Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed idle (dot) com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you guys would pay 10K for the name then that is what it's worth. I have a hard time believing that you would actually pick up this name instead of 10K if both were right in front of you.
There really isn't any upside when you buy a name for maximum value. These appraisals seem like all-time best case scenarios, to me.
Unless I misunderstand appraisal threads, nobody here is saying they would pay 10K for this domain. They're saying an end user with a good use for it could spend 10K or more, so a reseller might pay low-mid $xxxx for it with the intent of making that end-user sale. Nobody here is talking about buying this domain "for maximum value".

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, you people need to get real with the appraisals. Anyone can theoretically get lucky and sell a name to an end-user for big money, but this is NOT the type of name that you can make a big score on. It doesn't make a big impression when you look at it. Even a small city name would have the chance of being sold for a large sum. This name does not have huge upside, no matter what. Go ahead and appraise with best-case scenario analysis. It doesn't mean anything in the real world where people spend real money. I bet the OP paid a ton less than you are appraising, so obviously the seller thought less about it than you guys do.

This name is decent. It is not close to a five-figure name. I bet that nobody sent PM's to the OP offering what they appriased, either. That is what usually happens when someone posts a really good name. It is a decent name with not a lot of great potential. What kind of site would you put on this? It doesn't make sense. Idle means weakness, or laziness, or idling a car. It is therefore not a strong term. And, if you ever put out a radio ad for the name 50 percent of the people would think idol.

Whatever you guys are ready to pay out of pocket RIGHT NOW for the name is what it is worth. All of the pipe dreams aabout best-case scenarios don't work for a name like this. It might work for a real estate name, or a strong financial or gambling term. You can bet the OP has not received substantial offers for this name. Nobody is sitting around daydreaming about owning it.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, you people need to get real with the appraisals.
Many people hold one view of this domain, and you alone hold an opposite view, which you've stated repeatedly. Rather than go over old territory again, let's see if any new people want to chime in either way.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have never seen any credentials, I do not know of any credentials, and I do not know of any formal class or training for credentials as a Certified Domain Appraiser.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Whatever you guys are ready to pay out of pocket RIGHT NOW for the name is what it is worth. All of the pipe dreams aabout best-case scenarios don't work for a name like this. It might work for a real estate name, or a strong financial or gambling term. You can bet the OP has not received substantial offers for this name. Nobody is sitting around daydreaming about owning it.

"Us guys" are expert domainers that evaluate domains based on inherent value and selling or development potential outside of the narrow-minded jerk-circle that you represent. Appraising a domain does not mean buying it, otherwise art and property appraisers would be broke!

A short, dictionary .com with nice, clean letters, thousands of results and acronym power has "Zero value" only when appraised by some oddball Mr. Negativity who keeps on dissing domains put up for appraisal.

You did the same crap with .co and called out Overstock and the .CO Registry for "pulling scams" and the like. I think it's known by now that you're not the smartest banana in the bunch.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow! I hate it when you guys suddenly get all testosteroney at one another. It spoils whatever discussion there is on the thread when it gets personal like that. I don't see the need for it, to tell you the truth. Casting doubt on someone's appraisal ability is hardly an attack on his manhood. And as you all keep telling us newbies, the only real appraisal is what someone is willing to pay for a domain, which seems to be all that WhoDatDog is saying. :(

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Maybe I wasn't clear enough with my statement above. This "gentleman" has displayed a pattern of negativity-laden, unsubstantiated, lowball pseudo-appraisals. When a pattern comes into play, one has to wonder what further ulterior motive one has, beyond plain incompetence.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMO this name would sell in the 3-5k range minimum on NameJet...which represents what domainers would pay.

I would not sell for less than 12k if I had it.

oberheimer

Domain investor
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also think mid x xxx for reseller and low xx xxx - for end user

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great comments, ideas and appraisals. There are some really good ideas here that I haven't thought of.

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This domain is mentioned in the most recent sales report on dnjournal.com. If that was your purchase I think you paid a fair price for it.

chrisb72

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Low to mid XXX???? Is that guy crazy? IDLE.com is easy high X,XXX

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have never seen any credentials, I do not know of any credentials, and I do not know of any formal class or training for credentials as a Certified Domain Appraiser.

Well, maybe it's time there were such credentials out there. Domaining is a recognised profession now, with its own special skills, so surely it should be possible to get training and official recognition as an appraiser in much the same way as people working for antiques and art auction houses can.

Nicky

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Maybe I wasn't clear enough with my statement above. This "gentleman" has displayed a pattern of negativity-laden, unsubstantiated, lowball pseudo-appraisals. When a pattern comes into play, one has to wonder what further ulterior motive one has, beyond plain incompetence.

He gave me a pretty high appraisal for my pokertube.com typo poketube.com how should I take that one? lol

bludex

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
First I think about exclusive tourists idling around on Antigua but probably more value lies in monetizing assets idling around whose value could be monetized in an auction platform or sales network - think 'Overstock' for Energy and Utilities.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It is not worth anywhere near 10K, but it is worth something. I am thinking it probably gets traffic from Idol, when people are seaching for American Idol. If that is the case, then it will depend on how much traffic it gets. I don't really think of one powerful thing when I see this name, but maybe that is good, maybe that makes for a few more directions you can go. It is a nice short name, but one of the problems is that likely 90 percent of the people who hear the word pronounced will first think Idol, so turning it into a huge site in that sense would be a bit tough.

But you definitely could develop a niche site in a few different areas, but I still feel that it only is worth a lot if the traffic is high and targeted in areas that you can monetize.

Without knowing more I can only give it low-mid XXX.

It was purchased for $5,800 on July 22,2010

Hopefully you stick to appraising reg fee names, you seem to only be familiar with those.

This is a nice $xx,xxx name to an end user. I can't speculate if it would be the low end, mid or high end. I can see it landing anywhere.

Good luck to you Stian!

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Hhhmmm I have a paper on my wall that says differently. In 2002 I attended the SFDNI ( School for Domain Name Investment ). It was a 8 week course and attended by hundreds. At lunch we used to take our porsches and lambos for spins down the strip, body paint each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators