, in my opinion. The whole situation irked me very badly.

Maybe it's just nostalgia at work, but when I first came here, it was far more relaxed when it came to most things. Not everything was so cut throat. Heh, I don't know how many people even know this place more or less got started because NameWinner used to have community forums that were closing down. I tend to dislike how everything has become so extremely commercialized here (and pretty much everywhere else). This used to just be a spot where domainers would hang out and swap. But that's life.

So, I guess I'm pleading for everyone to be nice to the smaller players as well, we're probably the ones that will end up buying your names at higher prices anyhow. And just because someone isn't there right away doesn't mean that they are bad people and trying to screw you over. That and a little courtesy goes a long way.

FMS

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When writing to someone who has a domain for sale or otherwise, its important to remain diplomatic and professional. You are representing yourself or your company, you are not anonymous (anyone can check the whois).
Treating domainers rudely because they are owners of certain domains is ridiculous. I bet there are some very wealthy individuals and companies here, who prefer to invest big money in other ventures, and vice versa.
Just because someone owns an expensive domain does not mean they are, ethical, polite, wealthy or otherwise. The person made a good investment.
As to the internet...well its one of the largest communities producing the novo riche, so just let it go...There are plenty of intelligent people abound, and you might even be surprised once in a while to find out who is really who in the zoo (big grin) There are plenty of wolves in sheeps clothing abound on the internet. However, this is a risk we take, as with any other venture in life.
As one very wise teacher once said "..the path to hell was paved with good intentions, and they will get whats coming to them eventually" Karma

M

mole

wolfis.com said:
where I come from (mars) - it is very rude to offer someone 60 bucks for a wonderful one worder , but I happens to me close to everyday. I found my own way to deal with this rude behavior - I drink allot ...

LOL, hic hic

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Politeness costs nothing and gains everything.

mole said:
Who are you to judge, oh master Obiwan Kenobi? Please post your credentials and your domain collection. You seem like a trouble maker with no sense of the domainer.
Mole, those two sentences make you a hypocrite on two levels. You're part of the problem, not the solution. The day you post your credentials and your domain collection is the day you can make the same judgement on someone else.

M

mole

Beachie said:
Mole, those two sentences make you a hypocrite on two levels. You're part of the problem, not the solution. The day you post your credentials and your domain collection is the day you can make the same judgement on someone else.

Hey beach, please feel free to ask for my credentials if I call you rude. There is a fine line between a wimp and a domainer. Sure, I have had many 'request to buy' emails unanswered in my 5 years in domaining. Do I think they are rude? No, its just the nature of things which I have to learnt to accept.

Does anyone owe you a living? Frankly, no. What has PayMaster7 done for the community. Ziltch. Just do a search of his posts.

The worst members I have encountered on this forum are those who think the "community" (whatever that is) owes them respect and politeness just because they paid $50 bucks to be a member. Go join the church or Al Kaeda if you want politeness, for christ sake.

I was right about Paymaster (whatever), I deliberated drew his true colors out and like clockwork, he cracked. If you want to insult a community, go ahead. But be prepared to take the consequences. Simple.

D

Deleted member 4749

JuniperPark said:
Is it "crossing the line of rudeness" to ask a broker, who is advertising services in a DISCUSSION forum why he's been banned in all other forums? NOPE.

Send you a PM.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Beachie said:
Politeness costs nothing and gains everything. Mole, those two sentences make you a hypocrite on two levels. You're part of the problem, not the solution. The day you post your credentials and your domain collection is the day you can make the same judgement on someone else.

I don't think those comments were deserved but it does seem Mole is perhaps our most secretive member. No one even knows what nation Mole is located in let alone some of his domains, and I predict we never will :eek:k:

M

mole

RealNames said:
No one even knows what nation Mole is located in let alone some of his domains, and I predict we never will :eek:k:

hahaha, of course some people here know who I am, just that they respect a person's right to privacy. That, I appreciate, is true politeness. Respect given is respect returned.

adutopia.com

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
The worst members I have encountered on this forum are those who think the "community" (whatever that is) owes them respect and politeness just because they paid $50 bucks to be a member. Go join the church or Al Kaeda if you want politeness, for christ sake.

Fyi mole the correct spelling of Al-Qaida is Arabic for the foundation. You must be good at the misspelled domains :clown:

Credentials--- What organization gives individuals credentials in domain names. Please give me a list so I can have credentials

mole said:
There is a fine line between a wimp and a domainer.
Can you explain this??? Makes no sense to me

paymaster7

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mole said:
Hey beach, please feel free to ask for my credentials if I call you rude. There is a fine line between a wimp and a domainer. Sure, I have had many 'request to buy' emails unanswered in my 5 years in domaining. Do I think they are rude? No, its just the nature of things which I have to learnt to accept.

Does anyone owe you a living? Frankly, no. What has PayMaster7 done for the community. Ziltch. Just do a search of his posts.

I was right about Paymaster (whatever), I deliberated drew his true colors out and like clockwork, he cracked. If you want to insult a community, go ahead. But be prepared to take the consequences. Simple.
Dude, you need to take a Xanax or something, Mole. I don't know what your problem is, but it's pretty clear to me that at no point did I insult anyone in particular or any forum. I was calling for politeness in general. It's very odd that you've taken such offense at that. However, it's been abundantly clear to anyone who read this post what sort of person you are. You've certainly not made yourself look like a rational human being. Clearly you have no sense of humor, as my original post in response to yours was an adequate way of defusing tensions. Certainly better than flying off on irrelevant tangents about credentials. It's pretty obvious that at no point did I claim to be a domain expert or an old hand or anything. Never have I said that. That being said, you don't know the first thing about me, so personal attacks are ridiculous. However, a call for courtesy can come from anyone can it not?
At least everyone else has been more or less reasonable. Take care folks,
John

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sounds like a few members are trying to make themselves seem too important for their own good...

this started as a good-natured topic about courtesy and has turned into a bloodbath...

the only thing I hope, is if anyone has a beef with me, please PM me so we can discuss it - the problem here is going to be personal attacks which everyone will need to read about...try sending some PM's if you have a problem with a particular member...

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GT Web said:
....the problem here is going to be personal attacks which everyone will need to read about...try sending some PM's if you have a problem with a particular member...

But that takes the excitement and fun away from it :-D

nicpal

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It has become evidently clear that some on this forum have mistaken being arrogant morons for a "good or respected domainer" whatever that is. While being forthright and demanding are great attributes to have in any business, there is no need for the arrogance of a select few who like to flaunt their "credentials". I didn't get to laminate my "credentials" yet, but I'll be sure to make plenty of copies for everyone so that I can get validated next time I post my opinion as well. The fact that someone hasn't posted enough on this forum, or hasn't established themselves yet, is not grounds for being lambasted by someone, just because you feel you have the right to for whatever reason. Remember that we all started somewhere, and you probably wouldn't be where you are today without the help of others!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom