Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

PAYPAL_ The criminals dream come true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNbuy

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I have never had any specific reason to dislike Paypal...until today.

We purchased a laptop battery from an online retailer using Paypal. The battery arrived with almost 30% additional fees tacked on for various things. I had no problem with some of these charges but others were for shipping which we had already paid for seperate from the purchase price of the battery. We refused the shipment, tried to resolve the issue with seller and eventually determined that the only thing we could do was ask for our money back.

The seller refused to refund the money so we attempted to take it up with Paypal. They informed us that we could file a complaint but that there was nothing that they could do for us because we are an international member (from Canada). I explained that the seller now had the battery our payment and smug look on their face but they insisted they could do nothing. I asked for the the ladies supervisor which she said she could not give. I then asked for a phone number of someone that I could explain my problem to. She said it was against customer policy. I then asked for her name. She replied with her first name but refused to give me either her last name or employee number.

I am wondering what is stopping anyone from opening a business selling any product they want (it doesn't really have to exist) and stealing customers money. Paypal will help you to do it and will not even tell you who they are. As a matter of fact, if there are criminals reading this right now, you now have a legitamate way to collect credit cards for your fraudulent activity.

Has anyone else ever had this type of problem? Does anyone know of anyone at Paypal that actually cares enough about their business to hear a concern from one of their previously content but now fervent detractor? If you have any horror stories or miracles, I sure could use your input.

Let's warn others of this legitamized avenue of theft on the Internet before so many people become dissillusioned by this farsical operation that they go to the malls instead of supporting our livelihoods.

I

interactive

PAYPAL, is a bunch of theives, I've had mine/a clients account frozen.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
PayPal is like paying in cash, with very little protection, if any.

If in doubt, use Escrow or pay by credit card.

DNbuy

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Is there anything that can be done to rectify the situation? It is unbelievable that this could happen with a company that is supposedly accountable to their shareholders and internet users.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I've got a different problem with PayPal and am a couple of days away from taking them to the English trading standards authority.
I'd be interested in working with you if things don't get resolved (or possibly even if they do.). I also think there should be some controls over quasi-banks and mat start to lobby my MP.

My sig has had the paypal reference in it for a few days now.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Some of the problems with PayPal arise from their acting as an intermediary for accepting credit cards. You take all the risks without having any of the controls. They also seem to demand access to your bank account or credit card so that they can "adjust" any problems that are not in theor favour. There have also been numerous reports of fraudulent chargebacks on Ebay.

My problems were somewhat different - they have made various charges for what was advertised as a free service, and then they couldn't provide the service anyway.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"The battery arrived with almost 30% additional fees tacked on for various things."

How is that possible when you must tell PayPal IN ADVANCE how much you want to send??

It seems impossible you would not be aware of the 30% in extra fees or am I missing something here?

K

kingdon

I have been with PayPal for years now, even got in on the IPO, made $4K that day. I'm sorry you're having problems with this seller, but you should fill out the buyer complaint form. They will get the money back if they can. Your story sounds legit, and you should be able to collect. I had a similar incident with a seller and had to use the complaint form, they reversed the transaction and I had my money. I think PayPAl is very fair, it's just scumbag sellers that screw buyers that make the trouble. I'm sure this guy screwed you, and you're quite pissed off about it. But I'm betting you're hoping to get PayPal to straighten out this guy.

When you asked PayPal to send this guy money they did that, they don't police sellers to make sure that they're reputable, that's the buyers job. This guy ripped you off, not PayPal, PayPal did only what you asked them to do. I have done 1500 transactions with PayPal, and only had one bad experience. 99 times out of 100 most PayPal problems are from emotionally charged buyers being ripped off. I'm sorry if my words don't help you, it's not my intent to rub salt in your wounds. Take a minute and fill out the PayPal complaint form and then fill out the e-bay Complaint form. The majority of people out there wont take the time to fill these out, but they should. Here are some e-mail address's I found to contact them, good luck.

Don

[email protected]

[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom