Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

This sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToBad

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whay are we dnforum.com turning our sig to hyperlink that goes to
google? Word like domain, web, hosting in our sig starting to be liked to google.

After paying for membership on this forum is not that funny to sending my
posts reader to google.

Or is it only me that see this. I may have some nasty virus on my computer.

Upvote 0

cogeek

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't have this problem either

Domain Summit 2024

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
FLe8 said:
You rock! Just for that tip, I'm donating some $F your way.

Ditto.

Thanks Radistar.

I find (found) the highlighted words in posts distracting.

Ads can be ignored fairly easily, but words in different colours affect ease of reading of the posts.

Nodnarb

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Two things about this...

#1 - If it works, I want the code for any forums that I set up now or in the future! :)

#2 - They are text links, but if you drag over the link you get an adwords-style box that hovers over your pointer.

Rad's Hosts file "fix" works - so I no longer have a complaint! But if it works for DCG - I want to be able to maximize my forums too!

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
pages load much slower and freeze until the applet is loaded ... i don't like it

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From what I see they don't really freeze up but seem to stutter and look jittery a bit before fully loading the page.

Perhaps a partial solution would be to make the page smaller with say 1/2 the posts displayed per page.

This technology has fabulous potential to make money for others too. Plus, do not forget DCG runs this site to make money and not as a charitable organization.

Surprising Google does not also offer this as OV could take over more of the market by offering it.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
FYI,

Th trial is not going well, so you shouldnt have to put up with the ads much longer.

-=DCG=-

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
FYI,

Th trial is not going well, so you shouldnt have to put up with the ads much longer.

-=DCG=-

Not at all surprised as it seem like a forum is not a good venue for it what with so many experienced users being FAR less likely to click on the hyperlinks. Plus forums have very low CTR's anyway from what I have heard, right?

The technology would seem to work best with 'regular' websites rather than forums or domain orientated sites. Would love to try it on my websites but imagine OV required high traffic to signup, does anyone know what the requirements are?

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
RealNames said:
Not at all surprised as it seem like a forum is not a good venue for it what with so many experienced users being FAR less likely to click on the hyperlinks. Plus forums have very low CTR's anyway from what I have heard, right?

The technology would seem to work best with 'regular' websites rather than forums or domain orientated sites. Would love to try it on my websites but imagine OV required high traffic to signup, does anyone know what the requirements are?
I don't think it would work well long term, but I am suprised it isn't doing well this week. I figure everyone will click once to see what these new links are, but then that's it.

- Jordan

P.S. RealNames, congrats on your 2000th post :)

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameTower said:
P.S. RealNames, congrats on your 2000th post :)

Thanks! I have really learned a lot from this forum and want to thank all past and present owners, mods and members. Wish it was around in 1999 when I first started reg'ing domains big time. If it was there at that time would have learned so much more so much earlier on, and avoided many errors, had more good names and be more advanced due to all the great knowledge. Had no idea even what a typein was before I came to the forums.

stevey

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it makes my movie stutter while watching dvd when loading pages (same pc different monitors)

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With "enhancements" like this, gee, who needs spyware?

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Impression-based advertising works ... I'm speaking of banner ads, text ads, etc...

Too many websites / advertisers worry about click-throughs ... but many big advertisers understand click-throughs are only part of the equation, especially when this is explained to them properly.

Most visitors are not in the mood to buy at the exact moment they see an ad - so it's important for advertisers to get exposure and build their brand ... that way when people are ready to buy, they know where to buy.

Two suggestions for DNF:

1. Sell most ads in larger impression blocks, and guarantee only the ad run time with the impression count only as an approximate estimate.

Example: offer a full banner product that rotates throughout the entire site for one month for say $500; adjust the number of banners / display frequency so that all banners sold at say $500/month are shown say approx 300,000 times per month.

1a. it's easier to sell large blocks of advertising like $500/300,000 approx impressions than smaller ones like $2/1000, etc; more profitable too since managing many smaller advertisers tend to cost more money (speaking of customer service staff, etc) than managing a smaller group of larger advertisers. With that said, offering a few lower priced ad products is good for getting new advertisers in, but should be of limited importance for the bottom line.

2. Put text links under all banner ads.

2a. serve banners graphics from the same domain name as each site when possible - speeds things up and more importantly is a bit more difficult to block with hosts.txt etc; yes, the ad graphics can still be easily blocked with many ad blockers, but the text underneath likely won't be, thus my suggestion in #2 above to add those.

Lastly, the advantage of selling advertising by flat-rate/impression is that nothing goes to waste ... regardless of whether an ad gets a lot or little clicks, every ad shown is earning the site money, predictably without guesswork nor worrying about session tracking, click-spam, etc.

Ron

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Thanks for the $DNF - you didn't really have to :-D
All I did was Google it, once I had the application name. Don't you just love Google?

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think that a paid membership forum should not have ads. The free membership (Bronze?) section could have ads (banners, links in threads), but the Plats and Exclusives should not have to deal with them. It's like double-dipping a chip into the dip...bad taste.

Just my two cents...

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First, regular banners and text ads (not talking about the vibrant media nonsense) are not a distraction nor a problem - at least not for me anyways.

Secondly, ads in member areas makes economic sense - paid members are more likely to buy ... and my experiences running sites with ads in member areas tends to support this assertion.

With all that said, I understand TopNames.com's sentiments, especially since the recent addition of the vibrant spyware-like ads; soon to be removed according to some DNForum admins.

Ron

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So, let's sum this up:

1. It is adware/ spyware or so similar in nature that it can be considered the same
2. It sucks and users hate it
3. It doesn't convert/ produce profits for Adam
4. It is distracting
5. It detracts from the user's experience
6. Users already pay to be members of this forum, and this feels like an unfair burden on top of those fees
7. At least one non-Microsoft browser automatically blocks it
8. You can fool around with your Windows system files and manually block it if you are brave

111media

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, I hate the fact that my ads to sell domains and other products are being hijacked by this advertisement. I am going back and editing out any keywords just to get rid of it in my posts.

Anyway, I understand we all want to get paid, but this is NOT the way.

Anthony

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can we have an update on the status of this advertising program? It is very distracting. Thanks!

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am feeling a bit left out here. I suppose Mozilla doesn't show them :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom