Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

So what do you drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldforce

Coldforce.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
SCHWEEEEEEEEEEEET! thanks for sharing!

Yes, you can import directly. But, they will have to be brought up to US specs on emissions, glass etc.

Years ago, (many moons ago) I could have made a living shuttling cars from Seattle to LA from an MB dealer in Seattle. Los Angeles was where the ONLY authorized facility on the west coast to do the conversions for diesel, window glass, headlights, etc. Many europeans come to the US (and asians) and bring their cars with them.

We got paid $500 per car plus all expenses (meals, hotels, etc.) EACH WAY!. If we made certain deadlines (someone was in a hurry) we usually got a bonus, typically another $500 - $1000 split between two of us.

So, two guys working together and shuttling cars back and forth would each make about 2 trips a week clearing between $2000-$3000 each week. This was in the early 80's and that was some damn good money to be made. We would drive straight through from Seattle to LA or LA back to Seattle rotating drivers and catnapping. My god, if I was not engaged at the time or had to return back to school I might still be out there.

Yes, we accepted bribes to bump someone's car further down the order of delivery and pocketed an extra 500 at each location. They had no idea some were already first on the return route and we didn't tell them.

So, in a good week I could pocket $5K-$6K between the fees, bonuses, and bribes. And, like I said, the dealers paid all expenses, meals, and hotels while we were en-route or at one delivery point. In Seattle, we lived at a posh hotel rent free because the other guy that was with me (my road mate) knew the owner. We delivered a 1956 Rolls Royce Limo to him and that is how we got hooked up with the owner of the hotel who then hooked us up with the Mercedes dealership in Seattle. The dealership in LA or Seattle supplied us with a rental vehicle while we were in town so we never had that expense.

My goodness, those were the days and fond memories of some great road trips and partying in Seattle, LA, and San Diego.

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

Had to be sealed headbeams (what ever that means), proper catalytic converters (even on non-diesel), and shatterproof glass on all the windows.

exxe

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
See...you live and learn something new every day exxe! :D
It's better to learn than the opposite.

Is VW still making and selling the Phaeton in EU?

Wow, that was such a wonderfully built and finish auto.

But here in the states, people weren't ready to shell out 70-80K for a VW.

I understand in some places these are used as limos.
Yes, Phaeton can be bought on my side. It's a nice car, but it's not selling well.

zip

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm going to pick up a 2010 Mercedes E-class 220 CDI (diesel) in Germany in May. It will replace my (t)rusty 2003 E-Class. I'm really, really looking forward to it! The 220 doesn't have the biggest engine of them all, but the 250 and 350 are waaay too expensive for me. 170 horse-powers is more than enough for me. :)

How about adding Brabus or Kleemann chip to it? It would give you about 50 bhp more and will add couple of miles per gallon. What's more important, unlike ECU tuning, chipping is not voiding your mfg warranty. Check that out if you wish to up the power in your E220. Diesels are great for tuning.

Last edited:

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You are mixing it with something. Octavia is Jetta size. Passat is one size bigger. Superb is built on the Passat platform...

Passat: 4765 mm / 1820 mm / 1472 mm (length / width / height)
Octavia: 4569 mm / 1769 mm / 1462 mm (length / width / height)

you know you're getting old when you're discussing the size difference between passats and octavias lol
i can talk. i drive a mondeo (crap cars, as are most fords these days)

looking forward to getting a new volvo diesel estate in the summer (yes, i'm getting old too, lol)
although if i'm feeling daring i may go for the saab estate

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll take all of you on! ;)
Just absolutely SLAUGHTERED a Mercedes AMG today! ;)
The driver was nearly crying! :lol:

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you know you're getting old when you're discussing the size difference between passats and octavias lol
i can talk. i drive a mondeo (crap cars, as are most fords these days)

looking forward to getting a new volvo diesel estate in the summer (yes, i'm getting old too, lol)
although if i'm feeling daring i may go for the saab estate

The new 9.5? I checked it in Frankfurt, and to be honest not any German competitor has that good comfy "home" feeling when you sit in this new Saab.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
2010 C350 CDI Kleemann chipped.

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

How about adding Brabus or Kleemann chip to it? It would give you about 50 bhp more and will add couple of miles per gallon. What's more important, unlike ECU tuning, chipping is not voiding your mfg warranty. Check that out if you wish to up the power in your E220. Diesels are great for tuning.

I will. :) Actually I talked to a company here in Norway who's chipping the CDI engines for around $1k, so I will definitely go for that. It gives the E220 around 205-220 horse powers, which is a nice boost. :)

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I will. :) Actually I talked to a company here in Norway who's chipping the CDI engines for around $1k, so I will definitely go for that. It gives the E220 around 205-220 horse powers, which is a nice boost. :)

205-220 HP was alot 10 years ago, today it is rather normal, isn't it ?

btw, this is my prefered ride:

Moto%20Guzzi%20V11%20Sport%20Scura%2001.jpg

Last edited:

zip

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
205-220 HP was alot 10 years ago, today it is rather normal, isn't it ?

It is for petrol engines but diesels require a little tuning.

---------- Post added at 05:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 AM ----------

Probably the AMG was parked :p

Or the only AMG thing on that car was a badge.

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Probably the AMG was parked :p

ROFLMAO! :lol:...Seeing is believing bud:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSzz5RiIp30

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 AM ----------

It is for petrol engines but diesels require a little tuning.

---------- Post added at 05:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 AM ----------

Or the only AMG thing on that car was a badge.

Wow! and the comedians keep coming ;)

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I drive a hyundai

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom