Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Mistakes you made as a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Summit 2024

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
newbies regging english .asia

ummm. simple English names are good. Complex English names are not a good idea. Newbie, am not.

my mistake:

1. regging while drunk
2. regging controversial domains
3. selling directly from a developed website (on the said domain)
4. typing too quickly to grab a domain (mispelling the domain)

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My biggest mistake: listing TOO much to the domain elders. Although we should highly respect them and learn from their wisdom, you should still march to your own drum in the end.

lost plontoon

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1. Registering too many domains

2. Attempting to purchase traffic/revenue domains before understanding how to actually verifiy traffic & revenue. There are a lot of scammers out there.
Having difficulty in finding out how to verify traffic and revenue. Any good books?
Nothing in Australia.

tldrental

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
buying more domains than I could develop and not renting them or coming to Jesus about it.

This one made me chuckle a little, cause I was able to personalize with the comment. I almost thought you were talking to me.

My big mistake was registering domains starting 7-8 years ago and sitting on them until 4+ months ago when a friend suggested a blow the dust of them and get paid per clicks.

Little did I know parking only works if the domain has established traffic. Well as you can imagine it was a slow start parking with a almost 500 domain portfolio that never saw the light of day until that moment I gave them a name server address.

Pushing 800 domains later I now know to purchase better domains that can hit the ground running.

Oh..Yeah! the reason I chuckled is because I went the whole domain rental route... "Top Level Domain Rental" but the same applies, if your website does not generate traffic and sits dormant at the register, no one wants to rent it either. People want to rent a domain name that has traffic, this way when the grand store opening happens customers are already coming through the door.

Now I have all new lessons to learn.....uHg!!

The moral of the story is if your intentions are to be a domainer and flip domains on the wholesale market don't bother registering new domain names unless you have your pulse on the domain rush coming. Your best bet is to focus on cheap established domains and build them up.

Thats my 3 cents, sorry to bore you!!

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been burnt plenty of times, which helps me learn. I outsourced a few jobs, and got cheated bad on one. Most of the outsourcing itself was a mistake.

I remember registering some domains around 2-3 am. Typoed some of them, but was able to auction one off for $10.

xrvel

Hi there !
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I used to have a desire to develop a web. I had a BIG idea and excitement with it, so i bought a name for about $50, that was a random name actually.
Now, the idea is gone. I wasted my money.

HWW

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
#1. wine and domain registering do not mix. Neither does registering on less than 4 hours sleep.
#2. 200 crappy domain names do not equal 1 good name
#3. space your registrations - 80 renewals in a week is a pain
#4 keep your "amazing names to reg" list safe - losing it when you have funds to buy is depressing.
#5 ALWAYS check the spelling of the domain - unwanted typo purchases are not a good thing (unless everyone else makes the same typo)
#6 not everyone is as honest as you are - think, research and triple check before spending your money (but also remember not everyone is out to rip you off - there are people out there with advice/help/business who are honest and like to help)

Salient

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I snagged walgreena.com on a drop, was all chuffed with myself. I was even more impressed with the type-in traffic. This one is a no-brainer right? Parked that puppy and fed my visitors pharma-ads.

A month later, got a C&D from you-know-who.

I really didnt get until I came here and got educated. Makes sense to me now.

Stuart.

D

Deleted member 78222

Over valuing my own domains

Thinking parking can only produce penny clicks. Optimising makes a big difference

DDC_Cyn

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I too have fallen into the trap of overestimating my ability to develop all of the sites I picked up. My other mistake was going for clever when I should have gone for simple.

areav

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
unknowingly letting good names expire, because I canceled my email because of spam.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Started my career by regging a huge number of truly awful domains (at outrageously high prices, because I didn't know about different registrars). Thousands of bucks out the window.

My other early blunders can be summed up as "Making a lot of moves before finding, and learning from, people who actually knew what they were doing."

T

topleveldomain

In every case the domain provider make the money with the newbie mistakes.

MainstreamDomains

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I learned the domain industry is perhaps the most "cliquey" one out there. Also, some domainers are good, some are like Sharks - and will do whatever it takes to advance thier own interest.

Also, learned to be careful in all domain marketplaces - some have great administrators - some have very questionable ones

Also, be prepared for anything - especially from the biggest and notable domain and domain related companies - at this point, the way many have aligned them selves - by trend setting moves they have made, such as buy-outs of a certain domain categories, auto-snap grabbing expired domains, decreasing grace periods, domain-tasting, along with loads of fake domain sales reports; regular domainers... (unless they do some routine arse kissing to the right interests) may find them selves on the other side of the fence.

I say this at the risk of having my post deleted, account terminated and whatever might be thrown at me (since this is a private paid "country club-like" establishment - which does not need to abby by any rights relating to freedom of speech, but rather more of a SS like mentality as some have seen with terminated accounts and deleted threads for very non-trivial and honest mistake instances); but at this point Im no longer a young kid that can easily be swayed thinking this is the only place to do business - most of my sales are conducted privately - so I have no problem making these statements, even if the only person that sees it is the person deleting it!

If you have enough guts to agree - hollerrr.

Sha

www.R9V.com
1-888-60-BUY-IT

DOMAIN INDUSTRY = DISGUSTING BUSINESS PRACTICES!

Last edited:

Nacho

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rather than spending a significant amount on one or two names, purchasing lots of hand registered names. Also looking at a domain purchase as something I can't afford, rather than something I can't afford not to afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom