Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

value of controversial world politics domains ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charbz

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello, I came across a bunch of domain names related to the current ongoing war in Syria that are available , and Id like to know if there is any value in them...

for those who do not know, the syrian president bashar al assad has been asked to step down , but is still supported by some, and this dragged the country into a civil war..

I am new to the world of domaining, and want to know if there is any value in domains like these :

bashar2014.com ( in reference to the upcoming 2014 election )
bashar2014.org
voteforbashar.com
stepdownbashar.com

im surprised that these domain names are still available ? do you think they dont have much value ? or are they a hidden gold-mine ?

Domain Summit 2024

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not surprised these names are available, because they are only good if developed for campaign purposes. They have no commercial use. How would you monetize them ?
You can register them, but do not expect that somebody will knock on your door to buy them. After all they could be had for $10 yet nobody would register them.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am new to the world of domaining, and want to know if there is any value in domains like these :

im surprised that these domain names are still available ? do you think they dont have much value ? or are they a hidden gold-mine ?

Hi

being a newbie, doesn't mean be that "new"

in other words.....

IF and that's and intentional big IF, those domains had value in the eye of another,

then what?

somebody else who reads/read this thread like me, could have went and registered them.

then....you'd be out.

so, now you're probably saying to yourself

"well how can I know if a name has value, if I don't ask?"

keep reading, the sales threads, domains wanted threads, general discussion, appraisal threads, etc.

but don't make this same mistake again.

:)

Good Luck!

imo....

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ditto on both of the above responses.

There is another point worth making, which you have illustrated quite nicely. That is the flawed thinking that you may have stumbled upon a "hidden goldmine".

Newbies seem to experience that feeling much, much more than people with experience. Why do you think that is?

Experience is a harsh teacher. People without it often approach the domain market as something with hungry customers, waving their money around looking for that special domain which they just happen to have "discovered"

Nothing could be further from the truth.

There are two ways to make money with domains... either have spectacular domains that sell themselves or have decent domains but a spectacular marketing process. Most people have neither. A third way, of course, would be actual monetization. But I don't think that is what we are talking about here, so I'll leave that out.

To put it bluntly, the domains you highlighted have no value for any number of good reasons. Here are a few off the top of my head...

1) Bashar Assad is just as likely to be dead, exiled or imprisoned than face an election in the next year. In fact, he has never needed to win an election in his life. The whole point of a campaign website for him is moot.
2) Even if #1 was not the case, and he did feel some need to build a campaign site, why would he need any of those domains? As opposed to, say, basharassad.com, or whatever the Syrian equivalent of that would be?
3) Even if #1 and #2 were not the case, how many different ways are there for a politician (or ruthless dictator, as the case may be) to get their message out over the web? Why would anyone be looking to domain speculators vs. finding something instant and attainable that will meet their needs?
4) Even if #1, #2 and #3 were not the case, what resources do you have to market political domains to Syria? Do you have the first idea about how to do that? Chances are good that they will not be coming to you.
5) Even if #1, #2, #3 and #4 were not the case, do you think they would come and negotiate with you in good faith, or would they come in and threaten you with litigation?

Those are just some of the questions that immediately come to mind about those domains. There are a lot of good reasons to not pull this trigger, and the only reason to do it is that, maybe, there is someone "out there" who just might be interested in buying them somewhere down the road. (can't be too far though, because any value they might have expires soon)

If you go down this path, you'll find all sorts of hypothetical value in far too many domains that you'll never unload.

Instead, maybe think about the niches that you can bring real value to, that you understand intimately. Start experimenting with some limited purchases, and start working on your marketing strategy. Maybe keep it local (i.e Toronto business geodomains) or keep it niche-specific (i.e. dental equipment). Whatever it is, figure out your market and specialize. Focus on reaching the right people with the right message in that niche, and use your successes to fund better investments.

One last note... if you are going to play with controversial domains, be prepared for people to hate you for it. If that is the game you want to play, so be it. But there is rarely good opportunity to be had in such negativity. Better to focus on domains that will help people achieve their goals. that is where you will find opportunity.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Also available:

BasharIsABadGuy.com
HeyBasharIHateU.com
BasharSyriaKiller.com

etc.

charbz

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the elaborate response, I think I learned a fair share of stuff just by reading this ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom