Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

LR2 problem/fraud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First, I'd like to say I am new to DNForum and wish I could have found this site a while ago.

I have a situation that I had talked to a lawyer, unfortunately, I didn't have the cash available that he wanted. It was pretty steep.

Here is the situation:

During LR2, I had submited applications to many names (as I'm sure most of you did in here) and on June 27, 2002 I received several emails stating that I had registered 7 .infos. When I viewed the whois, all the domains showed "pending"

I went on vacation for 10 days and I didn't really connect to the net at all.

On July 13, 2002, I received an email stating that I had registered another domain in LR2. I thought I was kind of odd, so I did some checking and it turns out that 6 of the 7 domains that I was awarded via the communication from my registrar and supporting invoice was awarded to someone else.

I wrote Afilias and DirectNIC and they both blamed each other and offer no assistance what-so-ever. I had expressly stated that a crediting my credit card was not resolution that I wanted, I wanted the domains. They both told me too bad and DirectNIC gave me credit for the six domains. Lucky for me that I printed a hard copy of all invoices showing my registration.

Has anyone esle had this problem? And is there any action I can take. I can't give a $5,000.00 retainer, but I have all the time in the world

The 7 domains: snp.info cis.info tmp.info vhf.info wellnes.info videocard.info singapor.info (this is the one I still have). The domain I recieved in July which is still mine is emails.info. You can see why I am upset about it.

Can anyone offer me some advise or support, I would greatly appreciate it. I could make it worthwhile for someone if I can get these domains that I had registered.

Thanx in advance.

Domain Summit 2024

Wolf

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Directnic could not have registered those 6 names for you in June as Landrush 2 did not happen until 13 July. The guys who got the names won them fair and square.

Directnic allowed multiple applications and then randomly chose the ones they were sending to the round robin. Are you sure this is not what they meant in their email?

In any case over 50 other registrars participated in LR2 and unless you had pre-registrations of your 6 names with most of these, your chances of getting the names were limited anyway.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have an email invoice and a directNIC.com invoice that states "Thank you for registering the following service(s) through directNIC.com". and it shows 7 domains registered. I also have my credit card receipts that charged me for the domains.

I do have 1 of the 7 domains that it said I was awarded, singapor.info. The whois shows it as being created on July 13, 2002, but the invoice for this is with the other 6 domains. If there was a glich, I would not have gotten any of them, but the point is I did receive at least one of them and was charged for the other.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
directNIC.com was charging the money in advance.
If you had won the domains they would keep the money, if not they would have refunded the money. Which they did.
Any email or charge before the 13th of July is not proof that you got the domains.
Did you register emails.info with directNIC.com as well?

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I did register emails.info at the same time, but I received the invoice/made payment in July. and not along with the others. According to directNIC pre-registration, you will only be charged if a domain was awarded to you.

If directNIC did charge for registration and refund if the name wasn't awarded, isn't that illegal? Taking money for something you don't have, yet claiming the domains were registered on their invoice.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If accoeding to directNIC pre-registration, you will only be charged if a domain was awarded to you then there is something wrong going on?

You said you received the invoice in July. On what date? What is the actuall date of the transaction on the invoice?

Wolf

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have found an official email from Directnic from 25 May about Landrush 2. This is an offical extract from it.

"directNIC is now accepting pre-registrations for these names and will submit one application for each name using a randomized queuing method. Applicants will be charged when their application is submitted to the registry. We will offer a full refund if the names are not successfully registered to the applicant. The .INFO registrys queue to register LR2 names is expected to open in mid-June. The awarded names will be announced in early July. "

Directnic were charging for successful pre-registrations. They charged you because 7 of your names were chosen to be sent to Afilias. Most people who sent applications to Directnic failed to make it into their queue and were therefore charged nothing. They did keep their promise and refunded you the money for unsuccesful pre-registrations.

The only way there may be someting wrong is if Afilias had an unofficial Landrush 2 in June and you had won the names and Directnic made the mistake of telling you. Afilias then ran the official Landrush in July and informed everyone of the official results. If this is the case then it needs further investigation.
This is the only way I can account for your statement that Directnic and Afilias were blaming each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom