Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Paypal facilitates legalized theft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNbuy

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I have never had any specific reason to dislike Paypal...until today.

We purchased a laptop battery from an online retailer using Paypal. The battery arrived with almost 30% additional fees tacked on for various things. I had no problem with some of these charges but others were for shipping which we had already paid for seperate from the purchase price of the battery. We refused the shipment, tried to resolve the issue with seller and eventually determined that the only thing we could do was ask for our money back.

The seller refused to refund the money so we attempted to take it up with Paypal. They informed us that we could file a complaint but that there was nothing that they could do for us because we are an international member (from Canada). I explained that the seller now had the battery our payment and smug look on their face but they insisted they could do nothing. I asked for the the ladies supervisor which she said she could not give. I then asked for a phone number of someone that I could explain my problem to. She said it was against customer policy. I then asked for her name. She replied with her first name but refused to give me either her last name or employee number.

I am wondering what is stopping anyone from opening a business selling any product they want (it doesn't really have to exist) and stealing customers money. Paypal will help you to do it and will not even tell you who they are. As a matter of fact, if there are criminals reading this right now, you now have a legitamate way to collect credit cards for your fraudulent activity.

Has anyone else ever had this type of problem? Does anyone know of anyone at Paypal that actually cares enough about their business to hear a concern from one of their previously content but now fervent detractor? If you have any horror stories or miracles, I sure could use your input.

Let's warn others of this legitamized avenue of theft on the Internet before so many people become dissillusioned by this farsical operation that they go to the malls instead of supporting our livelihoods.

Gomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Jim...

I've had a problem or two I needed resolved with PayPal (not nearly as serious as yours) and discovered something during my attempts to get them solved: You need to talk to more than one rep there, preferably three or more. You will then get at least two or three different stories. I have called back again and again until I got the story I liked. There are people there that are sharp, and others that don't seem to have a clue. I suggest you call back, over and over, until you find a rep that gives a rip... and then ask for the supervisor of their supervisor.... as high up as you can go.
Best of success.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I haven't used PayPal yet. I keep planning on signing up, but I keep hearing bad things about them. A friend of mine used PayPal for a number of his websites which I imagined took a while to setup. Some guy that didn't like him, contacted PayPal and accused him of spamming. PayPal cancelled his account and he couldn't do anything about it. They cancelled his account without talking to him about it. They wouldn't even talk to him about it when he requested to talk about it. They wouldn't even tell him what "proof" they had that he spammed.

This basically tells me that anyone could accuse anyone of spamming, and PayPal would just shut you down.

RMF

D

dkny

RMF, Did it happen before or after eBay took over paypal? I am always a buyer of Paypal, so I never have any problem.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That probably happened before ebay tookover paypal. I think it happened around february, but not exactly sure.

RMF

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
PayPal just helped me get $65 back from some scammer, I have never had any problems with them but I am aware some people have.

Mike

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My guess is he prepaid shipping, and got stuck with more shipping bills when he got the battery.

RMF

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Can somebody consolidate these two threads so that we can see what's going on. I've just posted on the other one

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DNbuy
I have never had any specific reason to dislike Paypal...until today.

We purchased a laptop battery from an online retailer using Paypal. The battery arrived with almost 30% additional fees tacked on for various things. I had no problem with some of these charges but others were for shipping which we had already paid for seperate from the purchase price of the battery. We refused the shipment, tried to resolve the issue with seller and eventually determined that the only thing we could do was ask for our money back.

The seller refused to refund the money so we attempted to take it up with Paypal. They informed us that we could file a complaint but that there was nothing that they could do for us because we are an international member (from Canada). I explained that the seller now had the battery our payment and smug look on their face but they insisted they could do nothing. I asked for the the ladies supervisor which she said she could not give. I then asked for a phone number of someone that I could explain my problem to. She said it was against customer policy. I then asked for her name. She replied with her first name but refused to give me either her last name or employee number.

I am wondering what is stopping anyone from opening a business selling any product they want (it doesn't really have to exist) and stealing customers money. Paypal will help you to do it and will not even tell you who they are. As a matter of fact, if there are criminals reading this right now, you now have a legitamate way to collect credit cards for your fraudulent activity.

Has anyone else ever had this type of problem? Does anyone know of anyone at Paypal that actually cares enough about their business to hear a concern from one of their previously content but now fervent detractor? If you have any horror stories or miracles, I sure could use your input.

Let's warn others of this legitamized avenue of theft on the Internet before so many people become dissillusioned by this farsical operation that they go to the malls instead of supporting our livelihoods.

"Paypal facilitates legalized theft."

Thanks for warning me.. I'll be sure and NOT buy any domains on your site... http://dnbuy.com

Paypal lower left corner ! ;)

The problem is YOU turn away a package at your doorstep..a physical asset..While at the same time knowing this was going to piss off your "retailer" you lknow the onewioth YOUR money..

Then ..you try and and get Paypal to handle YOUR dispute with the retailer..thats not wat Paypal does..they transfer funs and collect a fee ..

you have a problem with a retailer either YOUR handle or hire legal advice..

YOu had a bad day.. reality bites.. nobodys going to take care of you but YOU !

avs162

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if your paypal account is funded with creditcard withdraw all available funds and then charge back the battery cost. probally wont work as to complex and unlikley to be positioned that way

call the companies visa mastercard amex and the fdic informing them of the business practice with documentation and no doubt they taped your call so make sure facts straight. send this after letter or email to listed contact on marketing and legal website address.

sounds wild

K

kingdon

I have been with PayPal for years now, even got in on the IPO, made $4K that day. I'm sorry you're having problems with this seller, but you should fill out the buyer complaint form. They will get the money back if they can. Your story sounds legit, and you should be able to collect. I had a similar incident with a seller and had to use the complaint form, they reversed the transaction and I had my money. I think PayPAl is very fair, it's just scumbag sellers that screw buyers that make the trouble. I'm sure this guy screwed you, and you're quite pissed off about it. But I'm betting you're hoping to get PayPal to straighten out this guy.

When you asked PayPal to send this guy money they did that, they don't police sellers to make sure that they're reputable, that's the buyers job. This guy ripped you off, not PayPal, PayPal did only what you asked them to do. I have done 1500 transactions with PayPal, and only had one bad experience. 99 times out of 100 most PayPal problems are from emotionally charged buyers being ripped off. I'm sorry if my words don't help you, it's not my intent to rub salt in your wounds. Take a minute and fill out the PayPal complaint form and then fill out the e-bay Complaint form. The majority of people out there wont take the time to fill these out, but they should. Here are some e-mail address's I found to contact them, good luck.

Don

[email protected]

[email protected]

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
My problem is all with PayPal and their apparently incompetent administration. They obviously run classes in the use of cut and paste for eMails but not much else.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I've tried to find one for quite a while, and as far as I can see the safest alternative is to send cash through the post. Sounds stupid but I have never had any delays or losses this way. Every other system, excluding standard banking stuff, has given me problems.

Of course you do need to be able to trust the recipient when sending cash.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomainPairs
I've tried to find one for quite a while, and as far as I can see the safest alternative is to send cash through the post. Sounds stupid but I have never had any delays or losses this way. Every other system, excluding standard banking stuff, has given me problems.

Of course you do need to be able to trust the recipient when sending cash.

$500 ..No sorry never recieved the $500..why dont you just send it again ! ;)

options

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by BigFart
No reason to bad mouth payPal. Overall they do a pretty good job and many of us wouldn't be in business without them.

I think the same, at least in this case.
It would be the same as complaining to a bank if paying by any other means.
This should be between seller and customer and eventually some
appropriate legal/trade/customer protection organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators