Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

This has to be a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm probably not the most active following the forum changes around here, but this made want to post here. I only know that Adam promised long time ago to Kate and other Exclusive members, that the very annoying affiliate ads on specific keywords (sedo, godaddy etc) will be removed for us (and it's still there). After all, 99% of the Exclusive members already use these services for the past many years.

Now, I was just about to post to fellow members that I would like to purchase some advertising spots (links, banners) on some relevant sites to mine. Then the shock, DNF asks me to pay $40 for this. I mean. Seriously? I have to pay $40 for Adam just to spice up some business life at DNF? This is in my view "overmonetization", something that a website owner should be very well aware of. For me DNF has crossed the line with this. There is nothing else that I hate more than greediness. This forum has plenty of source of income. There is absolutely no need to milk the users who have paid for exclusive membership.

Domain Summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

not ignoring your grievance, but you can always put that "advertisement" in your signature

Good Luck!

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's not really the same Biggedon, but thanks for the tip.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
And you can also share your points of view, blog and professional and hard-worked on content by providing a link to it. Oh wait, that's considered "advertising" and biggie might delete it :p

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And you can also share your points of view, blog and professional and hard-worked on content by providing a link to it. Oh wait, that's considered "advertising" and biggie might delete it :p

yeah, you're a visible guy, and folks will do the same if they see you doing it.

:)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I seem to recall this issue being raised already. I can't remember the thread though :?:

is this another way of saying he is fat? :)

I have not raised the issue - yet - but stay tuned. ;)

I'm 6ft 2" and 200lbs.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
is this another way of saying he is fat? :)

well, he does have his "own" section on dnf, to go along with a TR above 400

so, you could say he's phat

:)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I agree that a lot of people don't like what Adam decided to do. Perhaps, if that happened a few years ago I'd be upset too. At this point, it's more important to use the forum in order to interact with people and conduct potential business, that to simply place an 'ad'.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the very annoying affiliate ads on specific keywords (sedo, godaddy etc) will be removed for us (and it's still there). After all, 99% of the Exclusive members already use these services for the past many years.
Ironically, your very post has been stuffed with not one but two forum-rewritten affiliate links (Se.do & Go.daddy), which I agree is a pet peeve to registered members :D

There is absolutely no need to milk the users who have paid for exclusive membership.
It's spilt milk.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Last time I checked the signature was not backdated and only showed on new posts, which makes the exposure limited to say the least.

No, it updates on all your posts.

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, it updates on all your posts.

Yes, it does.

To address the OP's opinion, it's not for a stream of revenue, as Adam made clear when the fee was first put into place. Rather, it's to discourage "junk" advertisements from flooding the board.

When it first became effective, I had thought that the right way to do it would be to require a donation to a charity, perhaps one of a selection to be chosen by the starter of an advertising thread.

This way, the advertiser is out the money (thus discouraging them from posting junk), and it is going to a good cause, so that one can feel good about giving their money up.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, it does.

To address the OP's opinion, it's not for a stream of revenue, as Adam made clear when the fee was first put into place. Rather, it's to discourage "junk" advertisements from flooding the board.

When it first became effective, I had thought that the right way to do it would be to require a donation to a charity, perhaps one of a selection to be chosen by the starter of an advertising thread.

This way, the advertiser is out the money (thus discouraging them from posting junk), and it is going to a good cause, so that one can feel good about giving their money up.

I don't really understand the logic though of trying to get rid of the junk. If its rubbish domains being listed or services being provided what difference does it make? You should be giving what the user wants. If they would be interested in the products/services being advertised it's adding to the forum experience certainly moreso than the junk domains that are posted on a daily basis.

If you dissallow duplicate threads it gets rid of a lot of the same stuff being posted and I certainly wouldn't call listing articles for sale or other related services that would help with domain development "junk" by any stretch of the imagination. Any domainers that have a clue about development would certainly agree.

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One man's junk is another man's treasure - I've found many good services browsing through the daily "junk" here at DNF. One of these guys that I work with since I found him here has actually left DNF, as he cannot make business anymore.

I see plenty of offers by Adam, I was not interested in any of them, yet they are not junk.

One of the most important things though. If you value DNF as a web property, then each of the Exclusive members are worth a very decent sum, without them the whole forum would collapse. This is the very reason why especially Exclusives should be respected. Even if other members cannot have the "privilege" (khm...) to post an offer / request we should be.

Other important note is that we did not pay for membership so that years later we would get all kinds of new ads in our face and would not be able to post a stupid business request, as it costs a whopping $40.

I'm dealing with the balance issue myself on a daily base. What is too much, what is still okay. I have to refuse business opportunities all the time, even if I know they could potentially add 30-40% more to the income of a specific site, simply because I don't want to piss off my loyal visitors. There are plenty of similar sites to mine, and there are plenty of similar sites to DNF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom