Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Google Warns Newspapers - And Domainers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Read what you want into this.

To me this is a clear indication that googles business will thrive without domainers, redirects, typos, and TM issues.

This is NOT about dot mobee but it is about mobile and it is about domains.

Pay particular attention to the last paragraph and especially the last sentence:

Google to News: Go Mobile or Piss Off Your Readers

At the closing keynote for the Newspaper Association of America annual conference, Google Chief Executive Eric Schmidt attempted to inspire journalists and editors to make a leap of faith into their interactive, non-print-based futures.

Google wants the print industry to buy into his advice, as news editors join together “mad as hell” against the search giant for stealing revenue that they say is rightfully theirs.

“I would encourage everybody: think in terms of what your reader wants,” said Schmidt at the keynote. “These are ultimately consumer businesses and if you piss off enough of them, you will not have any more.”

In order to move themselves forward, he said, newspapers will have to get used to the idea that they are not just generators of trusted, professional content, but also aggregators of the new kinds of information the Web has enabled — Wikipedia, blogs, images and online video.

Among his recommendations: take advantage of mobile technology as a distribution mechanism, beginning to think of stories not as happening on a given day, but as continuous and “living.”

Google has been criticized by some newspaper publishers in recent weeks, who worry that Google benefits more from traffic to news stories than the newspapers themselves. Robert Thompson, editor of the Wall Street Journal, called Google a “parasite”, branding such websites as “tech tapeworms in the intestines of the internet”. The Associated Press has also said that it will crack down on copyright violators who do not legitimately license its news content but still benefit from internet traffic.

-------------------------------------------

This is disturbing on two fronts-

The media is calling google a parasite which is hard to argue with.

But also, the Associated Press may start cracking down on those who scrap or steal or post content that are not licensed by AP.

The rational way to quell all this discourse is to modify its algorithm to redirect all requests to legitimate sites.

Remember the piece about duck duck?

What if Google adopted such a feature that blocked all parked pages [yes, all 42 million] to pacify the advertisers?

Would google loose anything? My guess is no.

If google were to redirect those blocked sites to what it interprets as the legitimate site then it loses nothing in terms of viewership or revenue.

Its revenue may actually pick up.

Consider this - if only legitimate players are competing for the same attention, then there is less risk of losing a viewer. Therefor, what may cost a buck for keyword suddenly jumps to 1.05, 1.25, 1.50 etc.

It is so much clearer who number one is when there are 53,000 search returns vs 53,000,000

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
google sucks monkey balls! sluuuuuuuuuuuuuuurp

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what does this article have to do with parked domains?
Nothing.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Among his recommendations: take advantage of mobile technology as a distribution mechanism"

They already do - it's called having a website that resolves when a viewer requests it.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Comparing public relations strategies.

Microsoft, Yahoo, and AOL: "We're here to make money, but we do have room to accommodate small online businesses into our overall strategy."
Google: "A colonoscopy twice a day is not only preventive, it feels good if you're relaxed. Oh hey, since your Levi's are already down around your ankles, would you mind if I slapped some ads on them? I can offer you a one twentieth revenue share minus clicks discounted at our discretion."

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with Google; they pay me more each month than anyone else!

And, if you were in their shoes, you'd be doing the same as them...

This bit made me laugh;
Robert Thompson, editor of the Wall Street Journal, called Google a “parasite”, branding such websites as “tech tapeworms in the intestines of the internet”.

Never thought I'd see the day when a newspaper editor called someone else a parasite :lol: - and all because they're taking money from him...

George Verdugo

Seasoned Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mobi mobi.........mobi

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Walks up to Larry Page: "If I was in your position, I'd do the same thing... but on the other hand if you were in my position, you'd also pimp slap the shizzle out of me right now for introducing PageRank to Indian spammers, and allowing Wikipedia to create a gateway page for every search term from Swahili to Gaelic."

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what does this article have to do with parked domains?
Nothing.
The Associated Press has also said that it will crack down on copyright violators who do not legitimately license its news content but still benefit from internet traffic.
Sure, nothing at all to those who's content depends on stories and updates from AP sources.

Yup, nothing at all.

Never thought I'd see the day when a newspaper editor called someone else a parasite :lol: - and all because they're taking money from him...
Numerous newpapers have already folded.

Yes, economy sucks and contributes to their demise.

But they were in trouble before this. Advertisers were putting bucks into internet advertising because that is where their readers are.

Radio has been the biggest loser. Newspapers are next followed by print magazines. Television will hang on for the time being. But even ad people know with DVR recorders and TiVO the ad game has changed.

Google is essentially telling the newspapers that they, the internet and google, have won the consumer and the advertising dollar. Google is also telling them something the newspapers don't want to hear - newspapers days are numbered. The newspapers will not publicly admit Google is right but the newspapers know it to be the truth.

In regards to parked domains...if google were to adopt a different policy (and they have) to team up with more legitimate partners they will not loose a penny. If you have a site that is informative or a portal that is heavily used then paying adsense will remain profitable and perhaps increase. Lets face it, google is in the business to make money now. Not give it away.

Someone needs to have a serious reality check if they think google is going to continue to support paid parking companies and supply them the feeds for servicing what amounts to redirecting traffic.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
don't hate the player...hate the game

seems appropriate here as well

we all know, the game is about traffic

g is a master traffic grabber and well on it's way to "big-brotherhood"

the know all, see all and not telling all g- that it has become

advertisers and newspapers alike, have to adapt to where people go for info

but the sky ain't falling

:rolleyes:

however, such a g as g' is, the big.ger it gets, the more likely it will fall or divest.

such failure could come from public distain towards the "level of control of data" that g may decide to "manipulate" in devious ways.

if their image changes to a negative perception or rating, then their power will weaken

as the power is in their resources, and if those resources are misused or reported in "newspapers" as "allegedly" been misused.....then what?

they start to loose advertisers, which will affect/effect what?

the game is the same all over the world

only the players and circumstances are different

newspapers have something that google doesn't... and that is newspapers

imo...

Albert Tai

Downloading More Ram!
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Lol what?
I don't know why google is doing that ....its gonna get us hating on them.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Google peaked in 2003, and will fall, it's a matter of when, not if. The rock and the hard spot is relevant search results don't convert to ad clicks, and hence the need for Wikipedia in every major commercial search term. If you're searching for "jewelry", don't ask how Wikipedia is ranked #2, ask why. Every human being above the age of 7 knows what jewelry is, there is no need for a Wikipedia explanation. Its all about walking the fine line between results and fine tuned monetized garbage with Google, and it will be their demise, guaranteed...

Ever notice how they always seem to create new tools, but avoid the bread and butter search engine? They locked down optimal CTR, no need to move until competition arises. The one trick pony will fall...

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How many here still get the daily paper delivered to their house? Been nearly 7 years ago for me.

How many have cut down their magazine subscriptions? I am down to two trade journals (that because they send them with each license renewal) and one magazine - Wired - which I won't renew because their site is awesome!

newspapers have something that google doesn't... and that is newspapers

imo...
Google has something newspapers don't - newspaper's former subscribers.

democrat

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Which is why in my opinion, you should focus on developing or getting someone who may be genuinely interested in your name. Yes Google is all knowing and controlling. Yet, when it comes down to it; if Google created this empire, someone soon will come and create a bigger empire. Think of it like building blocks that just keeps getting higher and higher. Some will fall, others will just continue getting taller and stronger.

Focus on developing and getting names to others so they can develop & then there will be nothing Google can do.

my slanted opinion

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Google :puke:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How many here still get the daily paper delivered to their house? Been nearly 7 years ago for me.

How many have cut down their magazine subscriptions? I am down to two trade journals (that because they send them with each license renewal) and one magazine - Wired - which I won't renew because their site is awesome!

Google has something newspapers don't - newspaper's former subscribers.

i pick up a newspaper everyday, two on sundays, and read others at work

people don't always wanna look at a screen, some font, background and flashing ads.

some like the "comfort" and "Privacy" of reading the paper in the morning or evening.

anytime you go on google they know where you are.

the newspaper doesn't!

:rolleyes:

and that is the leverage that newspapers have over google

but i don't see where the article mentioned anything about domains, ppc's or parking websites.
so where do domainers fit, other than the "what if google does this or that"

domains will survive, like newspapers, both will just adapt to their environment

imo...

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You do not see AP saying they are going after non-licensed sites?

I don't get it - it is right there in front of you.

And as is keeping with the thought of domainers,

I didn't do anything wrong is not going to wash anymore.

Seriously, take some time away from DNF.

read what is going on in the real world.

Contact you local newspaper and ask them how is their subscription rate holding up, are they loosing viewership to the interweb, and how are their advertising dollars these days.

http://www.beaupre.com/blog/index.cfm/2008/11/14/The-great-newspaper-massacre-of-2008
http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2009-03-17-newspapers-downturn_N.htm
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquir...98127/Newspaper-closings-effect-on-civic-life
http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/index.ssf/2009/03/newspaper_closings_have_townsh.html
http://journalism.about.com/od/trends/tp/paperstimeline.htm

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I read about that AP copyright this morning.

Tracking down and going after everybody is going to be very very hard.

With all the social apps and re-feeder apps out there it only takes one or two posts from a social network or social-network app on your desktop or phone to spit it out all over the place on the net.

One tweet these days can cycle through 20 other social networks (or more) once it's set up and then those people see it and re-post/tweet/digg it and its off onto another 20 sites. Not to mention the wordpress auto-feed pullers, rss and magpie sites... and it's all so much..too much!

Unless "they" (whomever that maybe) lay down some laws on what apps are allowed on the web this isn't going away anytime soon.

They will try and some will be made examples of, but stop it? I don't think so.

We are in Web 2.0 and it's so wild west type of unregulated.

The world is full of twits chirping, and wordpressers pressing, and diggers digging like it's 2009.

Last edited:

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to see Google take a big sh*t on itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom