Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Just had a fascinating email exchange with a claimant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So, a domain name I hand regged back in December has become of interest to a school.

We'll call it examplepark.ca. A teacher at Example Park Public School emailed me talking about how the domain name lapsed because the last principal, under who's name it was originally registered, had retired. They owned the name for over five years, which he emphasized as though it mattered.

I respectfully told him that is not my problem. I would ordinarily be sympathetic to this kind of thing and cut him a break (especially since my mother is a public school teacher, and I've heard from her what sort of budgets the schools work with).

The name is simply too valuable to just give to them, since Example Park is a booming neighborhood in North Toronto. My broker who I work with in real estate has lived there for over 50 years, and I grew up there, and it's no secret that home prices approach, and regularly meet the seven figure mark.

I told him that he could have the name, but it would take the right price, and he need not submit an offer under $5,000. I also offered him help finding some variants that he could hand register (I.e. the LLLL version of the school's name, exampleparkps.ca, exampleparkschool.ca, etc.)

Here is his response;

"you can keep it.

I will make sure everyone at school knows about the real estate agent who wants to get $5,000 from their public school. I am sure that as parents they will welcome you to the neighborhood.

I believe the best thing you can do is to call the principal and off the domain as a sign of good will.

It might even get you a thank you note in the school newsletter."

I told him I'll speak to my broker and get back to him next week. We already made our minds up, they're not getting it for free. I'm just going to let him sweat it out a bit longer.

However, if he publishes one word about me which is not true, I will sue his pants off personally.

This is not just because he is intent on slandering me, it is the blatant disrespect for the genericness of the keyword.

If I run a business called "Toronto Carpet Cleaning", does that entitle me to "Toronto.ca"? Of course not! He just can't get it through his head that previous ownership of a domain name does not create an entitlement.

And it's not like they're the only ones who can use it. I know realtors who would gladly pay for the name. So, if I can get $x,xxx from a local realtor, why should I give up what is in effect a cheque for $x,xxx to someone who thinks they own it?

Will keep you updated on how this goes down.

Domain Summit 2024

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Your responses sound snooty to me. A simple, "Unfortunately we have already invested time and money into this project and are unable to give up the name at this time." would have worked better and make you look a little more professional. IMHO

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Your responses sound snooty to me. A simple, "Unfortunately we have already invested time and money into this project and are unable to give up the name at this time." would have worked better and make you look a little more professional. IMHO

That sounds simpler and arguably more reasonable as well. Less is more and all that.

I know this sounds rather pessimistic, but I've since learned that no one has to understand - much more agree - on something. You just try, find some common ground if any, expect the worst, then hope for the best.

At any rate, OP, I'd just let that slide and maybe see how it goes.

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You should have told them they can have the domain name for free!

If they bring you at least one or two home sales....... Lots of parents my friend :)

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You should have told them they can have the domain name for free!

If they bring you at least one or two home sales....... Lots of parents my friend :)

That's a big "if". There are so many established realtors in the area that it will take much more than a newsletter mention to get a listing.

This could also be my residual hatred for this school board having failed for me. On principle, I will not let them push me around. As arrogant as it may sound, this will go down on my terms, not theirs.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perhaps Maxwell could have been a bit less uptight in his response, but I must say that I don't like the reaction to his response. It smacks of blackmail to me and seems pretty unprofessional on the part of the school representative.

But it is also perhaps yet another example of the gulf in understanding between domainers and those who register just the one domain for a particular purpose.

I had an email from someone the other day asking if I was planning on using a particular domain he was interested in. He said he needed it for an open-source app so couldn't offer any money, and if I didn't intend to use it could I just pass it to him at the end of the year.

I replied suggesting two other available domains he might register. I am planning to develop the name, but even if I wouldn't want to just pass it on like that, as I've babysat it for a good while now. He did offer a link-swap in exchange, whatever that might be but I couldn't see any benefit in that for either of us.

Perhaps this will be considered a 'snooty' stance to take also. :)

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

Sorry, that should read, '. . . but even if I weren't, I wouldn't want to just pass it on like that . . .'

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perhaps Maxwell could have been a bit less uptight in his response, but I must say that I don't like the reaction to his response. It smacks of blackmail to me and seems pretty unprofessional on the part of the school representative.

But it is also perhaps yet another example of the gulf in understanding between domainers and those who register just the one domain for a particular purpose.

I had an email from someone the other day asking if I was planning on using a particular domain he was interested in. He said he needed it for an open-source app so couldn't offer any money, and if I didn't intend to use it could I just pass it to him at the end of the year.

I replied suggesting two other available domains he might register. I am planning to develop the name, but even if I wouldn't want to just pass it on like that, as I've babysat it for a good while now. He did offer a link-swap in exchange, whatever that might be but I couldn't see any benefit in that for either of us.

Perhaps this will be considered a 'snooty' stance to take also. :)

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

Sorry, that should read, '. . . but even if I weren't, I wouldn't want to just pass it on like that . . .'

He has money, he just doesn't want to spend it. He sent you an email...right? he's coding for an open source app...right? - well i guess he could afford a computer so he could come up with some money.

If a person had no money, they couldn't afford to be online, lol

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
He has money, he just doesn't want to spend it. He sent you an email...right? he's coding for an open source app...right? - well i guess he could afford a computer so he could come up with some money.

That's what I was thinking. He hasn't taken up either of my suggestions of domains available to register.

I'm very much a nontechie, so I don't really understand why you need a website for an app, or how money can be got from an open-source app. Someone with no money should surely be selling it.

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

This is the perfect response. It'll make any aggressive party back off. Just tell them that you had stalled your development plans for the right domain name. And now that you have it, changing the branding will be too cost-prohibitive.

Also, it's a school. Cut them some slack.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
its going to be tough to get anymore than $xxx from a primary or secondary school, they have limited budgets and im not sure where they would take the money from - they are most likely going to find and alternative to the name like somethingparkschool,ca or somrthingparkSS,ca SPSS,ca etc. - SEO and traffic is not a high proprity for them. lol

Now, if it was a College, University or a Private school than you are looking at big bucks.

you would have better luck selling to an agent or broker.

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

And if his computer broke the next day, I'm sure he'd have found the money to get a new one.

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

This is the perfect response. It'll make any aggressive party back off. Just tell them that you had stalled your development plans for the right domain name. And now that you have it, changing the branding will be too cost-prohibitive.

Also, it's a school. Cut them some slack.

It may be a school, but this guy's being awfully pushy, with a real sense of entitlement. And I don't take kindly to that.

I'll post the whole email thread once I get to the PC. I hardly use that thing since I've gotten my iPad.

I also don't appreciate his threats to initiate legal action against me and to slander me. I'm still letting him sweat it out a bit, but I'm probably going to call the principal and tell her that one of her teachers is threatening me.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

its going to be tough to get anymore than $xxx from a primary or secondary school, they have limited budgets and im not sure where they would take the money from - they are most likely going to find and alternative to the name like somethingparkschool,ca or somrthingparkSS,ca SPSS,ca etc. - SEO and traffic is not a high proprity for them. lol

Now, if it was a College, University or a Private school than you are looking at big bucks.

you would have better luck selling to an agent or broker.

Oh, I agree. I just quoted the high number to show him I'm serious. It's worth that though, IMO. Very sought after neighbourhood.

Wealthy school, you should keep in mind, being in such an affluent area. Might have a sizeable fund from the parent's council, or whatever the "governing body" within the school is.

My buyer will likely be a realtor. I really don't care who buys it. Whoever's got money.

It was a $12 hand reg from December. I'd even be happy with high $xxx for it. This is one I have faith in waiting on, though.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you reg'd it - it wasn't even a drop, lol.

so they let it expire and didn't notice it for months and figure they needed it now - what were they using for the schools website until now?

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you reg'd it - it wasn't even a drop, lol.

so they let it expire and didn't notice it for months and figure they needed it now - what were they using for the schools website until now?

Exactly! Shows you how badly they need it, right?

I honestly have no idea as to what they were using before. There are no archive.org records on the wayback machine. Nor do any significant results come up on google for a search for the URL.

I stand to gain very little if anything from dwelling on this. I'll offer to help them find an alternative domain. Otherwise, they remain welcome to make an offer, maybe with no minimum to work with. I'd take a fast $2,500 over a $5,000 that might never come.

But if they post one untrue thing about me in that newsletter, on their new website, or anywhere else, then the gloves are off. That's where it's a personal matter, not a domaining manner.

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

Exactly! Shows you how badly they need it, right?

I honestly have no idea as to what they were using before. There are no archive.org records on the wayback machine. Nor do any significant results come up on google for a search for the URL.

I stand to gain very little if anything from dwelling on this. I'll offer to help them find an alternative domain. Otherwise, they remain welcome to make an offer, maybe with no minimum to work with. I'd take a fast $2,500 over a $5,000 that might never come.

But if they post one untrue thing about me in that newsletter, on their new website, or anywhere else, then the gloves are off. That's where it's a personal matter, not a domaining manner.

"domaining matter". Stupid autocorrect.

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It may be a school, but this guy's being awfully pushy, with a real sense of entitlement. And I don't take kindly to that.

I'll post the whole email thread once I get to the PC. I hardly use that thing since I've gotten my iPad.

I usually chalk that up to ignorance. You'll be surprised how few people know about Whois and online 'property' rights. Wasn't there that DNW post recently about some guy on Twitter going nuts, accusing Domain Tools of harvesting his personal information after he stumbled upon their Whois tool?

Just goes to highlight how important it is for this industry to go out and educate people about what we do.

On a different note - I haven't taken the tablet plunge yet, but I've had similar responses from everyone - lifelong geeks and software programmers included - that with the iPad around, the computer sees very little usage. Makes me think that I'm actually missing out on something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom