Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

.Mobi is not a scam. The proof

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't know how much they "put up", but the amount is quite considerable.

you dont know how much but you know it is considerable?! :greenconfused:

with arguements like that I..... :lol:

Domain Summit 2024

iDName

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you must be doing so well from your .mobi investments that you clearly can't even afford a platinum membership.. Maybe we should raise some DNF$s for you

Just here to browse bud! The community spirit isn't what I expected!

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No. one rule in internet marketing - never confuse your customers with 2 TLDs.

Trying to market 2 domains is marketing suicide.

Now let's have a dnforum.mobi, how's that?

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Rick said that when he was bidding on flowers.mobi, that the owner(s) of flowers.com was bidding against him, I dont know whether or not they would market flowers.mobi if they got it, perhaps they were trying to maintain there internet presence.

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Rick said that when he was bidding on flowers.mobi, that the owner(s) of flowers.com was bidding against him, I dont know whether or not they would market flowers.mobi if they got it, perhaps they were trying to maintain there internet presence.

I think it will depend on their biz model. For top generics, the situation might differ and flowers.com might think that the concept of ordering flowers from the mobilephone is powerful enough for them to come out with a new brand - flowers.mobi - that emphasizes on the extension.

But if i were flowers.com, i won't bother to market flowers.mobi until there is clear evidence of substantial orders (at least 3% to 5% of total orders) are being made from mobile phones.

In the meantime, i'll just use browser detect code to switch HTML depending on what device the user uses. It works the same as .mobi, and there's no need to spend money to educate users on the new extension.

Mobile internet isn't a new thing, i was experimenting with WAP back then in 1999, 8 years ago? One of the reasons WAP failed whereas imode took off was because of domains - people didn't like entering domains into their phone. The Japanese were smart, they knew this, and provided good directories that ensured people only need to click on links to get to various sites. They also provided a bar code scanning method that allows users to scan in URLs.

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

JP owns DNF.mobi for all you speculators out there

I think it will depend on their biz model. For top generics, the situation might differ and flowers.com might think that the concept of ordering flowers from the mobilephone is powerful enough for them to come out with a new brand - flowers.mobi - that emphasizes on the extension.

But if i were flowers.com, i won't bother to market flowers.mobi until there is clear evidence of substantial orders (at least 3% to 5% of total orders) are being made from mobile phones.

In the meantime, i'll just use browser detect code to switch HTML depending on what device the user uses. It works the same as .mobi, and there's no need to spend money to educate users on the new extension.

Mobile internet isn't a new thing, i was experimenting with WAP back then in 1999, 8 years ago? One of the reasons WAP failed whereas imode took off was because of domains - people didn't like entering domains into their phone. The Japanese were smart, they knew this, and provided good directories that ensured people only need to click on links to get to various sites. They also provided a bar code scanning method that allows users to scan in URLs.

The company I worked back then launched w/TimeWarner cnn.com/mobile and a few other timewarner properties.. Wap didn't fail because of technology only - it failed because of OVERHYPE along with 3G networks when Operators were billing customers in Kb for usage and not having unlimited data offers...I'm not even going to go on the WAP gateway fiasco that you had to set-up the AP parameters yourself and the slow GPRS speeds...

Not to mentioned the handsets i.e. Nokia were not the best end-user experience and the whole pixelated black & white experience threw people off. I remember talking to more than 20 start-ups in the day that wanted VC from our company since I was on Strategic Marketing & Wireless division..

Unfortunately people think I'm a basher and have something against .mobis. To this day I am in the Wireless industry and participate to all major Telco events and talk to CxO level customers on a weekly basis..

the proliferation of Wireless access and ubiquity from end-user perspective (WiMax, HSxPA, etc.) all points to users having multiple Wireless fast access mechanisms so iPhone or not, .mobi or not the Wireless users are there and trust me when I say they don't need another extension to start using what's been dubbed the Wireless Internet...

I rest my case...

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

great, this alows someone new to come in and have the opportinity to start such a forum on a new catchy domain maybe talkdomains.mobi or **********.mobi (however, this type of site is not best suited for the mobile web imo)

domainah

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Rick is a smart guy, but for him its also about money, he has nothing to give away for free.., it might, or might not be true about the flowers.com guy, and it doesnt really matter, because I think by now its clear that this auction was mainly a marketing strategy, and it was a good one....

....and an auction for a name that sells for 5K is just not good marketing for a new TLD.., I am not saying everything was staged, but I think people gotta use a little common sense when they see something like that..THE guy buys the domain..not just someone else..that is usually not a coincidence... I am just saying we dont know what kind of agreement he has with the .mobi people, he is a good guy, but also very smart and certainly also interested in money like all of us...

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
great, this alows someone new to come in and have the opportinity to start such a forum on a new catchy domain maybe talkdomains.mobi or **********.mobi (however, this type of site is not best suited for the mobile web imo)

Yeah, just joking.

But in reality, anything less than 17inches wide, my eyes will strain.

Also, i will not accept anything smaller than a standard IBM 101-key keyboard. The notebook keyboard is also out of the question.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow.

I love the 'iphone is great for .mobi' posts - has anyone read the text from apple?

"Look at the Web browser, a modified version of Safari that displays actual Web pages, not a teensy crunched-down version of the Web"

Apple doesnt like 'lite' web, basically saying they want a proper web experiance not .mobi style.

The worrying thing for .mobi is that this is version 1 of the iphone, and 'a few years' is often quoted for .mobi take up. Where will this technology be in the future if this is what we can get now.

And how many focus groups do you think Apple ran to see what people really want...and not DOMAINERS who are basically self-serving. The average person wants to view the internet on a mobile device not have a seperate mobile internet. They want to go on the web as close to their desktop as possible.

I also gotta ask those selling their .mobi domains for $x,xxx. If you are so sure that .mobi will be a success why are you selling now? Wouldn't it stand to reason a $x,xxx domain now would be worth $xx,xxx later when .mobi really takes off. lol .mobi speculators are doing exactly as they should be....hyping it to no-end and selling at the first offers they get. I feel bad for those later on getting stuck holding the bag. It's very possible .mobi domains can diminish in value. What some are paying $x,xxx for now may be barely worth $xxx later and that's why mobi speculators are selling.

What I want to know is who are the idiots buying this stuff?

Congrats to early landrush people that have made their money. It's always good to make money but don't always believe your own bullshit.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And how many focus groups do you think Apple ran to see what people really want...and not DOMAINERS who are basically self-serving. The average person wants to view the internet on a mobile device not have a seperate mobile internet. They want to go on the web as close to their desktop as possible.

I also gotta ask those selling their .mobi domains for $x,xxx. If you are so sure that .mobi will be a success why are you selling now? Wouldn't it stand to reason a $x,xxx domain now would be worth $xx,xxx later when .mobi really takes off. lol .mobi speculators are doing exactly as they should be....hyping it to no-end and selling at the first offers they get. I feel bad for those later on getting stuck holding the bag. It's very possible .mobi domains can diminish in value. What some are paying $x,xxx for now may be barely worth $xxx later and that's why mobi speculators are selling.

What I want to know is who are the idiots buying this stuff?

Congrats to early landrush people that have made their money. It's always good to make money but don't always believe your own bullshit.

That last line cracked me up! :)

cooldomain

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
you dont know how much but you know it is considerable?! :greenconfused:

with arguements like that I..... :lol:

Such big firms just could not put up a little amount in this level of a project.

Jernet

Old DNF'ef
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also gotta ask those selling their .mobi domains for $x,xxx. If you are so sure that .mobi will be a success why are you selling now? Wouldn't it stand to reason a $x,xxx domain now would be worth $xx,xxx later when .mobi really takes off.

and this is different than any other domain extension??

i recall 3 letter .nets going for $50 a year ago, now they are $500+, along with about 5 million other examples.

some people are selling their domains for instant profits, while others are buying for development.

your angry post makes very little sense at a forum for buying and selling domain names :uhoh:

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't see labrocca's post as angry - rather as pointing out the obvious. .mobi is supposed to adhere to a web standard that is being left behind in advances of mobile technology.

They will need to remove that imposed standard or they will be left behind. That would then lump them in with every other .tld.

And cooldomain your clinging to that rhetoric about some companies supposed investments in a tld and web standard that are becoming obsolete as fast as they were created is getting tired. Shareholders are fickle creatures and when they figure out that they have been spending money on a project that is being passed over by the advances in technology they will demand that this spending stop post-haste. Companies like Samsung, yahoo, and google are making it clear that mobile makers/providers are not reliant on or even thinking about .mobi.

DaveZilla

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Apple thinks mobile internet is worth marketing to. So the traffic from phones is going to be there.

The problem imho with .net and .org is that the non-technical public couldn't remember anything more than .com.

Will non-technical mobile web surfers be able to remember the extension?

I do think samsungs mobi phone will do alot to cement the word "mobi" as synonymous with surfing from the phone.

Laird Mobi

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The thing is with the price of the iphone alot of people will laugh it off when they can get most phones for free, maybe hardcore apple fans may pay out the money but not the general public thats for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom