Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Have Your Domain Inquiries gone down since New GTLDs Launched?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've seen a decrease in new inquiries for my domains since latter part of Feb and into March.

Not scientific, but it's around the time a lot of the new gtlds started coming out.

Has anyone else noticed a change in their incoming inquiries?

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I haven't noticed any change.....slow - steady.
If I get an end user inquiry for a name and price I will often give them a price and suggest that there are more affordable options and give a couple of examples...

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think at this stage it might be to early to see the effects of the new GTLD's, most registar search engines once they are all live, will most likely give intelligent scenario situations of what can be acquired outside the .com, as of right now they are extremely high margin products. Given those variables, it is pretty much a given there will be an eventual slow down, but majority of people do not even know about extensions yet, so unless you get a lot of reseller inquiries it could just be more of a seasonal, or portfolio niche trend specific to you.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, no change same amount of emails everyday and we have been selling more dot com names. If anything I feel like the demand for good dot com's continues to increase and the inquiries that may be stopping (if any) are just the pecks anyways that want something for sub $100 and they go register a new .bullshit name which is good news for us domain owners who are tired of the lowballers emailing them to begin with. :cool:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've seen a decrease in new inquiries for my domains since latter part of Feb and into March.

Not scientific, but it's around the time a lot of the new gtlds started coming out.

Has anyone else noticed a change in their incoming inquiries?

on the contrary, offers seemed to be on the increase.

in the last week or so, I've responded to 15 offers.

5 on the same domain.

3 on one domain

7 on different domains

offers came via Sedo, DNS, Email, DNF

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
No change in the amount of inquiries or sales via DNS. But I've seen consistent traffic to gTLDs that I own, which eventually will lead to sales.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are always ups and downs. But Dnjournal is your best hint and I think the figures don't lie.

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The biggest change isn't in the retail market. It's in the wholesale market.

Everybody will be seeing a decrease in liquidity when it comes to domainer-to-domainer sales. That stands to reason, given that domainers are handing their money to registries for .GURU's and .ENTERPRISES's.

I've been surprised by some low turnouts for my auctions lately. A year ago, I think a pair of exact-match .COM domains with $35 CPCs and products that sell between $3k to $10k would have drawn at least 1 bid at the $1 level. But right now, wholesale buyers are going elsewhere.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have the same impression since icann started to release nonsense TLDs years ago, money was drained out of the reseller market as a result, domainers started to shift their 'investments', they got burnt, and the reseller market dried out.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A year ago, I think a pair of exact-match .COM domains with $35 CPCs and products that sell between $3k to $10k would have drawn at least 1 bid at the $1 level. But right now, wholesale buyers are going elsewhere.

the whole "emd phenom" period ...was a "bubble spin-off" from the death of overture.

as domain names with overture numbers, particularly results with the extension included, were in high demand. ( on the low, they still are)

during that period, overture results for a domain drove the market.

when the demand in the market shifted to emd's, it also set the stage for the "acceptance" of gtlds.

and it's my guess that the gtld registries hope that "planted seed", will produced demand for .whatever now.

of course that's a simplified history and psych course, of how the waves in domaining move

:)

imo...

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No change in the amount of inquiries or sales via DNS. But I've seen consistent traffic to gTLDs that I own, which eventually will lead to sales.
Do you think this is traffic curious about the domains? Or just good ol' type-in traffic?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do you think this is traffic curious about the domains? Or just good ol' type-in traffic?
I've seen views and clicks in a few new gTLD's as well.

Your question is very difficult to answer since there is really nothing to compare to. When selecting a new tld, I try to remain as generic as possible and/or geo specific. I am seeing traffic on two .singles and one .contractors. Again, geo specific is perfect for these two items. With that said, I am not advocating going out and jumping into the chaos without a plan in place. That plan should be scrutinizing which gTLD's you are interested in and only purchasing the items that you had planned for. While this may seem easy, it is not because the planning needs to take place a month or so before the launch (unless you want to try and snag a name during the pre- sunrise phase).

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I agree with Gerry, it's far to early to deduce anything really. I don't register gTLDs for type in traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators