Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Recent happenings

Status
Not open for further replies.

O.C.

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
There's no reason this has to be WW3.

The facts we can all agree upon:

-The issue isn't compensation. Let's just drop that. No reason to bicker back and forth endlessly when every one in the thread agrees upon it.

-He's 16 years old and didn't realize his actions when he was negotiating.

-He's addressed his actions honestly and openly at http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5546&perpage=20&pagenumber=5 and http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5598

-The mods are very valuable.

Agreed to the above? :)

Now my personal opinion: the mods should give Dan another chance to prove himself.

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I thought Dan burned the bridge when he reneged on a deal with 2 of the three Mod's for the sale of this site. Am I wrong?

P

prasit

Like I said here

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5604

DNForum worth $35-55K to business man, but worth only a few thousands to resellers or someone alike.

selling less than $10K is a total ripped-off. and then I, like most of you guys, just realized that Dan is 16. that's why he would sell it at a few thousands.

it's none of my business. i know those mods do a great job here. But then they want to take over the forum and make some profit from it.

My advice to Dan, keep it 2 more years, build a great domain community and it's worth a lot more.

Well, seem like you have to find new mods too.

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
prasit

... I think you are way off the mark in it's present valuation. I do agree though, it would be worth much more in 2 years, if it recovers from the past couple days and makes moves that restores confidence in the forum.

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think it'll likely recover, don't get how the it'll crash and burn etc started to begin with lol

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Omni
I think it'll likely recover, don't get how the it'll crash and burn etc started to begin with lol

I know some members changed ship already, it will take some time to re-estabslish confidence of everyone here.

It's worth whatever someone will pay for it - but to put an arbitrary value on it without offering to write the check yourself is now just opinion; and we know the saying about everyone having one and how it's like an @$$hole...

Most forums sell at prices that can be justified by banner ad revenue. I think you will find that the ad revenue here is not particularly high.

The domain speculator community is active here, but they are cheap when it comes to domain purchases, most are their own resellers, and unless this site starts offering a pay service, are unlikely to start funding it on their own.

Will you keep coming if this site (or any other) starts displaying dozens of PPC pop-up windows and other annoying net-marketing ploys to try to recover $35,000 in capital spent? I don't think so.

-t

Who-Wiz

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by aactive
I thought Dan burned the bridge when he reneged on a deal with 2 of the three Mod's for the sale of this site. Am I wrong?

I think RealNames means that nobody wants to move backwards at this point regardless of what there maybe to say. The rest is semantics and interpretation.

As a recommendation, I think everyone should move on at this point. I think the parties involved have.

There's a lot of work to do.

W|Z

jimr

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have read this thread and other threads about Dans and other peoples ethics etc. and I have a question -- how old are the moderators and the prospective buyer? Did they know that they were dealing with a minor?

If they know or just suspected this, I think it is totally unethical of them not to ask Dan to reconsider the deal and talk it over with his parents. In many countries in Europe it would be a criminal offence to make a deal with someone who you *know* is a minor.

The law is there to protect our minors so they don't get screwed up by greedy adults and from what I read, the law is needed.

/jr

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why don't you just all drop it for a while and let the dust settle.

Enough has happened so far .. let it be.

bigdave

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by thewitt
It's worth whatever someone will pay for it - but to put an arbitrary value on it without offering to write the check yourself is now just opinion; and we know the saying about everyone having one and how it's like an @$$hole...

Most forums sell at prices that can be justified by banner ad revenue. I think you will find that the ad revenue here is not particularly high.

The domain speculator community is active here, but they are cheap when it comes to domain purchases, most are their own resellers, and unless this site starts offering a pay service, are unlikely to start funding it on their own.

Will you keep coming if this site (or any other) starts displaying dozens of PPC pop-up windows and other annoying net-marketing ploys to try to recover $35,000 in capital spent? I don't think so.
-t

Excellent points. It's all pure speculation until the cash is on the table.

Cheers,
BD

P

prasit

thank for all the arguements.

$35-55K is what I talk about bigger players who would added this forum to their business as the added value w/o generating any profit from this forum, but to gain public interest, customer royalty, potential domain resellers, etc.

e.g. if eNom or Tucows bought this forum and maintain it the way it is. change the url to http://dnforum.enom.com. they don't need to add pop up ad or whatsoever, but they already profit in terms of business perspective v.s. $35K investment. they might need to find new mods, anyhow. JIMO

Originally posted by Omni

Why were you going to begin with me?

:D

I think everyone needs to take a chill pill and go read a good book!

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by lol

Why were you going to begin with me?

:D

I think everyone needs to take a chill pill and go read a good book!
:laugh:

O.C.

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
For today's fresh arrival of newbies:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764553178/

:laugh:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EDIT: Mistake. This was meant to be post in the "any one enjoy reading a good book" thread. I'm surprised no one asked me what this post had to do with any thing!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AMERICAR
Why don't you just all drop it for a while and let the dust settle.

Enough has happened so far .. let it be.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is my a public apology to Namethink, DNPwerful, Duke, Aactive, the 3 resigned Mods and others!

I wish to fully apologize to all you gentlemen over all of this crap which has happened involving the proposed sale of dnforum and the nasty flame war we got involved with. It really got way out of hand and greatly exaggerated, as flame wars sometimes do. In the heat of the battle they can get very nasty to say the least, until cooler heads finally prevail, as they usually do, with regrets.

Some more personal things I said or did, such as posting part of Namethink's Whois Information and the bs (stupid joke) about punching the well-respected Namethink in the nose, the very knowledgable dnpowerful negatives, and aactive being a 'loser' were not right, not correct and should not have happened, and I regret that very much, and give my sincere apology.

Unfortunately, it seems some harm has been done to the domain business by all of this. I have even receieved some private emails from people dropping out of domains alltogether over all of these flames from both sides. Hopefully they will change their mind and others will not do the same, as it is now in the past and all is forgiven by me. :)

Thank you again for everyone's time. Dave

davidthornton

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
[snip Realnames post] :)

But are you buying DNForum or not?

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by davidthornton
[snip] :)

But are you buying DNForum or not?

What was "snipped" here?

Interesting that one one has commented about the fact that Dan is a minor, and the mods are adults.

I think that "some" consideration should have been extended due to that fact. Lots of righteous indignation being spouted on all sides ....

Time to take a deep breath and start anew.

Clearing the air about the ownership structure (as davidthornton) asks, would be a good idea though.

BTW, take a look at my post about the difficulties inherent in selling a Forum or other Community site, and the care which must be taken:

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5731

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators