Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Heads up on Last Minute Godaddy transfers-out

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I found out this week (much to my displeasure) that Godaddy seems to be enforcing a rule that they don't provide the Quick Accept/Deny feature for domains that are deeply expired. I am not sure if that means just recovery domains, or all domains that are past the expiration date (I was told the latter), but if you have been relying on the Quick Accept feature to transfer domains out "last-minute" from Godaddy, you may have to wait 7-10 days for the transfers to finish at which point you may be gambling with losing the domain to auction winners. Update: By doing some research on the Help Forum it seems that the Quick Accept feature is probably available up until 18 days PAST expiration.

Last edited:
Domain Summit 2024

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you're referring to pushes within Go Daddy to another customer you cannot do them starting on the day a domain expires. You need to renew it first in your own account and then you can push. If you refer to transferring a name to another registrar you CAN transfer it out on or after expiration date, as long as you unlocked it BEFORE exp date and you requested (and hopefully received) its auth code, if you try either action on or after exp date GD will deny them, and the name needs to be renewed with GD (and a new registrar lock also gets triggered, ie you need to wait another 60 days to move it out, as any changes cause this registrar lock even when the registrant stays the same)

If you did unlock the domain before exp date and you got its auth code, you can transfer it out, they won't deny it, unless GD just changed this recently. But you're also right about deeply expired domains. Even if you unlocked the name and got its auth code before it expired you cannot wait the entire 17 days to transfer it out, I don't know the limit but do the transfer out asap, you'll get 7-10 days maybe ? or even less...... I'd be really surprised if a name could be moved out of GD on the 17th day after expiration for example, it's too risky (you can ask but I'm not sure you'll get the correct answer, that's Go Daddy lol...)

For names that are beyond 17 days after exp date that's the recovery you mention (redemption) and there's no way a name can be transferred out after those 17 days (grace period) are over. You need to pay the $80 penalty first to even rescue the name and be able to renew it with Go Daddy. And if you wait too long (like near the end of the 42-day period after exp date) to redeem the domain, then the fine goes up to $95, what GD calls Registry Redemption. I'm not sure if this is in the Help section on GD, and if it is take it with a grain of salt, it may or may not be accurate...

Last edited:

crazyd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hmmm it seems the system was just backlogged or running slow the last couple days, not a policy change. Quick release facility is coming up quickly again and it seems you can use it as long as you don't go beyond that 17 days after expiration. Anything after 17 days then you might not get quick release but you can still transfer out.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually, I don't believe any domain can be transferred out of any registrar once redemption has begun, I would bet half of my portfolio (about $20.... lmao) that it just can't be done, and it's an ICANN thing, not decided at the registrar level (maybe you could but only with special auth from the losing registrar ?)

Like I had said, you can move names out during the grace period but probably not during the last days of it, I think it's just the 1st 10 days, at the most. The GP for GoDaddy is 17 days but for Moniker it's 35 (and that's for the main gTLDs, if it's a newer extension it may not be the case, and for a ccTLD those rules simply don't apply) I think NetSol also has a long GP, 35 days, but if you wait until the end of the GP (at any registrar) a transfer out may be denied and you have to reclaim the domain in redemption, then renew it, and after that move it to another registrar

crazyd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Godaddy has a "mock redemption" phase which is not the same as being in real redemption phase. At Godaddy you can transfer domains out until about day 41 (give or take) after expiration. They won't tell you this, however, because they want to push their mock "redemption fee" biz

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom