Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

So what are the useless tld's to not waste money on....and what has a future...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just earned 5 cents on my .us at parked.com. Didn't make any from my .com, .net, .mx, .co, .info. So, according to my data, .us is above other tlds.

there you go...this new information changes everything... :pound:

Domain Summit 2024

Makis77

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.com I like (and I m not the only one)
.org I like
.tv I like and hope to get more popular

.com fetched me more sales than all of my other tld's and cctld's together BUT .tv fetched me the best money per sale or domain. Maybe thats because in .com I own average or low quality domains while in .tv I do own some with higher quality.

zehrila

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.eu failure

.co.uk is picking up

vikrantjain22

Vik
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.co.uk
Very strong branding and usage in the UK space.
Good end user sales, every week

Ulysses

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.Com is the strongest but i do not have those deep pockets to buy decent names $$,$$$-$$$,$$$$

The .com will become so expensive that alternative tlds will be preferred.

I'm sticking with .mobi it means what it says, just like .ca .co.uk .de and all the other descriptive tlds.

I make money off .mobi by building mobile sites that i sell to endusers and i get a very nice renewal fee every year for doing absolutely nothing, thats right, $152 per year. More than i get off adsense that's for sure.

The phrase that always nails the customer and the deal is '.com for computers - .mobi for mobile'

So .mobi all the way!

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The .co.uk ccTLD has made me a good living for many years, as it has many others that I know in the UK domain community.

Bill F.

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree with most of those at the top of the thread, except for the .us. I receive almost no interest in the .us domains I have, I know their problems, I know they are hated, and I know they are being managed and marketed by hacks. Yet, I find it impossible to believe that the US will be the only country in the world without its own cctld. I know that those in the US often perceive themselves as the world, but that perception will likely be shattered in the coming years. They will need a cctld (after they figure out what one is). And with luck, they might start marketing it properly. I can't see any case at all where it will disappear completely. It can't, can it??

That said, there's no telling how long it might take, or what ridiculous new rules the US gov't. might implement to totally devalue the extension. So I'm long-term bullish, but keep my exposure limited to mad money, and I keep them snuggled right next to my .in domains.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Strange there is little if any comment about the fact 100s of domainers have been parking 1000s of dot-us domains at parking firms who use the Yahoo feed for several years with zero revenue due to the Yahoo block of the entire .us extension :?: At a bare minimum, the Yahoo feed providers should have been notifying domainers there is no way they can get ppc income from traffic their .us names get.

p.s. someone reported 5 cents from a .us click so if that is correct I assume it was from a 2nd tier alternate provider they are using other than Yahoo since I confirmed the Yahoo quality block was still in place as recently as 2 weeks ago.

A very interesting subject on the-web is that ALL .US extension domains are banned by the Yahoo feed under a quality block. Several pay-per-click parking firms who use the Yahoo PPC feed have confirmed that to be correct, and indicated Yahoo thinks every single .us domain must be poor quality and thus are banned from PPC revenue. Isn’t that an incredible wide-ranging assumption to make!

It’s been an issue for at least 2 or 3 years from what we understand. It appears both Yahoo and some of the parking firms who have been given our .us domains to monetize using the Yahoo feed in-effect keep it a secret and allegedly simply assumed we would not notice the fact we always get zero income from our dot-us country code domains.

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Strange there is little if any comment...
Why is there a need to respond to every post and someone's personal assessment?

If it is someone's personal assessment and opinion, it is really not disputable. It's just for reading and adding to an already productive thread.

As such, people have a tendency to move on

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One thing drives value in TLDs--Usage. Period. If the users are there, the advertisers and companies will be. If users are not comfortable or familiar with the extension, the burden to attract users is multiplied and that much tougher. That being said, just about any domain.TLD can be successful but to get there requires more effort the lower your Tier.

Tier 1 (King Daddy!)
.com

Tier 2 (These can stand on their own but only at a diminished scale)
.org
.de
.co.au
other ccTLDs with intense local usage

Tier 3 (This has age and familiarity on it's side-Downside is it will ALWAYS be seen as .coms little cousin/.com's alternate)
.net

Tier 4 (Up and coming or Fringe familiarity- Investment Grade)
.us (Don't count the power of the .us market if it ever gets going)
.tv

Tier 5 (Very long shots, mainly pretenders or struggling failures)
.co
.info
.biz

Tier 6 (Do these really need a comment?)
.mobi
.tel
.eu
.asia
.bz
All others including ccTLDs of countries without their own international independent business/economic marketplace

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's not a personal opinion. I have been told that Yahoo blocks ppc for all .us names by 3 different Yahoo feed providers, both on the phone and in emails. How is that just a personal assessment?

Why is there a need to respond to every post and someone's personal assessment?

If it is someone's personal assessment and opinion, it is really not disputable. It's just for reading and adding to an already productive thread.

As such, people have a tendency to move on

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Strange there is little if any comment...
You act like you are offended nobody commented on your comments.

Three days later after posting that comment, nobody quoted you or responded to your comments.

So today, three days later, you make a comment about no comment on your previous comments...

Are you not getting the love and attention you need?

Last edited:

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Judging by the fact you must have set a DNF record with 16,134 posts in 4 years it appears you are really the one who needs the attention and has little else to do all day except posting here and flaming people as I have seen you do many times, including directed to myself several times even though I have tried to avoid you in the past.

You act like you are offended nobody commented on your comments.

Three days later after posting that comment, nobody quoted you or responded to your comments.

So today, three days later, you make a comment about no comment on your previous comments...

Are you not getting the love and attention you need?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Judging by the fact you must have set a DNF record with 16,134 posts in 4 years it appears you are really the one who needs the attention and has little else to do all day except posting here and flaming people as I have seen you do many times, including directed to myself several times even though I have tried to avoid you in the past.
I see humor in every thing...you crying about people selling (or buying names) before you have a chance to buy it first, wanting people to format their lists in a certain way to make it easier on you, and now this thread.

See, my comments have nothing to do with me wanting attention. They are simply a way of sharing the humor with every one...16,135 times.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's nonsense. You just love being critical of other members based on anything they say or do. You have been in more flame wars here than anyone else as far as I recall.

I see humor in every thing...you crying about people selling (or buying names) before you have a chance to buy it first, wanting people to format their lists in a certain way to make it easier on you, and now this thread.

See, my comments have nothing to do with me wanting attention. They are simply a way of sharing the humor with every one...16,135 times.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's nonsense. You just love being critical of other members based on anything they say or do. You have been in more flame wars here than anyone else as far as I recall.
No, I seriously see the humor. Like you offering me double what I paid for something. Then when I tell you know in a PM, suddenly I get an email offer from someone named David Green. Always a low ball offer and always told no but refuses to take no for an answer.

See how funny some of this is?

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. It doesn't sound like anything I have done or my style. I also have very rarely made any emails offers and have not done so in a very long time. In addition, the few times I may have made email offers I used just my first name from what I remember.

Please PM me the alleged emails so I can verify it.

No, I seriously see the humor. Like you offering me double what I paid for something. Then when I tell you know in a PM, suddenly I get an email offer from someone named David Green. Always a low ball offer and always told no but refuses to take no for an answer.

See how funny some of this is?

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dot-com is the simple answer is if you are in the USA (and most likely anywhere) and a for-profit business. There are a few exceptions people noted above, but they are exceptions in my opinion.

jackb

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have found many unregistered keyword-rich US-specific domains available for hand-reg'ing @ .US so by all means please avoid these while I continue to search for more !

< sarcasm fully enabled :smilewinkgrin: >

Seriously, given the availability and price I think .us is a good investment where .com/.net/.org/.TV is taken - provided the domain makes most sense from a US search vs global search perspective as I would expect "Son of Panda" could someday choke off all but USA-specific keyword searches from .us sites.

OTOH a US-specific site developed around good keywords w/some original content and sufficient inbound links should do fine in SERPS despite a .us extension.

<meta charset="utf-8">Given the smaller carrying costs of .us vs other .tld's / cc's - I think there is a case to be made for buying and holding some .us domains as part of your overall portfolio strategy.

For now I am only purchasing .us sites I am willing to develop as I don't count on resell demand (although I think the market will eventually recognize their value as more .us sites are built out and throw off cash for their owners).

DISCLAIMER: (Thoughts of semi-crazy domainer on closed course; Your mileage may vary)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom