Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

The Best Country For an American To Relocate To

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNP

Trust & Reliability
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've seen quite a few posts lately here and some other boards where americans start talking about emmigration and etc.

What is the best country to live in other than USA?

This country should:
  • Have a good climate.
  • Have a good access to quality medical care. That's very important for old domainers.
  • Have good access to shopping. That's pretty important for married domainers.
  • Have a stable currency and good banking system.
  • Have a stable government. Not too fascist, not too anarchistic or religious.
  • Have reasonable real estate prices.
  • Have reasonable prices for goods. Basic goods are very expensive in some countries due to transportation costs, and very expensive in other countries due to crippling tarrifs.

What do you think? What other criteria should we be considering? What countries should we be considering?

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Vancouver is not a country but it's got all that except:
"Have reasonable real estate prices."

There is a reason this city is always ranked first or second on the most desirable place to live/work index. And many of the biggest domainers are already here, you'd fit right in.

socalboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ahh, someone's been reading my posts:smilewinkgrin:

Having actually thought about this and done some research, I would add these criteria:

• A good education system
  • One or more cosmopolitan cities
  • Reasonable taxes
  • Thriving cultural institutions

After that, I think it becomes more subject to personal taste. Also, it's important to consider that many developed countries have very restrictive immigration policies (the US not being one of them).

I personally like the idea of Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Britain, or Switzerland.

DNP

Trust & Reliability
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Vancouver is not a country but it's got all that except:
"Have reasonable real estate prices."

Great city, no doubts! But from November until March, it is not uncommon to have 20-30 consecutive days with some amount of rain. Vancouver, BC could be considered the world's capital of rain, despite having some snow during special periods, receiving as much as 40 mm at one time. Almost every day in the winter the Greater Vancouver Area is pummeled by rain. There are some better places with better climate, I believe.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I personally like the idea of Australia, Canada, Britain, or Switzerland.

Australia: too far from the rest of the world. Ozone layer hole expanding rapidly (forget it if you're fair-skinned).

Canada: The Canadian dollar is matching the US dollar as of this past week. Some areas too cold for the average Southerner.

Britain: Crazy real estate prices, weather is gloomy, rising crime.

Switzerland: Very tight immigration. Racist society. OK if you're blond(e), into skiing, with lots of money and have a grandfather that served in the Schutzstaffel :D

socalboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Re Vancouver:

Again, that boils down to personal taste. Since I don't mind the cold or the rain, if I lived in Canada it would either be in Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal (I went to school in France and speak French).

Hey Acroplex, I added New Zealand, let's see you take that one apart:D

Ubiquitous

Since 1997
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How about instead of picking a place that already exists we pool our money and purchase an island, form our own society/government, and become a superpower... Yes, the idea is a little out there, although it is realistic and very possible. We could become the first nation to exclusively import/export intellectual property (meaning domain names) ...

What do you think? are you in? ... let me know and I'll get my peoples on the phone asap.

;-)

socalboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How about instead of picking a place that already exists we pool our money and purchase an island, form our own society/government, and become a superpower... Yes, the idea is a little out there, although it is realistic and very possible. We could become the first nation to exclusively import/export intellectual property (meaning domain names) ...

As long as it has internet access....

typist

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Canada: The Canadian dollar is matching the US dollar as of this past week. Some areas too cold for the average Southerner.

on the plus side: small islands off Newfoundland can be bought for little money - and from there the Azores are within reach, even with a small plane, if it gets too cold (only 1200mi / 1925 km) :)

Britain: Crazy real estate prices, weather is gloomy, rising crime.

...not to mention near inedible Brit food - but the situation is improving thanks to immigration

Switzerland: Very tight immigration. Racist society.

Switzerland is relatively heterogenous, in a European context. You can have a comfortable life without socializing with the Swiss if you think they're a problem. Imho they're more weird than racist. ...and immigration is never a problem if you've got money ;)

Any opinions on Malta, Cyprus, the Bahamas and Malaysia?

Makis77

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
plz dont come to Greece :smilewinkgrin:

socalboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Any opinions on Malta, Cyprus, the Bahamas and Malaysia?

Malta: too isolated.
Cyprus: Greek/Turk tensions.
Bahamas: Possible megatsunami coming without warning from Canary Islands eruption.
Malaysia: why live in Malaysia if you could live in Singapore?

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I think you guys are missing some criteria,

1) - Attractive Women
2) - Gambling
3) - Places of Interest
4) - Entertainment
5) - Low Crime rates
6) - And most importantly "Freedom"

Singapore and Malaysia come to mind, having lived there for 3 years :yes:

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mexico

typist

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Singapore and Malaysia come to mind

I like Southeast Asia in general, and I agree, both S'pore and Malaysia are at the top of my list.

Where in S'pore / Malaysia did you live, Raider? :)

socalboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And most importantly "Freedom"

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose

One of my favorite songs, Me and Bobby McGee, by Janis Joplin, God rest her soul in peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom