Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Please send pm notification "why" my auction thread was closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Upvote 0

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
after being moderator here for almost 6 years, most of that time for free, you'd think one might get a little bit of courtesy
I understand the situation you are in having been a mod. I know I wasn't easy on you many times. But, we move on and get down to business.

Domain Summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I understand the situation you are in having been a mod. I know I wasn't easy on you many times. But, we move on and get down to business.

Doc

there are those who still hold grudges and those that don't or never did.

i didn't perform based on the consequences of how i'd be treated later, if i did....then i felt i wouldn't be doing a service to this community

but i'm glad you have "moved on" and we truly appreciate it :)

Thanks

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the possible problem with closing these is that "possibly" if someone isn't happy with the way the auction is going they could start posting a few comments that they might hope would get their thread closed thus freeing them from having to sell the domain(s) for less than they wanted to get.

Now we all know that that would never happen here ever...but I am just offering a remotely possible hypothetical...;):rolleyes:

heads up

Cheers
j

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don, you sound like a whining little crybaby so get over it dude, nobody is "hating on you" and nobody forced you to mod for 6 years for free most of the time. You liked the power and closed everyone else's threads all the time, I remember making a thread just like this one before because you would just close every thread possible and not notify anyone about it or note why. Other side of the glass now, so don't take it personal bro!

......"imo" :cool:

Also, after all the years as a mod on here you should know better than to start a thread about it, why not just PM Johnn or an Admin, etc. Was the big poor me I want some whine with my cheese story necessary?

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Also, after all the years as a mod on here you should know better than to start a thread about it, why not just PM Johnn or an Admin, etc.

It's hard to picture you without a mobster voice with your avatar. Still good looking, nonetheless.

You have a point here but so does Don. It would take an hour or less to script something that would make the moderator choose a reason from a drop down menu upon closing a thread and to automatically send the thread starter a PM with that reason. It would save a lot of headache.

Last edited:

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why did he think it was closed because of the alignment of the moon with the planet Jupiter? If he really has to ask why it was closed, well then....6 years wasted on mod school.

lol, and no mobster voice here I am a tree hugging hippy. :hippie:

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:popcorn:

Thats what this thread was put here for, for attention.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
What I'd like to know is why this thread was closed. I thought that "Politics/Controversial" was a free for all :D

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the possible problem with closing these is that "possibly" if someone isn't happy with the way the auction is going they could start posting a few comments that they might hope would get their thread closed thus freeing them from having to sell the domain(s) for less than they wanted to get.

Now we all know that that would never happen here ever...but I am just offering a remotely possible hypothetical...;):rolleyes:

heads up

Cheers
j

Don, you sound like a whining little crybaby so get over it dude, nobody is "hating on you" and nobody forced you to mod for 6 years for free most of the time. You liked the power and closed everyone else's threads all the time, I remember making a thread just like this one before because you would just close every thread possible and not notify anyone about it or note why. Other side of the glass now, so don't take it personal bro!

......"imo" :cool:

Also, after all the years as a mod on here you should know better than to start a thread about it, why not just PM Johnn or an Admin, etc. Was the big poor me I want some whine with my cheese story necessary?

Chris

you've reserved the right to complain and or post about issues here that concern you, and as a member too... i reserve that right as well

i did report my own thread, asking why it was closed and or if they could just delete my last post.

i even sent a pm to dcg, but no one responded via pm, so i posted this thread.

i have the same rights to exercise the same means to get a response, as every other member, regardless to whether i ever modded here.

and as "Jaydub" so eloquently pointed out a loophole, now one could end their own auctions purposely by making such comments.

thus a previous question i posed may need to be addressed in the near future

still, questions need to be answered for future circumstances...

if a member makes an offer in a thread, which is subquently closed....is the offer still binding?

does the closing of a thread, render all offers null and void, even though the threads may still be visible by all members?

imo...

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
biggedon, you need to get out more, or at least a girlfriend, imo...

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If a thread is closed I don't think an offer can be binding either way. I don't think you can/should have any grey areas with this. If a thread is closed the sale/auction is ended. ( sales could be concluded at that point via PM however providing both partied are agreed)

...Maybe an amendment could be that you are allowed to have a "time left" bump/s provided it is an active thread (it has bids already). The idea of the rule I believe is to stop the incessant bumping of threads, but I think something along the "time left" I mentioned would be in the spirit of what the auction section was designed to do.

just my 2cents worth and possible food for thought..

j

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Forget Don, I wanna know why any thread I ever started was closed, do you know who I am :cheeky:

slimpickins

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I say, as long as there is sales activity moderators should exercise caution. Why ruin an active sale/auction? Simply enable the vB hack that won't let the thread starter make subsequent posts before 24 hours (or 48 hours if you must) have passed. Not to mention, that exclusives can start unlimited sales threads and yet we don't abuse this feature.

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with Biggedons "bump" that auction is closing.

A single bump at option of seller with a few hours to go especially on an very active auction should be allowed IMO.

This rule should be looked at.....one bump to a sales thread just helps serving as a "reminder" and may draw a few more interested bidders
or serve to remind other bidders who are following the thread.

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I say, as long as there is sales activity moderators should exercise caution. Why ruin an active sale/auction? Simply enable the vB hack that won't let the thread starter make subsequent posts before 24 hours (or 48 hours if you must) have passed. Not to mention, that exclusives can start unlimited sales threads and yet we don't abuse this feature.
agree

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

agree

barefoot

Go barefoot!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is the place to "talk" domains. Not to "buy" or "sell" domains. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom