Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Tagging High Risk DNF Members with a Red Flag - Please vote Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Tagging High Risk DNF Members with a Red Flag is going to help reduce fraud and scams on DNF. Our community is important to all of us and I expect something to be done about High Risk Members of this board.

If any member that receives a negative I trader rating should be flagged with a Red Flag.

If member is accused of selling stolen domains
If member is accused of selling domains with fake stats, etc,

the reason I'm mentioning this request is simple, in the past members that were involved in such acts were left to continue to browse and trade on DNF. Not sure what threads I'm referring too, but I'm 100% sure we had this discussion several times about DNF members not being banned or banned for their negative actions.

A tiny Red Flag Icon can protect our well respected DNF Community from scammers and @HOLES!

If your with me, please vote now - YES or NO to tag High Risk DNF members!

For example, if this member is not banned for ever, then he should be tagged with a RED FLAG
http://www.dnforum.com/f557/beware-user-jeffkang-thread-398287.html

Upvote 0

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The red flagging system can easily be abused. One person doesn't like how a deal worked out and they red flag them (trust me - we see people demanding members get banned for very childish reasons). They then get their friends to add to the red flag and it's become a lynch mob - don't tell me we don't see this because we do. Don't even get me started on retalitory red-flagging.

Also, should I be red flagged if:

1) I buy a domain from person A and 3 months later I sell it to person B. A year or so down the road it turns out it was stolen by a few owners before person A. Should I be red flagged for that since I had a hand in the stolen domain and according to some people should have known it was stolen?

2) I have a domain at Parked with a few paragraphs of custom content on the bottom. It gets 50 hits a day and makes about $10 a month. I sell it base don those stats. The buyer doesn't have a Parked account so they park it with Sedo. At Sedo it gets 20-25 hits a day and no revenue. Should I be red flagged since their results are identical to mine?

3) I have a brandable domain (non-word). I sell it to someone else. 6 months later the new owner loses it though a WIPO to some start up in Indonesia. Should I be red flagged for scamming people w/ TM names?

4) I sell a developed site to someone. It turns out that it doesn't work well with the buyer's new host (compatibility etc..). I show that it works with my host. Should I be red flagged for selling non-working scripts to people?

5) Someone agrees to buy a domain from me. After they send the payments but before I push the domain I have a family emergency and am offline for a few days. Should I be red flagged for stealing their money and not sending the domain?

6) I sell an eBook to someone on how to register and park domains (I clearly explain what the book goes over with no guarantees on success etc..). The person reads the book but doesn't do well with parking. Should I be red flagged for selling an eBook full of false information?

7) Someone here agrees to make an offer on one of my domains though Sedo. I push the domain to auction. Should I be red flagged for demanding more money?

Just a little tidbit - since I've been a mod there has been at least one instance where the above supposed "victim" demands that the alleged "scammer" be banned instantly (as well as the occasional request for us to go to all the other domain forums and ban then there, too).

Also, say you accuse Johnn (just to pick a name of someone who wouldn't be offended) of something and red flag him. Enough people jump on the bandwagon and he gets banned. Done, right?

Wrong.

Say he didn't try to scam you but now his reputation is tarnished throughout the industry (since this is a big forum) and he cannot do any business now. He decides to pursue legal action because he's losing money. Who do you think is legally liable for this, you who initially flagged him or the forum who banned him? The forum is liable.

The same could be said with just the red flag if he can show that it affected his business.

This is why infractions are not visible to everyone.

The best thing people can do is research. Look at trader feedback, look at their history (and past threads), ask questions, and so on.

Domain Summit 2024

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The red flagging system can easily be abused. One person doesn't like how a deal worked out and they red flag them (trust me - we see people demanding members get banned for very childish reasons). They then get their friends to add to the red flag and it's become a lynch mob - don't tell me we don't see this because we do. Don't even get me started on retalitory red-flagging.

Agreed. I think the itrader function works.
There's been too much micro-management going on around here lately.
Common sense and due diligence go a long way...

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
red flags are not necessary

the problem is... if someone is scamming, posting fake stats or any type of fraudulent act, then they should be permanently banned when it is proven.

the forum must take a hard stance in exercising that right, as a course of action...
if they want to protect the community and provide a real deterence to that type of behaivour.

if you know of people who are performing or engaged in such acts and don't report it, then you are assisting that person to carry out their plans.

imo...

gingeman

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I disagree with the red flag for all aforementioned reasons.

However, this forum is waaaaaayy too tolerant towards bad members.

I regularly see members who have been banned with good reason allowed to return, then banned, then return etc... a few of them change their usernames repeatedly to distract from this.....

Anybody thinking a 30 day sin-bin is a worthwhile deterrent is high.

Any member proven to be involved in

selling stolen names
fraudulent stats etc

should be banned, forever. Period.

The mods are too soft on repeat offenders and proven scumbags IMHO.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Edit: Perhaps if the itrader display next to the username was not a cumulative sum, as it is now, but rather displayed number of positive as well as number of negative right there. Just a thought.
Yes, on some forums the TR also indicates percentage.
For example you can immediately see the member has 40 TR but score < 100% - that means at least one negative rating was left.

I regularly see members who have been banned with good reason allowed to return, then banned, then return etc... a few of them change their usernames repeatedly to distract from this.....
Let me guess... like the OP :eek:k:

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I disagree strongly. This would give people an instrument to fight their own personal wars because of nothing. Member A gives member B a red flag, with or without the help of his friends. Member B takes revenge and makes sure, with or without the help of his friends, that member A is also tagged with a red flag. What should happen now? Who is to be banned? Who is to judge?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
An alert system does nothing to deter from that first flag. Whether it is their very first or one thousanth transaction.

If people have infractions and the other member is too lazy to look at the feedback rating, then they have no room to ***** or complain that they did not see it.

All of this points, flags, banners, is pointless and childish.

What next, sirens sound when you are getting ready to deal with someone?

He, that's another method that will be brought up later because someone missed the red flag.

Then the person who has sound turned off (like me) will not hear it.

It will never stop, never be enough, and always leave the door open to new methods and more restrictions.

So why start.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jerk get a life. You people disgust me, everytime with bashing members when they are trying to do something for the community.

ok im down with this new system. first person we'll be tagging is you... right xTopSecretx and 1,000,000 other aliases.

heh remember the thread on namepros this guy posted... OMG I SOLD RANDOMMOBI.COM FOR $25,000... what an attention whore.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think youre a thief and am issuing a red flag :argue: No please not the red flag I could never recover and keep scamming

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ok im down with this new system. first person we'll be tagging is you... right xTopSecretx and 1,000,000 other aliases.

heh remember the thread on namepros this guy posted... OMG I SOLD RANDOMMOBI.COM FOR $25,000... what an attention whore.

It's funny how you always come out of the DARK as soon as i post a thread and reffer to my rookie mistakes that was clearly explained over a dozen times about a jerk like you who fooled me in thinking that I had sold a reg fee domain for $25K US and even went as far as creating an escrow transaction for $25K only to leave me hanging. As I have mentioned in the past, you are a MEAN and CRUEL HUMAN. Calling me a WHORE is your style, you make me sick. I live in Toronto, if you ever want to meet face to face. Go ahead and schedule the date and time. Will see who the whore is.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Hey, it's, uh, it's Tiger."

"Wanna buy a used Escalade?"

"Low miles, a little cosmetic damage."

Nomzo

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does vBulletin have an iTrader trend plugin? That would be helpful compared to existing trader where someone could have 100 positive feedbacks but the last 5 were negative. I only glance at the number unless the member is new.

Also, greater transparency would be helpful. Perhaps there should be a designated forum for resolving member's concerns before entering in to a deal. Some members are excellent at spotting potential scams and scammers. This could be one step below legal forum where posts could be edited and deleted if the concerns are unfounded.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's funny how you always come out of the DARK as soon as i post a thread and reffer to my rookie mistakes that was clearly explained over a dozen times about a jerk like you who fooled me in thinking that I had sold a reg fee domain for $25K US and even went as far as creating an escrow transaction for $25K only to leave me hanging. As I have mentioned in the past, you are a MEAN and CRUEL HUMAN. Calling me a WHORE is your style, you make me sick. I live in Toronto, if you ever want to meet face to face. Go ahead and schedule the date and time. Will see who the whore is.

I'm confused -- so there will be NO red flags if one makes a "rookie mistake"? Who decides whether the "rookie" clause applies?

Since you're advocating a red flag based on only accusations, doesn't this apply to you as well, since you have now been accused?

Do people who "call out" others and demand angry "face to face" encounters also get a red flag? Or is that also a "rookie mistake"?

How many red flags before the account is banned?

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm confused -- so there will be NO red flags if one makes a "rookie mistake"? Who decides whether the "rookie" clause applies?

Since you're advocating a red flag based on only accusations, doesn't this apply to you as well, since you have now been accused?

Do people who "call out" others and demand angry "face to face" encounters also get a red flag? Or is that also a "rookie mistake"?

How many red flags before the account is banned?

You and your RED NECK friends go get a life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom