Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

How the Iphone will "stir it up" with dot mobi

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldRadio.mobi

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wrote this on another thread, but I feel it is valuable enough to have its own thread/discussion
----------------------------------------------

What are the implications of the technologically advancing "Iphone" etc., dot mobi, and the unfolding mobile internet revolution?

The Iphone advance is very important, and we must take a closer look..

This is what I see..

----------------------------------

Can a whole.com site really be seen on the IPhone? Apparently much of it.. but..

But it can already be seen, the whole site, but with scrollbars on my TREO 700 with Windows mobile!

So with a better screen resolution I guess that means just less scrolling!

This is what I have been saying, some dot mobi bashers are advocating for a mobile forced redirect on the .com! But what if I had an Iphone like device in the future and then I got a small content version of the .com instead of full with a forced mobile redirect? Keep the .com full info preserved, just use scrollbars! Put the device detect, then , on the .mobi to serve any device - from PDA to desktop.. The Iphone means - we must keep the full blown dot coms valuable info preserved and accessible by anyone "on the go". No .com redirect, period - the best advocacy for the user experience is giving the mobile user a choice:

1.) .COM = COMputer full info access on PDA
2.) .MOBI = MOBIle device any type and upwards

Do the redirects on the .mobi

.mobi is useful =)

Regards,

World Radio.mobi

Stir It Up :)

Domain Summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
a lot of "what if's"

you could discuss " what if " with any scenerio or any ext., how about discussing the realities and what is actually in production!

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
how about discussing the realities and what is actually in production!

Ditto .. What is in production? Have any big companies starting developing ".mobi" compatable phones where .mobi is the default web browser extension? Or the phone includes a .mobi button?

Dimva

High Traffic Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lets dig up some old thread and copy and paste. Same discussion over and over.
Speculations...

WorldRadio.mobi

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is a what is actually.

What exists now is dot coms.

We need to be able to see the dotcoms on the PDA in full right?

That is what the Iphone represents now, in fact even my last year's Treo 700W with windows mobile can see the whole site just with scrollbars.

This is now.

Why I am bringing it up is to spread awareness of what exists.. so that our points can be made sharper.

I want to ask many of you, do you have one of the latest PDA's?

Then you can see more where the truth lies..

I agree we need to be practical.. with what exists today for where we are heading tomorrow..

Why be concerned about tomorrow? Because we are domainers that is why. To capitalize on the trends of tomorrow we need to purchase the RIGHT domains today.

Love to love

WorldRadio.mobi :)

Laird Mobi

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
a lot of "what if's"

you could discuss " what if " with any scenerio or any ext., how about discussing the realities and what is actually in production!

Without forward thinking the internet wouldn't exist and neither would most technologies. Idea's and suggestions now could be reality tomorrow!

(Just my ten pence worth!)

WorldRadio.mobi

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ditto .. What is in production? Have any big companies starting developing ".mobi" compatable phones where .mobi is the default web browser extension? Or the phone includes a .mobi button?

Maybe there is not enough will to have a .mobi button.

I personally think that would be very unfair to the other extensions and unfair to the internet freedom as a whole.

I am for internet freedom from the user's perspective, the suffix is actually an integral part of the domain name..

I am not for a .mobi button
-----
Things are not black and white, it's all about what's in between. Why should anything be "either or"? It can be both and beyond.. so when the coin flips if it lands heads or tails you win anyway.
-----
BTW many influential people read what we write, so it is well worth it to write and network, here, reaching an audience beyond just those who actually write on the threads.

That is why sometimes I like to tie in trends with what exists now in our evolving because that is what companies and investors are interested in. As domainers we are also investors, and some of us want to develop projects.

I am amazed that this dot mobi forum section of DNForum has threads still from many days ago on the first page :) This is actually unique in that the few of us that participate here in this vessel have our voices last longer; ongoing, for the big and small guys who are hiding and reading what we say. DNForum is closest to the mainstream, and that is what we need - mainstream exposure. I appreciate this opportunity and everyone who makes this section lively ;)

Regards,

WorldRadio.mobi

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK Let's discuss technology related to iPhone.. iPhone runs sub Mac OSX version and as you may have seen has widgets. Not sure how many use Mac OSX on their laptop or desktop, but there are thousands of widgets i.e. Stock Widgets..

Can somebody please explain to me. Why would I go to type StockCheck.mobi (since I saw this on your sig Laird) instead of firing up my Stock Widget?

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good point, maroulis. But honestly, I really don't care about the impact that the iPhone will have on .mobi, positive or negative. Neither the iPhone or anyone here is going to stop me from developing the names I bought. I spent the money on them, so why not attempt to make some decent sites? It can't hurt to try...

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good point, maroulis. But honestly, I really don't care about the impact that the iPhone will have on .mobi, positive or negative. Neither the iPhone or anyone here is going to stop me from developing the names I bought. I spent the money on them, so why not attempt to make some decent sites? It can't hurt to try...

Seanboy - out of the .mobi crowd you're the only one I respect for the reason beeing you don't flip and hype but actually have publicly said you'll commit to developing them...

iDName

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think this has more meaning than any of the squabble thats been going on recently. I am out of dicussing .mobi with the fortune tellers here! I'm developing my sites too, and hope to give people a good experience when using their phones on the internet! If they like, they can come back for more. :)
Thanks very much to everyone here for their opinions!

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seanboy - out of the .mobi crowd you're the only one I respect for the reason beeing you don't flip and hype but actually have publicly said you'll commit to developing them...

Thanks, I've actually sold 3 of my names (I have student loans to pay, couldn't help it :)). I hope that I don't lose any cred for that, but if you don't pay your student loans, then the loan gods will destroy you!! :)The others I really want to develop. I am working on 4 sites right now. They hold up is that I am learning Ruby on Rails to develop them. When they are done, I'll post them here for come critiques.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My feeling is that Apple will have a huge success with the iPhone and more spectacularly, they have it on the OS X platform. I'm sure they won't build in any .mobi support (default for browser or a keypress) because from what I've seen at their site, they don't need it for Safari.

However, the other manufacturing sponsors may well carry on with the .mobi deal which will probably make all our investments worthwhile. Apple aren't the only player, but right now they look like a strong horse to back.

To reiterate in a way, we now have a new OS platform for mobiles. OS X is a very, very cool platform upon which to base such a device. There have been Linux hacks around for many phones/PDAs but the ultimate has to be OS X.

Look for Apple to get a huge market share. Then re-evaluate your .mobi portfolio as events unfold.

As a previous poster pointed out, you won't need many URLs anyway once there's a 'widget' for every site you regularly visit.

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with developing these widgets? I'd be interested in learing more. PM me if you do...

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with developing these widgets? I'd be interested in learing more. PM me if you do...

guess i was sleeping when i sold "widgetplanet.com" recently!

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators