Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Moniker no more

• Thread starter Deleted member 4749
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
consumers said:
these were domains obtained from a private party in Washington, DC who unfortunatly stuck me with you before I knew better.

It wasn't me. I don't sell my domains. :-D

Can we go back to ass kissing? Incidently, did you know that ChapStick was
invented a few miles south of Washington, DC? :-D

Reaction score
Yes, there are issues accross all drop systems resolving whois records for domains captured. You are right, it was another customer now that I remember. In any case lets move on to more productive discussions. This has cost me far more than $60 during the 1st and only phone conversation we had after your unprofessional conversation you had with my customer service manager who was trying to help you.

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
consumers said:
i never should have had to waste my time calling customer service and reprocessing the transfer. That is what the $60 is for. I suggest you pay up and then you can move on and continue your arguments with your other customers.

I spend considerable time managing my portfolio. I wish I could charge registrars each time something does not go exactly to plan, takes longer than expected or whatever (Dotster would owe me a fortune :)). Unfortunately it doesn't work like that; it's all part and parcel of owing domains.

I suggest you forget it and move on with your life :eek:k:

- Rob

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
It wasn't me. I don't sell my domains. :-D

Can we go back to ass kissing? Incidently, did you know that ChapStick was
invented a few miles south of Washington, DC? :-D

hmmm is that what that is for?

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MonikerMan said:
Also, his email was not from the email in his whois record so we did look at this as a preventitive measure to protect his name, just as we do for all names.

Sorry for being naive, but exactly how hard is it for me to send you an email "from" the registrant contact email address? That's a rhetorical question -- the answer is "not hard at all".

How, then, exactly, does this add a layer of security? NSI used to operate in this fashion with the old email-based domain modification forms (Remember those days? What a throwback! And you think domain modifications are hard now!) and of course finally ditched this system due to the MAJOR security flaws. So, how now is this "mailfrom" system more secure?

LeftRightOut

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
FLe8 said:
NSI used to operate in this fashion with the old email-based domain modification forms (Remember those days? What a throwback! And you think domain modifications are hard now!)

Email based? I had to fax them in those days! :-D
Even had to snail mail a few.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
FLe8 said:
Sorry for being naive, but exactly how hard is it for me to send you an email "from" the registrant contact email address? That's a rhetorical question -- the answer is "not hard at all".

How, then, exactly, does this add a layer of security? NSI used to operate in this fashion with the old email-based domain modification forms (Remember those days? What a throwback! And you think domain modifications are hard now!) and of course finally ditched this system due to the MAJOR security flaws. So, how now is this "mailfrom" system more secure?

Actually, it was not the "mail from" method itself that was insecure, but rather the FORMS themselves. There was no authentication layer such as an encrypted unique identifier - it was all plaintext and predictable. All one had to do was send out the original request with the real "from" email and followup with a fake "replied" email, authorizing whatever changes. With weekend timing, there was strong chance the legitimate owner would get a few emails later on asking him to authorize - even if he declined it would be too late at that point.

Reaction score
sending an email from that admin email is actually harder than it used to be and then our system sends back out a confirmation to that email so you would also have to receive it - trust me it works very well along with our personal review of the transfer out logs. The extra set of actual eyes looking over transfer out logs is something that no other registrar does.

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MonikerMan said:
sending an email from that admin email is actually harder than it used to be...

The only way faking a return address would be harder for someone trying to steal a domain is that they might encounter SPF or Sender-ID protection, which would block their attempted send at the mail server. Otherwise, it's as simple as doing a WHOIS query, then setting your Outlook email account to mimic the "from" email address in question, and hitting Send...

MonikerMan said:
... and then our system sends back out a confirmation to that email so you would also have to receive it - trust me it works very well along with our personal review of the transfer out logs. The extra set of actual eyes looking over transfer out logs is something that no other registrar does.

... I see now, it's the REPLY confirmation that is the actual secure portion of the process. That's fine with me, I was just under the impression that you somehow put weight on the "from" address, which is very easy to impersonate.

As it happens, I am attempting my first transfer from your registrar as we speak (you should already have received two emails from me), so I will see first hand how everything works. I have followed the advice in this thread, as well as the instructions in your control panel (which are in conflict, BTW), and will post my results here when the dust clears.

FWIW, I think there is certainly some need for a registrar that puts domain protection in the forefront for a premium, as long as they don't take offense or exert undue pressure (once identification has been reasonably provided, etc.) when someone transfers domains away from them if this protection is no longer needed.

Reaction score
Consumers - what exactly are you a consumer of?

you now owe me $600 for time spent on this post because you do not even know what our process is/was or how we protect domains for our customers, yet you continue to be one of the few that argue about it. It is not 2003 any more - WAKE UP

I guess every one can guess what happened to your reseller business????

rdmedia

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
consumers said:
That e-mail is the exact same process used by the domain transfer system so it adds no security over and above the current procedures. What really happens is that all transfers out are blocked and Mr. Monte Moniker Doubletalker waits for the people to complain.

As for what all the other registrars do I don't see how anyone would know that.

You're just being an ass now, you've made your point... you don't like Moniker. Boo-f*cking-hoo, I bet Monte won't sleep for weeks now.

Fact is Moniker has never lost a domain to theft ever... I know for a fact Enom and GoDaddy and the likes cannot say that.

Reaction score
Well at least we are better than enom and godaddy now...??

Consumers - don't use us if you don't like us.

I get involved directly with my customers and spend time on forums like this one because I am committed to my customers and to my business. How many other execs do you see responding to issues and concerns on any forums?

I dedicate my time, good or bad, because I do care - If I didn't, I would not be here. people don't always agree with my position but at least my position is crystal clear.

Trust me, its not worth it to respond to allogations and issues from 2 years ago...and certainly not worth it to change a policy that has protected hundreds of thousands of domains and thousands of customers over the years!

I remember (not so long ago) another forum member who bitched and bitched about an issue from the past and they were kicked off this forum for blowing his professional cool.....which you have almost done a couple times on this thread and certainly did in your private message to me. That person was Bidawinner who was more of whiner than a winner. Why don't you start helping consumers and not consume everyone's energy on an issue that has already been beat up to death.

JayK

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You pays your money and you take your choice.

One of the reasons that Moniker is so secure is that there are a number of hoops to jump through to get domains transferred out. Same with DotRegistrar. I don't think anyone would disagree that these are two of the safest Registrars to be with, but it is a question of choice. You pay a bit more for the service, but if you have a really valuable domain, it's going to be safe and they are going to look after you if there are problems.

LeftRightOut

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JayK said:
You pay a bit more for the service, but if you have a really valuable domain, it's going to be safe and they are going to look after you if there are problems.

Oh I don't know about paying more, they seemed quite reasonable when I asked them about bulk pricing :eek:k:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators