Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Partnercash.com sells for $110k ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mole

sasquatch said:
For every one such investment, there are literally hundreds of thousands of similar or better "investments" rotting to their bones while waiting to "mature".

Yes, it is a tough one - to move your domains with a reasoned profit margin and generate cash flow, or to wait, maybe forever, to win the Powerball.

Domain Summit 2024

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
E-Promote said:
DaddyHalbucks, how did those .MD investments work out for you?

Not too well. But, what is your point?

?

If your point is that the CC TLDs generally suck as investments, I would agree.

If your point is that not all of my own investments have been winners, I would agree.

If your point is to look somewhat petulant and foolish, I would agree.

If your point is to demean or belittle me, I would not agree.

Premium Domains

[email protected]
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
partnercash.de (Alexa ranking 35188) bought the domain partnercash.com as a lot of their users were going there by mistake.

Thats a big company with BIG revenue.

That explains the price of 110k they paid for this domain.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Premium Domains said:
partnercash.de (Alexa ranking 35188) bought the domain partnercash.com as a lot of their users were going there by mistake.

an alexa.com ranking does not make a company big.

rick had something this guys wanted/needed.. they were able to afford it and did secure it after all said and done. win-win situation for both parties.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That explains the whole thing...

Premium Domains said:

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DaddyHalbucks said:
Schwartz registered the name for 35 bucks back in the 90's as it states there, sat on the name for years and sold it for this amount.. Talk about Luck with a capital "L" !
++++++++++++++++++++

It ain't luck, Honey.

It's called an investment which matured.

Congrats to the Domain King!

;)

Daddy, actually I would say on balance that Rick was bloody lucky not to loose another UDRP over this one!

Regards
Dave Wrixon

DaddyHalbucks said:
Agreed.

But, why does Rick seem to hold so many successful investments while others hold the rotting corpses?

If people can't look at a successful person like Rick and learn from him, if people can't recognize successful investing when they see it unfold in front of them, if people can't learn from their own mistakes of holding rotting corpses and change their tactics, then they deserve to fail. Simple as that.

Rick and others made huger fortunes at this because when they bought, generally 6-7 years ago, they were taking a big gamble on something new. To assume that you will get the same success trying to mimic their actions 6-7 years on is to entirely miss the point. It may be that if you were to shadow their current acquisitions, then there might be something to be learnt, but having said that they too might be trying to repeat past success. As you know this doesn't always work.

To make a really big killing rather than just make a arbiteurs percentage, you have have to identify new opportunities and pile in before too many others catch on. This is the reason that I have gone heavily down the IDN route. Of course it is always a big gamble and such plays often don't work out. I may be totally wrong but at least I am not just another copy cat overpaying for a lot of dot com drops, which in many cases should have been allowed to do just that!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dave Wrixon wrote:

Daddy, actually I would say on balance that Rick was bloody lucky not to loose another UDRP over this one!

DOUBT IT. MY ASSUMPTION IS THAT RICK REGISTERED HIS DOMAIN FIRST. WHEN WAS THE .DE DOMAIN REGISTERED?

Rick and others made huger fortunes at this because when they bought, generally 6-7 years ago, they were taking a big gamble on something new.

YES. SOMETHING NEW AND SOMETHING PEOPLE WANTED: PRIME .COMs

PEOPLE CONSTANTLY GRIPE THAT ALL THE GREAT OPPORTUNITIES ARE OVER, BUT I COULDN'T DISAGREE MORE. I THINK IT IS ACTUALLY EASIER TO MAKE HUGE FORTUNES NOW THAN 6 YEARS AGO. RICK'S SUCCESS IS ONE REASON WHY. HE HAS PAVED THE WAY. YOU JUST HAVE TO INNOVATE AND BE AHEAD OF THE CURVE.

To assume that you will get the same success trying to mimic their actions 6-7 years on is to entirely miss the point.

I TOTALLY DISAGREE. IF YOU WANT TO MIMIC SOMETHING, MIMIC SUCCESS, ASSUMING THE OTHER FACTORS ARE THE SAME.

It may be that if you were to shadow their current acquisitions, then there might be something to be learnt, but having said that they too might be trying to repeat past success. As you know this doesn't always work.

To make a really big killing rather than just make a arbiteurs percentage, you have have to identify new opportunities and pile in before too many others catch on.

YUP.

This is the reason that I have gone heavily down the IDN route. Of course it is always a big gamble and such plays often don't work out. I may be totally wrong but at least I am not just another copy cat overpaying for a lot of dot com drops, which in many cases should have been allowed to do just that!

THIS LOGIC JUMP, I DON'T KNOW..

.COMs ARE PROVEN, IDNs ARE NOT. I WISH YOU WELL, BUT IDNs SEEM VERY VERY RISKY.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DaddyHalbucks wrote:

DOUBT IT. MY ASSUMPTION IS THAT RICK REGISTERED HIS DOMAIN FIRST. WHEN WAS THE .DE DOMAIN REGISTERED?

Haven't been able to Whois the registry but this may not have been the critical issue. The real issue is whether there was a company of significant size registered and trading and whether Rick could have convince them that his motivation for registering was indeed honorable. Probably a tough call in view of recent events!

YES. SOMETHING NEW AND SOMETHING PEOPLE WANTED: PRIME .COMs

Agreed, but it is investing in something people will want. If you only look at current requirements, chances are everything is already gone. He got the dot coms back then because few others were really interested.

PEOPLE CONSTANTLY GRIPE THAT ALL THE GREAT OPPORTUNITIES ARE OVER, BUT I COULDN'T DISAGREE MORE. I THINK IT IS ACTUALLY EASIER TO MAKE HUGE FORTUNES NOW THAN 6 YEARS AGO. RICK'S SUCCESS IS ONE REASON WHY. HE HAS PAVED THE WAY. YOU JUST HAVE TO INNOVATE AND BE AHEAD OF THE CURVE.

I disagree, the original dot com gold rush was a one off event and probably the biggest opportunity to make a vast fortune from limited investment that has ever existed. That is not to say there are not new opportunities but they will tend to found in niches and probably requires more research and intuition.

I TOTALLY DISAGREE. IF YOU WANT TO MIMIC SOMETHING, MIMIC SUCCESS, ASSUMING THE OTHER FACTORS ARE THE SAME.

The problem is that six years on the market has moved on. The types of opportunity Rick scoped up back then are long gone! Of course my investment patterns in the IDN market mimic his and others successes. We more or less know what works and what doesn't many of these lessons can be applied.

THIS LOGIC JUMP, I DON'T KNOW..

.COMs ARE PROVEN, IDNs ARE NOT. I WISH YOU WELL, BUT IDNs SEEM VERY VERY RISKY.

Well, that is just my point. Dot coms are now regarded like the new gold standard, but back then few saw them as a sound investment prospect. It was probably still doubtful as to whether the registrant had any clear right of ownership. Dot Com speculation back then was clearly a risky business, but of course most were snapped up for a song.

The parallels with IDN are very clear, but just because dot coms succeeded, one cannot conclude that success of IDN is assured. Like all speculative investments, time will be the judge.

None of this is really new though. It is really only in the last two hundred years that there has been a real appreciation of the true value of Real Estate as a private investment.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

D MARKS

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting comments....I would have to say this to me seems more like winning the lottery on this sale, many of the other keyword sales reported would make sense based on traffic or branding potential, this one was a bit confusing.

Can't beat the roi on a $ 35 dollar registration!

It does make me think twice about letting any of my non traffic names drop.

Hopefully it works for the buyer, I will be interested to see what type of site they develop there.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
D MARKS said:
Hopefully it works for the buyer, I will be interested to see what type of site they develop there.

As, it is already pointed at their website such supposition is not required.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Premium Domains said:

Even if a few of them were making that mistake, so what?

Does it mean that some of your potential visitors (and since they are Germean speakers we shall assume they possessed above average intelligence) can not comprehend the mistake they made (assuming they made that mistake, even though they should be aware that German language content is normally found in .de extensions) and somehow won't be able to come back by typing the correct extension?

Most importantly, German Overture shows 0 for "partnercash.de", and 0 for the term "partner cash" - so I have a hard time believing that so many people were making that mistake to begin with.

In any case, the question is not why, how and to whom was it sold, but whether this particular sale was an exception or the norm?

DaddyHalbucks said:
I THINK IT IS ACTUALLY EASIER TO MAKE HUGE FORTUNES NOW THAN 6 YEARS AGO.

Says you, only to completely contradict yourself by making the next statement below which says that in order to be successful you need to be ahead of the curve, therefore effectively implying that the success can only come in the future.

DaddyHalbucks said:
RICK'S SUCCESS IS ONE REASON WHY. HE HAS PAVED THE WAY. YOU JUST HAVE TO INNOVATE AND BE AHEAD OF THE CURVE.

This is completely contradictory and makes no sense at all, because if he has paved the way, why do you still have to be innovative and ahead of the curve?

DaddyHalbucks said:

Again, you're totally confusing the issue. You can not mimic success itself, you can only attempt to mimic the potential circumstances (and only from your end) that led to that success. But the circumstances are never the same like they were in the "original" case of that success, so in essence you and thousands of others who are "mimicking" somebody's success are actually increasing their odds in reaching the same type of success (you are mimicking) because you're making the field more competitive, saturated and abundant with choices, and when that happens the prices have to go down. Copy of a copy of a copy is normally never valued as the original.

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well I say Kudos to him.. the fact is a company buying a domain is just like buying real estate.. and sales of high magnitude bring along free press and exposure.. if you consider that to place an advert in one of my publications would cost $50,000 for an inside front cover.. television advertising cost $190,000 and more for Prime time.. how much does a couple of SQL Server Licences cost from Microsoft? Now put that into perspective and for a business $100,000 is nothing..

Overture, Google, DMOZ.. that does not matter to a company only to domainers really, you think about PPC revenue.. a company thinks about ... Easy To remember and bradability.. it might of just fit into there business Plan..

Most domain sales now sell under the radar.. I myself have had to sign 2 non disclosure agreements on domain sales...

I am pleased for rick, he has some balls to negotiate up to this amount.. and I will bet the offer price was nothing like that..

I myself start to flap once negotiations are at $5000.. at any point the other party could walk away, and your $6 domain is like playing who wants to be a millionaire except if you get the wrong answer you loose it all.

Kudos Kudos Kudos..

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dwrixon wrote:

Haven't been able to Whois the registry but this may not have been the critical issue. The real issue is whether there was a company of significant size registered and trading and whether Rick could have convince them that his motivation for registering was indeed honorable. Probably a tough call in view of recent events!

IT IS THE CRITICAL ISSUE. ENTITY SIZE IS NOT THAT IMPORTANT IN THIS INSTANCE. THE WAY TO TRUMP DOMAIN OWNERSHIP IS WITH TRADEMARK CLAIM. TRADEMARK RIGHTS GENERALLY RESULT FROM FIRST USE. THEREFORE, THE DATE OF THE REGISTRATION OF THE DOMAINS IS VERY IMPORTANT. IF THE COMPANY PAID RICK RATHER THAN FILED A UDRP, LET'S ASSUME RICK WAS FIRST.

Agreed, but it is investing in something people will want.

THERE IS NO ANALOGY BETWEEM IDNs AND .COMs. NOBODY WANTS IDNs WHICH ARE A SECURITY NIGHTMARE TECHNICALLY CUMBERSOME.

If you only look at current requirements, chances are everything is already gone. He got the dot coms back then because few others were really interested.

THAT'S WHY LOOKING AHEAD IS SO IMPORTANT.

I disagree, the original dot com gold rush was a one off event and probably the biggest opportunity to make a vast fortune from limited investment that has ever existed. That is not to say there are not new opportunities but they will tend to found in niches and probably requires more research and intuition.

BACK WHEN RICK WAS INVESTING IN THE MID LATE 90s IT WAS SOMEWHAT UNCLEAR THAT .COM DOMAINS WOULD BE WORTH ALOT SOMEDAY. TODAY, THERE IS NO DOUBT. SURE, ALOT OF $35 HOPE DIAMONDS AREN'T AVAILABLE ANY MORE, BUT THERE ARE PLENTY OF $3500 HOPE DIAMONDS STILL AROUND.

The problem is that six years on the market has moved on. The types of opportunity Rick scoped up back then are long gone!

NO. THE RISK HAS LESSENED AND PRICES HAVE INCREASED, BUT THEY WILL INCREASE MORE IN THE COMING YEARS. THE MARKET HAS PROVED THAT .COMs ARE DESIREABLE; ALL MAJOR CORPS USE THEM AND THE BIG PRICE SALES ARE ALL .COM. THIS PROVES VALUE AND REDUCES RISK.

Of course my investment patterns in the IDN market mimic his and others successes.

BUT WHAT IS THE REASON WHY LARGE ENTITIES WOULD WANT TO SWITCH TO IDNs, AND HOW TO OVERCOME THE SECURITY PROBLEMS?

We more or less know what works and what doesn't many of these lessons can be applied.

INDEED.

.COM WORKS. IDNs MAY WORK, BUT IT IS VERY UNCLEAR. IT ACTUALLY LOOKS UNLIKELY NOW.

Well, that is just my point. Dot coms are now regarded like the new gold standard, but back then few saw them as a sound investment prospect.

BUT THAT IS IRRELEVANT. WHAT IS RELEVANT ARE THE FACTORS WHY .COM SUCCEEDED.

It was probably still doubtful as to whether the registrant had any clear right of ownership.

?

Dot Com speculation back then was clearly a risky business, but of course most were snapped up for a song.

The parallels with IDN are very clear, but just because dot coms succeeded, one cannot conclude that success of IDN is assured. Like all speculative investments, time will be the judge.

YUP. I AM CURIOUS WHY YOU THINK IDNs WILL SUCCEED WHERE ALL THE OTHERS .COM WANNABEES HAVE FAILED?

RIGHT NOW, IT LOOKS LIKE VERY WISHFUL THINKING --BUT I HOPE IT HAPPENS FOR YOU. MAYBE THEN YOU CAN BE *MY* DADDY..

QuantumBeam

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well said Daddy,.............

.com will always be king!!
:wink:

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dave,

The bottom line: your belief that IDNs are the new .COM is a THEORY.

In general, the burden of proof for a theory is on the person who posits the theory. It is not the world's burden to prove the theory is wrong. It is the person's job to prove the theory is RIGHT.

Therefore, you need to prove that your theory is correct, which I don't believe has been done. It is not enough to say "IDNs are early stage, just like .COMs were a decade ago, and therefore IDNs are the next .COMs."

You need to show us WHY. Especially, you need to show why IDNs are superior to .COMs and why they will replace .COMs.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DaddyHalbucks said:
Dave,

The bottom line: your belief that IDNs are the new .COM is a THEORY.

In general, the burden of proof for a theory is on the person who posits the theory. It is not the world's burden to prove the theory is wrong. It is the person's job to prove the theory is RIGHT.

Therefore, you need to prove that your theory is correct, which I don't believe has been done. It is not enough to say "IDNs are early stage, just like .COMs were a decade ago, and therefore IDNs are the next .COMs."

You need to show us WHY. Especially, you need to show why IDNs are superior to .COMs and why they will replace .COMs.

Daddy,

There seem to be a few misconceptions here. Most of my IDN are dot coms (the remainder are dot nets), they are part of the same registry and go through the DNS in exactly the same way. All that is different is that they don't make much sense in the browser until decoded. Soon this will happen so seemlessly most users will be oblivious to the process.

It has never been suggested that IDN would replace dot coms. It is merely an extension of choice to the 90% of people who been excluded by the Anglo-Centric nature of the internet. Most Americans are never going to require IDNs as the English Language doesn't require them. On the face of things neither do most of the European Languages, but it has not stopped them becoming very popular in Germany, where only a handful of characters need IDN for them to be represented.

The poor Chinese have been so restricted by the original DNS that many of their top sites are still represented by Numbers rather than Words. Only a marginal improvement on using IP addresses. OK, we are all capable of remembering a few of them, but as Chinese Internet addresses proliferate, is it not concievable that they might like to represent the site addresses using language rather than numerical indexing? Surely, that is what the DNS was invented for?

It is of fundamental importance that domains reflect keyword searches in search engines or at least the characters people can readily input from their keyboards, or whatever other input device they may have. If somebody searches for say "computer" by inputting the Chinese equivalent, it is pretty unlikely that those characters are going to be translated into English by the search and then throw up the relevant site with the right keywords in the URL. English dot coms will therefore be pretty much useless in attracting Chinese traffic to a site. Chinese type in will almost never end up at a site with an English URL. In short Romanic dot coms are fine for the purpose for which they were designed and will continue to function adequately for that purpose. However, with the broadening of the Client base the specification requirement are now much wider. The need for Multilingual Keywords and Domains is difficult to refute, it just a question of implementation and adoption.

It is because I believe in the strength of the dot com brand and because of the economics of buying dot com IDN, that I have gone down this route rather than investing in ccTLD IDNs, which of course will also have their place, but may not provide such a Bonanza.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Mr. Deleted said:
I don't agree that they will replace, at any rate, the .com. But some may be successful in those countries that use those letters.

This comment suggests that you don't have the foggiest idea what you are talking about.

Dave Wrixon

DigitalChanges said:
well said Daddy,.............

.com will always be king!!
:wink:

Well of course it will, dot com IDN will outsell all other IDN extensions!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

M

mole

When the tea lady advises you to buy .COM, its already way too late...

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This comment suggests that you don't have the foggiest idea what you are talking about.

Dave Wrixon

I do know what I'm saying. Say in their language, if you gat "spanish.com" or a similar type in word, it will be good HOWEVER going out and buying 100K IDNs is not going to pay off for a LONG time.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mr. Deleted said:
I do know what I'm saying. Say in their language, if you gat "spanish.com" or a similar type in word, it will be good HOWEVER going out and buying 100K IDNs is not going to pay off for a LONG time.

Well I not sure whether Spanish needs IDN. But thats the whole point, with some of the less familiar languages it has been possible to register domains that you could never dream of in English dot com, probably not even in 1998. With IDN you follow much the same process, except there is a severe risk of linguistic errors. For Chinese we have used Google Scores, and more latterly 3721.com, Baidu.com and Overture to give us an idea of what to register.

Arabic proved the most difficult as the level of development in Arabic at the time was almost none existent. We picked some real winners, but have got quite a lot of duck eggs as well. Hindi, is only really starting to get going, so the Jury is still out on these.

If you are talking new registrations then the opportunities in IDN are certainly better than traditional dot coms. If you are talking Daddy's language where you are ploughing in with $3-$5K a shot, then obviously you can make a lot of money if you know what you are doing. Could also be a pretty quick way of loosing a small fortune. The advantage of sticking to high value domains is of course smaller renewal costs, but these days you are talking about $7 rather than $35 back in 1998.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

mole said:
When the tea lady advises you to buy .COM, its already way too late...

Well, it is a mis-quote of Jack Kennedy who got out of the stock market in 1929 after being asked what to buy, by the Shoe-Shine Boy. Principle still holds strong though. Another version is:

When the last Bear turns Bullish, its time to sell.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators