Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

google Brand New Domain Names Released to the Internet - The Rush Begins ... - PR Leap (press release)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
plato1 said:
Cant agree.

You get free domains, you get all free email and you even get free hosting with it.....I registered quite a few :)

It works fine...in fact so fine I am surprised .....the upgrade to browser is no problem at all (just like any other upgrade eg flash, adobe etc. Just to be sure, I got some friend to try it and nobody had any problems. we even checked for any viruses etc and we find it is totally clean. Being sceptic is ok, but maybe a bit more investigation or trial is called for before dismissing it outright.

You can see this is a global system (it looks to be pretty big also) by the number of different websites from usa, germany, uk, china, etc etc and I agree that -as already said above - as they are transferable that you can sell them. So I am stocking up......you never know...stranger things havee happened...buy for zero and sell for something = low risk to me and I could do with retiring early!!!

Thanks

Even with the backing of ICANN and much of the Internet establishment, not to mention and overriding logic behind their implementation, IDN could not get established relying on the adoption of a plug-in for IE 6.0. It has taken the arrival of IE 7.0 to start things moving.

I still think is is fraudulent to call a plug-in and upgrade. If Microsoft wrote IE then they are the only ones that are entitled to call any modifications made an upgrade, in my view. Any other modification could more accurately be described as a third party bastardisation.

plato1

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ouch - I wouldn't like to argue against you on a dark night in the middle of the street!

Hmmm, interesting point but I do like the dotworlds idea and i find that most of the people I have spoken with are taking it up as well (although I think the moment its more like "stocking up" on free domains in the hope it might be valuable later)

The idea has got to be appealing that you can now have something www.pop.idol (which nobody will forget) instead of having to use say www.iwannabe1234/photos/mysong/letmewin/please.com ....because all the other .coms are taken)

I mean lets face it, how many website do you remember without having to look it up. Most people only know google or yahoo. I dont want to remember millions of website addresses, it aint necessary - however I do want remember a lot of my buddys and this dotworlds idea makes it fun and lot more imaginative. As long as it works....that's what people want

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done any deep research on their TOS?

1. if you will be automatically billed after a year. 2. if you are able delete registrations incase their is an auto billing. 3. is their a catch that is not set right before our eyes? (besides the plug-in)

gemsergio

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the email yet?

plato1

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hi, can u tell me were it says that. I dont see it at all.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you attempt to use the email address for a dotworld extension if it fails most validations. Also how would the SMTP know where to send the email? So for mail this just stinks as you might only get .01% of your requested mail. I can't imagine anyone at AOL would be able to email you at all.

This might be good for a test throwaway domain. Something to throw test pages on.

plato1

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i dont think this email system works exactly like that. they say on their website it is impossible to spam these addresses "even if you know the address to send to"??

I think i get it - I am just working it out...back soon

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
From where I am standing the main attraction of these so called domains is that they are free.

It never ceases to amaze me how many on here really believe there is such a thing as a free lunch.

If you cannot sell an extension then simply give it away and hopefully one day it will be worth a fortune. Didn't really work with dot info or dot be. The problem is that there are hundreds of other Wannabees out there, who have the same naive idea of filling their boots with free domains and then selling them for a fortune before the first renewal fee is due. The problem is that market forces dictate that the market is awash with expiring names nobody wants, the sales threads are swamped with junk and the extensions themselves are irreparably damaged.

The only people that are laughing all the way to the bank are the dot com die-hards, as they know that more alternatives there are out there, the less likely it is that any of them will ever gain any serious credibility.

The ironic thing is that even these die-hards are just about ready to recognise the potential of alternative to dot com, just as IDN will greatly increase its dominant position worldwide, with a massive expansion of the dot com registry to the expense of just about everything else. The reason they are making this mistake, however, is that they largely live in a one diminension world where everyone speaks English, so they jump to the conclusion that there is no potential in doing Ecommerce with anyone that is not ready to navigate the internet in the language and script they wish to impose.

gemsergio

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well imagine if microsoft starts doing the same with un upgrade to IE what a freaking mess and google goes with mozilla for the competition and do their own lol millions of misspells a whole new world.
Damn I wish this could happen

11jsd

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"If you cannot sell an extension then simply give it away and hopefully one day it will be worth a fortune. Didn't really work with dot info or dot be."

How much did it cost to originally register sex.com?

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
11jsd said:
"If you cannot sell an extension then simply give it away and hopefully one day it will be worth a fortune. Didn't really work with dot info or dot be."

How much did it cost to originally register sex.com?

Not a great deal in terms of cash. The investment, however, was absolutely visionary. You would be hard pressed to find much inspirational here. These are tired failed ideas.

wienerdog

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've got to say this thread causes me to lose a lot respect for this forum.

So tell me, why would this service ever take off if a bunch of squatters hog all the names?

First you have to have sites that actually use the domains, and not just parked pages and adsense re-routers.

And I distinctly remember a dozen or so services just like in the dot con era.

Anyone remember RealNames browser plug-in that was going to END domain name altogether, and we'd all just search the web with RealNames?

http://searchenginewatch.com/sereport/article.php/2164841

jazzpetals

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What makes the "hogging" as you call it different from any other extension?

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
jazzpetals said:
What makes the "hogging" as you call it different from any other extension?

Nothing at all, except with dot com it does cause a lot of annoyance as others actually want the names.

kiviniar

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
some facts -

DOTWORLDS TERMS AND CONDITIONS

5. PAYMENT

5.1. In the case of free domains the Customer will not be obliged to pay the Fees to the Company for the period contracted by the Customer from the date when the Customers application has been accepted and payment will only be due upon renewal as provided for in Clause 6 herein.

5.2. The Customer shall pay the Fees to the Company in the manner and at the times indicated by the Company to the Customer from time to time.

5.3. The Company reserves the right to increase the Fees at any time on giving not less than 7 days notice to the Customer.

5.4. The Customer shall be responsible for and shall fully indemnify the Company against all chargebacks, cancellation fees and penalty charges made against the Company in respect of all transactions entered into between the Company and the Customer where the Customer has been identified as the registrant or proposed registrant of the Domain Name.

5.5. All sales are final but any refunds are to be at the sole discretion of the Company upon request made by the Customer to the Company by email at [email protected], whereupon the company, at its sole discretion, may apply an administration charge for any refund given.

5.6. The Company may terminate this agreement at any time and cancel the Customers registration of the Domain Name if the Customer fails to pay when due any Fee, or in the case of free domains at any time or for whatever reason. Following such termination and/or cancellation the Domain name may be resold by the Company and registered in the name of any new customer.

6. RENEWALS

6.1. The Customer shall pay the Fees in respect to the renewal to the Company on or before the Renewal Date in respect of all domains

Just try ur hand for fun (Registered a few myself)........... not worth paying for though - .com are still hot

www.koollog.com

plato1

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
re question on email above from gemsergio

I think i found out how it works and it has some pssibilites

I registered email address [email protected] and I tested it as follows

1) I can send and receive to other email addresses like this (eg [email protected], [email protected] etc etc) no problem

2) I can also send from [email protected] to my personal yahoo (.com) mail account (although the system initally marked the email coming from [email protected] as possible spam....but after I clicked "no spam" it comes thru all the time now)

3) however, I cannot send from my yahoo account to these type of addresses - this is obviously a different system. I think this is why they say it is spam free. I tried several times just in case - but you are blocked

So what it seems to be is a sort of private network which you need to join and prob suits groups buddies friends etc (rather than commercial) and you use email addresses that are a bit more wild/sexy

hope this helps

[email protected]

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
plato1 said:
re question on email above from gemsergio

I think i found out how it works and it has some pssibilites

I registered email address [email protected] and I tested it as follows

1) I can send and receive to other email addresses like this (eg [email protected], [email protected] etc etc) no problem

2) I can also send from [email protected] to my personal yahoo (.com) mail account (although the system initally marked the email coming from [email protected] as possible spam....but after I clicked "no spam" it comes thru all the time now)

3) however, I cannot send from my yahoo account to these type of addresses - this is obviously a different system. I think this is why they say it is spam free. I tried several times just in case - but you are blocked

So what it seems to be is a sort of private network which you need to join and prob suits groups buddies friends etc (rather than commercial) and you use email addresses that are a bit more wild/sexy

hope this helps

[email protected]

Yes, that is just about it. A complete parallel system with no meaningful interaction with the one everyone else uses. All you have to do is pursuade everyone else to stop messing about with ICANN and adopt this system and you'll be millionaires overnight. The problem is there are a lot of Wannabee Webs out there and each time one crashes to the ground another springs up!

11jsd

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This almost certainly will not be the next 'big thing', but maybe a few of the names may become useful. For example I registered a.z , now if you could just type that in your browser without the www. as you can with regular domains, surely that would be much better than something like dictionary.com??? I also think things like book.shop, shoe.shop, etc could be useful.

The main point is that its free, so nothing to lose except for 5 minutes of your time, just take your laptop with you next time you go for a *!*!, no time wasted at all then.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
11jsd said:
This almost certainly will not be the next 'big thing', but maybe a few of the names may become useful. For example I registered a.z , now if you could just type that in your browser without the www. as you can with regular domains, surely that would be much better than something like dictionary.com??? I also think things like book.shop, shoe.shop, etc could be useful.

The main point is that its free, so nothing to lose except for 5 minutes of your time, just take your laptop with you next time you go for a *!*!, no time wasted at all then.

Well of course the browser that the pluggin is being implanted on will resolve domains without the www. The whole point is that these domains are not on www. so if you put that in you might totally confuse the pluggin.

These "domains" as many similar keyword systems before them produce wonderful names that get duplicated on other systems over and over again. It is a bit like having an office network that is not created to the internet and making up user names all over the system. Nothing particular wrong with it but it is just a private network. It just isn't an intergral part of the world wide web. Lovely having exotic or even highly generic domain names, but if the they do have any reasonable hope of every bringing traffic to the sites, then they are worthless.

We have been over these kinds of arguments over and over with IDN, and to some extent the ASCII domainers have a strong argument that the value is in the traffic. The only flaw in their argument is that when the most valuable ASCII domains were registered, there was no traffic. IDN are being registered in the very realistic anticipation of very large amounts of traffic, which is not only inevitable but fairly imminent. These domains would have to be registered knowing that there is never ever going to be any realistic prospect of significant traffic, which is precisely why they are free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators