Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

google.us

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by zouzas ...another interesting concept i came across is http://www.nameshare.us :) [/B]

Interesting how it seems almost impossible to figure out what the domain names they are offering even look like or their structure. Even reading between the lines it is still not apparent, at least for me.

I spent a long time at their website and on the faq's and did not see that info anywhere. Have no idea if they are selling the new (and quite unsuccessful) .NAME tld or something else perhaps.

Frequently when a firm makes it tough to figure out what they are selling it's either an over-priced product/service, or an unpopular one. Why else make it difficult? It seems they want you to first open an account before you get those critical details.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://www.google.co.uk

I think we should keep everything in perspective. Don't get me wrong, I like some names in the US category, but seriously, these posts seem to be informing us of something "unique" and "different". Google is well known for using ccTLDs:

http://www.google.de

What would be interesting if they "didn't" use www.Google.us

Keep in mind, we will start to see use of Dot US, it's inevitable. Just don't "try" to force something that is obvious. I think it's far to early to see any trend right now. We will know when it happens when US based sites start dropping their dot com names all together for US ones

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it's called "wishful price inflation propoganda":laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

EDIT: read as: pissed off 'cause I can't buy .US :D

DNS Kidd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nameshare.us looks to be selling surnames in the .us cTLD.

My name, which I own, was listed as "not available". Maybe I'll receive an offer to buy???

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Pod, I dont get it...why dont they just use .com :D

I have said all along that ccTLDS are where the growth is..

You need to quit being so paranoid pod..know one said this is "unique" what we are showing is the movement INTO the ccTLDS..of narrowing/Targeting your customers and offering them Country specific information...being part of that community...the closer you get to your customer the more sales you will make.

I believe I have already pointed that out..

http://dnjournal.com/columns/us.htm

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21622&highlight=cctlds

Yes, lets put it in perspective..you dont see Google.Biz and you dont see Google.Info ..do you..!

Dont get me wrong.. I love .Biz and .INfo ..they have ther places..but I think the most obvious rise is in ccTLDS and of companies understanding the importance of ccTLDS in reaching Country specific markets.

BID

Originally posted by izopod
http://www.google.co.uk

I think we should keep everything in perspective. Don't get me wrong, I like some names in the US category, but seriously, these posts seem to be informing us of something "unique" and "different". Google is well known for using ccTLDs:

http://www.google.de

What would be interesting if they "didn't" use www.Google.us

Keep in mind, we will start to see use of Dot US, it's inevitable. Just don't "try" to force something that is obvious. I think it's far to early to see any trend right now. We will know when it happens when US based sites start dropping their dot com names all together for US ones

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well they only reg'd Google.us for brand protection didn't they?
And it wouldn't make sense to divert it anywhere except the normal Google.com service :)

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by devolution
Well they only reg'd Google.us for brand protection didn't they?
And it wouldn't make sense to divert it anywhere except the normal Google.com service :)

Ummm NO.. :)

Brand protection they dont need a website.. Google isnt worried about anyone registering Google.us and using it for anything..Obvious TM..

Did they register Google.IT , Google.DE etc for brand protection? Of course not..

They idea is to give country specific results.. Go to Google.DE and Google.It etc and you see you are getting .DE webistes and .IT websites ahead of every other extension..

the same will happen with Google.US ..probably within the year.. you will get .US websites listed above all other websites ..UNLESS you choose the "search the web option"

Try it at Google.DE ..you'll see what I mean..

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here Dev.. for example.. You are in Germany and searching for a new car..so you goto Google.DE and search for Cars..

most of the results will be .DE websites ..

http://www.google.de/search?q=Cars&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=de&btnG=Google-Suche&meta=lr=lang_de

They are showing the "local" suppliers/websites before the other extensions...

Now we hear the story "well .com is the us extension " Well yes at this time it is....but what you will see inthe coming years are companies targeting the US market, oversea's and US based by using the ccTLD specifically for their US customer base the same as you see the the .DE and .IT etc..

And the Search engines were one of the first to recognize and fill this need by restricting or giving prefrence to "local" ccTLDS...giving etter results for there customers and and enlarging their own customer base.

Thisnk of it like this..

Lets take that "Cars" search for example... if you own Cars.US ..you can highlight all the US manufactured cars (is their really such a thing any more ;) 0

So your site is about Ford and GM products , you can discuss how well built they are compared to "foriegn" vehicles.. you can wewave the US flag if you like ..and you arent going tom take much falk over it. your proud your an american , buy our products, support our economy etc..

Now if you try and do that on your .com you are going to piss off half of your customers.. see what I am saying..
Cars.com you want to "tippy toe" make sure you dont offend anyone, because your traffic is generalized, it's from everywhere .. You arent going to talk about how better american cars are , your are not going to say buy from US Cars.comto support the American ecoonomy etc..

This is the same fopr all extensions.. it gives you a more personally relationship with your target market.. Hey, I am gernman and I want to buy from a german supplier and etc.. works for every extension.. the same support our economy, patriotsim, nationalism ..simple Pride...

NOt even going into the other more daily concerns of why you want to locate .US or .DE or .IT websites...for reasons of wanting a local supplier, of knowing if you need to return something fromthe states you dont have to pay shipping to Germany, from knowing that support is going to speak english or whatever your native lanquage , to knoweif you call the comapny ..you know it may be long distance..but at least it isnt an international call .. many many reasons..

This is the direction we are headed..

.com and ,net etc all still have their places but I think you will see this ccTLD direction is very real , and the growth is very strong..
because Companies are understanding ccTLD can provide excellent access to specific markets.

Doesnt mean they are forsaking one extension for another..only utilizing each extension to gain maximun exposure for their products/services

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner

the same will happen with Google.US ..probably within the year.. you will get .US websites listed above all other websites ..UNLESS you choose the "search the web option"

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26935

I think the above link will shed some light on ccTLDs. IN a nutshell, I don't think people from the US are going to Search the Google.us site to get revelevant "Dot US based" links. Since google.com is a "english" site, it's kind of "redundant" to have a "english" Google.us site, don't ya think? Which would then make it obvious why Google has Google.us up (for global brand recogntion).

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Kelly Services is really a top leader in understanding this and taking advantage of making the most out their extesions..

http://www.kellyservices.com/default.asp?cookie=off

That's is the model I think we are headed to..

They use the .com for it's global address..because rightfully so .com has the most recognition..

but as we go forward..

Think of the millions of people that no longer will go to Kelly.com but straight to the ccTLD that makes sense for them..
Thats where we are headed.. the awareness grows the .com traffic starts to drop and the regionl addresses ccTLDS traffic blossoms.. revenues increase for the companies because they can go directly to the information/ languaage/ products/services that will be meaningful for them...= satisfied customer=increase revs for the company.

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
zouzas , GOOGLE.US .. man you just have to love that !

That is my main search page now....

i know it is pretty great ,like some said in this thread they don't have google.biz or google.info why? either they see no value in using them who else knows why not use the other two keep in mind too google.us does not resolve to a com site its its own site??

as for nameshare i think most parts are down for some reason i think they are doing what dnskid said for surnames,,,

another interesting site is http://www.kidszone.us click on kids page see who it is;)

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by zouzas

" keep in mind too google.us does not resolve to a com site its its own site??"

Because unlike Pods statement about redundancy ...what he is missing is there wont be any redundancy..thats why it isnt pointing to the .com..it wil bring up mostly .US websites at they are developed, He seems to think that simply because a website is in english it must be a American website ! There fore all .coms are American addressess ! :eek:

.Com is the representive mish mash of everything..cctLDs is simply an organizational process of that mish mash..

Relax Izop you are free to believe what you want..we are just pointing out evidence that growth in the ccTLDS are expanding rapidlly...and that recogition is growing by leaps and bounds by major corporations.which usually mean the smaller corps follow suit.

I'll check out the Kids zone...

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Because unlike Pods statement about redundancy ...what he is missing is there wont be any redundancy..thats why it isnt pointing to the .com..it wil bring up mostly .US websites at they are developed, He seems to think that simply because a website is in english it must be a American website ! There fore all .coms are American addressess ! :eek:

Google.us=Google.com (redundancy is not a bad thing, except when you have only two choices...one usually gets used more than the other)

As far as a Google.us option to "view" dot US sites, it could be that they may have it in time (don't hold your breath). What I said is why would anyone want to search .us only sites?
Irregardless if they are "American based" or operated by someone outside the US. btw: IF you do a "site:us search" on google.us, you get a lot of US government/educations sites, it will be curious as to how Google handles the 2nd level US domains if they develop a "Search US sites" option on Google.us. Bottomline: A dot US name will not necessarily mean better rankings on the Google.US site. A site, that is by American standards "is" redundant. That is the truth!! I defy anyone including Bid, to disagree.

Your comments that all .com's are American addresses shows that you are "redirecting" the ccTLD/.US discussion. Most .com's are American addresses!! :laugh: It's why they call it "America's ccTLD".

[email protected]

(p.s... In my googling, I did find a "Topic" paper on the "expansion" of the dot US name... to include other names besides "Kids.us"... Like .org.us, .business.us, sport.us... etc Looks like the TM folks are up in arms about it)

izopodian quote: To think you're right is one thing, to prove your right is another. In the end, you must know things other's don't.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Relax Izop you are free to believe what you want..we are just pointing out evidence that growth in the ccTLDS are expanding rapidlly...and that recogition is growing by leaps and bounds by major corporations.which usually mean the smaller corps follow suit.

Hey if you own a lot of Dot US names, I would be looking for any progess. I'm just trying to provide a "realistic" picture as it exists in America. It's kind of nice when the folks from China (yesonline) gave us the low down on dot .CN. I think it's only right to give a clear picture as to dot US's potential.

This much I do know: Dot US is not the next coming. Surely you see that... It will be an "alternative". In what capacity I'm not sure. I see a niche for it's use in the "org" sector, and small business. So if you are buying .US to resell. Only buy the best! Zouzas is one example of somebody that seems to "get it". However his "promotion" has a lot to be desired. If you own Movie.us you don't have to convince us this is a good name by showing other companies using dot us. We know it's a good name, and will have a bright future. I think my Algebra.us will do well too. It's a good US educational type name IMHO.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod

Hey if you own a lot of Dot US names, I would be looking for any progess. I'm just trying to provide a "realistic" picture as it exists in America. It's kind of nice when the folks from China (yesonline) gave us the low down on dot .CN. I think it's only right to give a clear picture as to it's potential.

The clear picture is ..you still dont kno what you are talking about ..

http://www.verisign-grs.com/namestore/cctld/value/

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

The clear picture is ..you still dont kno what you are talking about ..

http://www.verisign-grs.com/namestore/cctld/value/

Geez, bid... SO when Verisign says something is worth buying then it must be true??

Here is the low down. Verisign sees a "rich" untapped market to sell domains. With the dot coms pretty much picked clean why not come out with a ccTLD "position paper" to explain this exciting "new" growth market. I wonder how the dot cc, dot tv sales are going for them?? :laugh:

Bid--Dot US is not a bad ccTLD---just realize it's not everything you want it to be. The same is true for .biz and .info. However some of these newly minted ccTLD/gTLDs do have some gems in them. A Movie.us is a good example. A www.protection.biz, or a HealthCare.info ---All worth going after.

That's where the discussion should be: What specific names in the different TLDs are good, and which ones are bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators