Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

My home office is soo noisy (How does the sound travel, anyway?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So, I work from home many hours a day, or at least I try to.
But I also have three 5yo kids (yes, triplets, two girls and a boy) which are awfully noisy. The wife doesn't make it any easier. Not only they have a bold, high pitched voice (I hope they can use it for sing one day), but they also shout many times a day while playing or fighting. So, either happy or angry they're noisy. Their normal speech is already loud. I can hear them from the sidewalk as well when I'm getting home.
I talked to their teacher in the kinder garden and asked her if she thought it was normal they were so loud and she told me they were the quieter in their class :(.
I was hoping an interchange with two deaf mute cute girls, but they were already reserved for the next two years, by other desperate parents.

I have a little home-office in a room, which has a door, which I keep closed all the time. But I hear everybody like if they were behind of me.
My house is made with concrete blocks, not wood like in the USA. The door is metal filled by some wood and other isolator materials.

I tried by putting a sort of sealer on the door, made with foam. It reduced the noise like 5% at most :(

I tried headphones as well. The music could not cover their voices. Unless I crank it all, but then I can't concentrate because the music and sometimes I found me dancing in the corridor in underwear, and could not remember how I got there.
There are noise cancelling headphones. I have three sets... one for each kid. It makes it worse, now when they use it they have to speak LOUDER because they can't hear each other. I've tried other techniques, but none of them can keep the children quiet, regardless how hard and fast I throw the set to them, they always sort the hit out. The cord was too thin to keep them tied, it broke so easy.
I also tried using them myself, one above the other, but no matter how much sshshshsh sound they produced, they could not cancel the kids noises.
The last thing was pointing the speakers to the home stereo mic, so I could crank it up and told hush them at 150db, the result was a big "peeeeeeeee" noise that put me deaf a couple of days. On the bright side, it was not too bad.

Someone recommend me an attitude change. I thought it was a good idea. So, I gather the kids together and tried to explain the thing, but all started wrong when they asked "what's attitude"?

I've heard sometimes the dogs can be taken to the vet to surgery so they don't bark that loud. I suppose that's prohibited for the wife and children, even in Mexico.

Now, seriously, What do you recommend me to do? I need quiet to be productive !

Domain Summit 2024

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
when are they in kindergarten? cant you work while they are in school?

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They go in the morning 9am-1am.
I have a 9-5 day job. So I work at home from 6pm to 12pm.
There are not nocturne kindergarten.

DNP

Trust & Reliability
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's simple like 2x2.
Let them sleep from 8:00 pm and work from 8:00pm-2:00am

Please send a dollar to my Paypal for the advice :lol:
-DNP-

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem you do at my home, so I completely understand, the noise and being interrupted every 10 minutes make work extremely difficult. My first suggestion is to adjust your hours. You say you start work at 6pm to 12pm, your kids should be in bed by 8:00, that's when our kids go down, so that gives you 3 hours of quality time with your children and 4 hours to work in peace, if you want more time at the office and less with the kids, here's a solution to really cut out the noise, I'm assuming your floor is concrete and your not on a raised foundation, since sound travels through raised foundations.

You need to do 2 things, First, replace your door with a flat wooden solid core door 1 3/4" thick, make sure to add a threshold to seal the bottom, Once this is done, have a carpenter frame in another door jamb in front of the 1st door, and use the same kind of door for it, leave at least 12 inches of space between the 2 doors, an office that we lease has double doors and they completely block out everything, except for outside noises....I hope this helps!

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i do the same thing- have one 3 year old home- and when my others get home from school, i am with them all till about 8 when they all head to bed- then i am on till about 1am in the peace and quiet- then up again at 6am-
IF my 3 year old is say, watching a spiderman or spykids movie or something, i can get some time on then- its kinda hit and miss during the day, depending on him- but usually from 4-8 i am not "on"- i may pop on to check email or make a quick post, but i plant my butt after bedtime-
nice door idea raider- gonna have to get hubby to look into that one

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Let them sleep from 8:00 pm and work from 8:00pm-2:00am

Exactly ! I have 3 years telling that to the wife. She says she can't make it.
The go to bed at 10:00pm. I think that's to late to wake up at 7:00am. They sleep 9 hours, I think they should sleep 10hrs at least. Now that they can, they should do it, that's good for growing.

Anyway, I've been working up to 3am all this year. So, sleeping 4 hours... :disappointed: feels like dying every morning.

The ironic thing is I'm working this hard for them, but I feel, I'm not gonna last 10 years at this pace and let them alone in their teens. :worried:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Sleep is over-rated. But madness is hereditary: you get it from your kids :D

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And use the same kind of door for it, leave at least 12 inches of space between the 2 doors, an office that we lease has double doors and they completely block out everything, except for outside noises....I hope this helps!

Thanks for the advise, I also thought it was the door the problem, not the walls.
I'm going to consider this.
Also, I have a friend who has a friend who made a recording studio at home. He told me how they isolated from external noise, but that seemed an expensive process, covering the walls with wood, then with some sort of foam panels. I once investigated and each panel worth a lot so I dropped the idea.
I'm gonna get the door in the meantime :)

i do the same thing- have one 3 year old home- and when my others get home from school, i am with them all till about 8

Again the "8pm bedtime" ... I gotta talk to my wife again.
What she says, is that if they go bed so early they would wake up too early too, and therefore, waking up us earlier and the net result would be to still sleeping a few hours for us anyway.
Still, she have to probe it :undecided:

Sleep is over-rated.

That is the quote that makes me not to be really too worried about not sleeping as it "should". ;)

NAK

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You need to take charge of the situation, dont let your wife set rules, be a man and tell her you want the kids in bed at 8:00, if she doesnt listen, hire a pretty babysitter to put them into bed, your wife will get jealous and try to get rid of her, so you make a deal, you fire babysitter and she puts kids to bed at 8:00...you always need to use another Woman to get the things you want, it works for me!

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Treat the kids like domain names.... if they're not adding to your bottom line... sell them... you can't sell them on Ebay but I'm sure Adam would understand if you sell them on DNF... especially if it's interupting with your domain business...

I even have a pricing model... since it's 2 girls and 1 boy triplets (which is super rare)... and I'm sure they're super top quality loving kids (just noisy) (hence nice letters).... You market them as a 3 letter .com CLC.com Consonant, Letter, Consonant.....

You'll be rich!!!!! Just think run it by your wife first...

rusty123

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You could take a look at soundproofing your room, there is a lot of information about it on the net. But most of it is expensive. The cheapest version i have found is to glue egg cartons, foam, or carpet on the walls but not sure your wife would appreciate that. :D

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i hate kids and cant stand them..especially if they lack respect and discipline....so that answers your question..

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You could take a look at soundproofing your room, there is a lot of information about it on the net. But most of it is expensive. The cheapest version i have found is to glue egg cartons, foam, or carpet on the walls but not sure your wife would appreciate that. :D

From what he says, the walls are made of block, the sounds appears to be coming from the door and ceiling, do the double door thing, and if your home has a attic, insulate the ceiling from inside the attic....all of this should cost you under $1000.....

If this doesnt work.....Divorce your Wife and let her take the kids, this way you can visit them when your not domaining :lol:

i hate kids and cant stand them..especially if they lack respect and discipline....so that answers your question..

Your kidding....right?

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
gamefinast- thats wasnt even funny-

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Introduce them to after-dinner Jello-shots, made with rum instead of tequila. Works for annoying adult family members as well.

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nope....and i will stand by my comments..

jello shots are yummy...

one of my nephews is responsible for breaking my 2k computer...once he turns 18....i will tell him to pay up...;)

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can tell your brother or sister to pay for it right now, why to wait ? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom