Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Important Read This if You Want to Bid Sunday Night!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My programmers are telling me that you will need Sun's Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.4 installed on your PC. The auction client is a java applet which will not work without the JRE.

You can find downloads for different operating systems here http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html

Test your system by going here http://tauction.dnforum.com/client/client.html. If you get a gray square with login blanks, you're good to go.

If you have any troubles with the test, download and install the latest version of Netscape. It works fine without having to install anything.

A reminder: Auction Night will change to Saturday after this Sunday's auction.

Upvote 0

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Installed on Win XP with no problem. I bet Sun. night will be chaos as a lot of people will somehow miss the word and wonder why their auction set up isn't working. That could be good - just Bidawinner, GregR and Me in the audience - we could scoop up some deals before everyone else gets in! :)

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nah, wishful thinking Duke. It will probably be like last Sunday. Everyone showed up 2 hours early. :)

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Gregr, you can pop up a dialog box as soon as a person enters the chat page. You can do something like "In order to bid, etc. Please download and install, etc. DOwnload now?" and have a Yes and No choie. If they click Yes, download it for them. This should solve most of the problems. I can forsee this as something preventing lots of people from entering chat, so if you need any help with the code, let me know.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The system they're working on won't involve the chat room at all.
The chat room can be used to discuss what's going on or to communicate with the auctioneer.

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting.... in any case... whatever it will be, i think it would be good if the user trying to enter the auction is prompted for the installation of all required components. This way everyone gets to enter... or... Greg, you can simply mass email all the members regarding this issue and include the link to the download!

Attilio

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I am worried that a 9MB download if not publicized massively might cause some of the (very few) good buyers to not be able to get in on time next Sunday.

Am I totally wrong or should I consider to move my top auction to next Saturday to be sure to have 100% of potential buyers being able to bid ?

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by attilio
Honestly, I am worried that a 9MB download if not publicized massively might cause some of the (very few) good buyers to not be able to get in on time next Sunday.

Am I totally wrong or should I consider to move my top auction to next Saturday to be sure to have 100% of potential buyers being able to bid ?

Next week will be $1 starting bids only.

Attilio

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have already $1 as starting bid, that for I would really do not like to have also 1 only of potential buyer out of the auction for technical reasons.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
I installed Java when I upgraded to IE6, but I am not sure what version. . Anybody know a way I can tell?

-Bob

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gregr, can you lock this thread so it stays at the top?

llew

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Most likely the java you installed is the java VM made by microsoft, you'll need to download Sun's Java Runtime Environment.

Originally posted by Bob
I installed Java when I upgraded to IE6, but I am not sure what version. . Anybody know a way I can tell?

-Bob

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by llew
Most likely the java you installed is the java VM made by microsoft, you'll need to download Sun's Java Runtime Environment.

Actually, I figured out that I downloaded and installed Java for my web server... I followed the link above by Gregr and it installed without a hitch.

:D

-Bob

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It installed in just a few seconds. Rock on!

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perhaps there should be a 'mock' auction, as a test, the day before, to make sure everything works? I downloaded the Java, but when you have 100+ bidders on Sunday, I imagine there will be problems if the new system hasn't been tested first.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by attilio

You have until midnight tonight to remove.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GeorgeK
Perhaps there should be a 'mock' auction, as a test, the day before, to make sure everything works? I downloaded the Java, but when you have 100+ bidders on Sunday, I imagine there will be problems if the new system hasn't been tested first.

That's the plan but only if it's finished. It may not be finished until Sunday night.

Attilio

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Greg,
would not be possible to go with same "manual" system as last Sunday and give to the new system other full week to be finished and tested , this would also allow all members to know about that and download on time.

I have clear that this mean a lot of work for you but maybe you might find a collaborator or two to help you auctioning part of the names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom