Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Now that the "Domains Wanted" forum is one forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The one thing that will be annoying about grouping the domains wanted section into one forum is that people will post stuff like "Premium domain wanted" and when you click to enter the thread you'll see "Budget, $5 Max".

It just gets frustrating having to sift through the threads made by people with little to no budget looking for premium domains. I understand that the definition of "Premium" is different for everybody, but I imagine it should be at least a few hundred or it shouldn't have that word in the title.

The best option might be to have tags for different budgets (make it a required field) for the various domains wanted threads.

[UNDER $100] Looking for gaming blog domain
[$1,000+] Three character .com wanted.
[UNDER $10] Buying garbage domains.
[$10,000+] Corporate Brandable Domain Needed ASAP
[$500+] Decent Forum/Talk Domains Wanted

You could do other budgets also, but you get the idea. It would solve your problem of people not posting budgets in the OP also if you made the tags a requirement. It would also make sifting through the threads a lot easier, especially if we can search or filter by tag/budget.

It would also be a ton better than having multiple forums for different budgets which you just got rid of.

Think this might be possible?

Upvote 0

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The OP needs to state the price range and requirements (geo, tld, etc...) If they don't specify the range then they will either get nothing or a ton of spam PMs.

We have no intention to create any more sub forum as it does not work.
We are also thinking if the OP did not answer any pm or post in 30 days we will close the thread. Many members just post and never reply or answer - It is a waste of time for everyone.

Thanks,

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The one thing that will be annoying about grouping the domains wanted section into one forum is that people will post stuff like "Premium domain wanted" and when you click to enter the thread you'll see "Budget, $5 Max".

It just gets frustrating having to sift through the threads made by people with little to no budget looking for premium domains. I understand that the definition of "Premium" is different for everybody, but I imagine it should be at least a few hundred or it shouldn't have that word in the title.

The best option might be to have tags for different budgets (make it a required field) for the various domains wanted threads.

[UNDER $100] Looking for gaming blog domain
[$1,000+] Three character .com wanted.
[UNDER $10] Buying garbage domains.
[$10,000+] Corporate Brandable Domain Needed ASAP
[$500+] Decent Forum/Talk Domains Wanted

You could do other budgets also, but you get the idea. It would solve your problem of people not posting budgets in the OP also if you made the tags a requirement. It would also make sifting through the threads a lot easier, especially if we can search or filter by tag/budget.

It would also be a ton better than having multiple forums for different budgets which you just got rid of.

Think this might be possible?

i guess it's possible, but just because you say that you have a budget of $10k, doesn't mean you actually do.

nor does it mean you are going to buy a name or pay anywhere near $10k for it.

how many just have a string in the water and no real bait? :fish2:

but that's anyone's choice when they create a thread.

the ideal would be if everyone put a budget in their initial post, and yeah, those "premium" request threads do get ridiculous.

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the ideal would be if everyone put a budget in their initial post, and yeah, those "premium" request threads do get ridiculous.

That's just the thing though. I've even seen things like "xx.com wanted" and when I go in to take a look they have something like "No more than $10". I mean, I don't even have an xx.com but I still clicked it just to see what type of numbers were being tossed around. I'm sure people who actually own those domains get annoyed when they waste their time with lowballers like that.

A tag with the budget, even if it was extremely broad would be helpful. I for one have no interest in ever clicking on a thread with a budget of $50 or less, let alone less than reg fee.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
this section has been wrecked

needs looking at and either reinstating or radically building out imho

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We let it go for so long and all we see was spamming in every sub forum. Members list the same requirements but post in every single sub forum.

What we can do to improve is in addition to the requirements (specific name for specific business: golf, restaurants, shoes, etc...) OP needs to state the range in the title.

We don't like to have too many rules but on the other hand you guys don't want to see too many crap threads in this section.

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, it was nice to be able to only go into the forums where people with serious budgets were posting. Now we have no way of knowing what people are looking to spend and the cheapskates will be mixed right in with the legitimate buyers.

That's why adding tags (built into vbulletin) and requiring the thread starters to select a tag (also built into vbulletin) seems like the ultimate way to perfect the section.

After all, you can tell people to put their budget in the titles until you are blue in the face but in the end nobody will do it and a lot of threads will just be closed and the section will be confusing and full of closed threads.

ClickEarn

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Put back "Priced" sub-forum
Allow only one post per day

If no replies after posting, ban that user from posting again

This was a good thread, please reinstate

Thx...

nameadvertising.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Taking a step back -

Last edited by a moderator:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if it is taking a step back, it's going back to the old dnforum format

some of you guys/gals may not know the issues and problems with managing "three different subforums" on the same subject.

many of the OP's don't follow up on their threads.
many list outrageous criteria for their tiny budgets
newbies love to bump up old threads from last year
some OP's like to make threads in every section

and very few members will report old threads in domains wanted area, they just keep on posting

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So what would be bad about adding tags to the one forum and keeping it all combined in one? Right now it's just a big mess and I can't imagine anybody wants to click on each thread to see what the budget is, only to find out that in 50% or more of the threads no budget has been posted.

Either budget should be required in the title or it should be required as a tag. A tag would be easier to require because the system would spit you an error if you didn't select one.

Chuck

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank for all the feedback!

We are paying attention and looking at our options for this section.

Chuck

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From my experience in the past. A required budget in the title would best serve this section.
- Many members use this section to legally spam the OP with unwanted names as they don't usually read the requirements. The more sections we have the more spams will follow.
- All threads with no response from OP in 30 days should be closed - Many members just post and never reply or answer PM - An opportunity for spammer to dig the old grave.
- Multiple sections do not make any sense as we experienced in the past. Members post same requirements in multiple section (i.e. Traffic/Revenue names for under $100???)

Thanks,
John

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
I much prefer everything in the same section. Having it in 5 separate forums was a pain in the butt. I was irked when it was split out, but am happy it was reversed!

Jessica320

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am not used to this format, I like the old one better because it's a lot organized. Maybe admin will have a system wherein OP's who post in multiple sections get penalized. Say, a 24-hour ban (without the humiliating title "banned" under the username) or inability to use certain features in a short period or something.

Or just stating the budget within the title as long as it is in a specific section. For example, one section for short domains in any extension (1-6 characters), one for NNN.extension, one for one-worders or real dictionary names; another for long-tail keywords, etc.

Names could also be categorized into general interests or niches, for example: health, IT, e-commerce, insurance, personal, home improvement, adult, domains, charity, social issues, diseases, family, education, career, jobs, online games, sports, travel/geo, webdesign, child, seniors, religious, political, entertainment, so on and so forth.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Also...keep thread comments out...Problem you also have is people have to shoot their opinon in a thread..."Oh...you'll never get that for that much" etc.

Make the budget and what you are looking for in the title mandatory LLL.com ...Budget $50
Brandable 4 letter... to high $xxx

If you don't have what buyers are asking for at the budget posted...move on....no comments....who cares what you think....honestly. It just leads to every expert in the world trying to post and show how smart they are...
And the serious/real buyers soon figure it out that when they don't get responses....it is usually their budget that needs adjusting.....the others just don't have a clue usually.

The problem with not stating a budget is you will have people saying...
"I am looking for a brandable whatever name"...send via PM please.
You send a name and then they tell you...Sorry my budget is only $30...another waste of bandwidth. Having a budget that is visible is just a time saver and the ones that post looking for the LLL.com name...budget $500 ...are only hurting their own cred...

just my humble opinion...

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Also...keep thread comments out...Problem you also have is people have to shoot their opinon in a thread..."Oh...you'll never get that for that much" etc.

Make the budget and what you are looking for in the title mandatory LLL.com ...Budget $50
Brandable 4 letter... to high $xxx

If you don't have what buyers are asking for at the budget posted...move on....no comments....who cares what you think....honestly. It just leads to every expert in the world trying to post and show how smart they are...
And the serious/real buyers soon figure it out that when they don't get responses....it is usually their budget that needs adjusting.....the others just don't have a clue usually.

The problem with not stating a budget is you will have people saying...
"I am looking for a brandable whatever name"...send via PM please.
You send a name and then they tell you...Sorry my budget is only $30...another waste of bandwidth. Having a budget that is visible is just a time saver and the ones that post looking for the LLL.com name...budget $500 ...are only hurting their own cred...

just my humble opinion...

RIGHT, this sounds the most sensible to me too.

You can just scan the Titles here on the forum or via RSS. :eek:k:

MacyT.

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Two things - first, if the OP is required to state their budget range or else their thread is closed is good. People don't have to click on the post - they can just hover their mouse over it to see the budget.

The other idea - is what about making just two categories - $1000 and up
and then anything under $1000 in it's own section?

This cuts down on work for moderators, but separates the 'premium' from the lower quality ones...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom