Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Make money from the traffic, or the domain name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GUA

Gremlin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So..

I have a domain name. It is a 3 letter domain name, and it gets a large volume of traffic. I had it parked at domainsponsor, and it earned me on average I would say $10 a day, $300 a month consistently for the 4 months I had it parked. This is my only traffic name, and only gets that traffic as it is a typo of an extremely popular website (at least as far as I can see).

Anyway. I have since partnered with another individual, and we are creating a business based around the domain, and an invented acronym.

To cut the story short, we have begun developing the website. It provides a series of webmaster tools which are completely new, and unique. Since the development, and given that I have NO ads on the front page (as I dont want to annoy genuine visitors), the revenue has gone down to a few cents daily if anything.

I have been thinking about this $300 is quite a large sum of money for a student, and to be earning it consistently is really useful. To put it into perspective, if I park it again, it will pay for my drinking habits :)

My question is as such. Lets assume the acronym is DFR.com, and I have invented the acronym Dont Feed Rabbits...
Should I utilize DFR.com for my website but lose $300 a month, or should I rather use dontfeedrabbits.com?

The benefits of using DFR.com are that being developed I cant really get done by UDRP/WIPO, apart from that is utilizing a short domain really worth $300 a month?

I was thinking I could simply use dontfeedrabbits.com, and then if and only if the site DOES get big, then I have the acronym to use if needed.

I would love to hear people thoughts on this.
N.B I do not own DFR.com or dontfeedrabbits.com, they were just examples.
Thanks
T

Domain Summit 2024

Vorty

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey Tom,

My experience tells me that it's very hard to monetize typo traffic with a website, unless the website is related to the source of the traffic. Well, if you really need that money, you basically have 2 options... the first one is to park it again and hope that no one comes after it, the second one is to try to monetize it (... in your own words.. annoy the users).

It's hard to be more specific without the actual domain, if you had DFR.com you could do a website about Do Feed Rabbits instead of Don't Feed Rabbits and put some affiliate links about rabbit food or whatever :cheesy:

Good luck

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well lets deal with something that concerns me above what now...

If in fact you used the LLL .com to infringe ( profit ) you are STILL open to a C&D etc. In fact you have also left yourself open to an ethical situation should you sell the domain. Why people take risks with their generic/premium names I have no idea.

So imo that is now the bigger issue. Again all assuming the use IS infringing, somthing still only you would know.

newvista

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So..

I was thinking I could simply use dontfeedrabbits.com, and then if and only if the site DOES get big, then I have the acronym to use if needed.

You have answered the question yourself, this is the best solution IMO.

GUA

Gremlin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions guys.

I think I mislead in stating it was a typo. The domain is a LLL.com, and it receives traffic looking for the well developed .com.br, simply missing off the extra .br

I stupidly did not monetize/optimize the parking page. Thus I have no idea what was actually being displayed.

The last months I had it parked, the stats were as follows:
Month Visitors U.S. Visitors Searches Clicks Clicks Per Visit RPC RPM Pop-Under Revenue Search Revenue Total Revenue
Nov 2008 25,647 705 13,490 7,407 28.88% $0.04 $11.79 $26.93 $275.56 $302.49
Oct 2008 29,749 725 15,935 8,540 28.71% $0.05 $13.47 $31.24 $369.50 $400.74
Sep 2008 35,735 824 18,297 9,352 26.17% $0.04 $11.16 $37.52 $361.46 $398.98
Aug 2008 38,104 803 20,110 10,784 28.30% $0.03 $9.73 $39.96 $330.89 $370.84
Jul 2008 40,915 781 22,453 13,359 32.65% $0.04 $13.10 $42.83 $493.33 $536.16

I have no idea if that is good.. one thing I can see however is that it has been going down overall.

JP with regards to infringing, I have never had any intention of infringing on any TMs. When I bought the name, I wasnt even aware that it would receive any traffic.
If I do decided to RE-park it, I will obviously pay attention to what is being displayed.

The keywords are music, movies, mp3 etc.

I bought it with the intention of holding, and or reselling, since then I decided to use it for a website of my own, but knowing this traffic it seems stupid to NOT park it.

Sorry for my rambling, essentially, I will make sure it is not infringing before RE-parking, and monetize it respectively. On that basis would people agree with my original statement:

"I was thinking I could simply use dontfeedrabbits.com, and then if and only if the site DOES get big, then I have the acronym to use if needed."

Thanks

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just be sure when parking a generic/acronym to not allow the auto opt to be used, set and block the appropriate keywords. Hate to see anyone lose something for a simple over sight.

All the best and yes no sense in using the LLL if it is going to cost you literally before it is appropriate.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Monetize it...you can't control what people are looking for when they goto your domain name...I can nearly assure you that your LLL.com existed far before the .com.br

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom