Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

developed WebBattleship dot com - $275+/month, 300,000+ hits/month, PR5

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnreg

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
SOLD!!!!!

This Thread in Brief:

ALL DATA IS AS OF THIS POSTING. SOME STATS HAVE CHANGED. PLEASE SEE THE REST OF THE THREAD.

Alexa ~260,000
300,000 pageloads/month (200k+ unique)
$8.75/day average revenue
BIN: $3,000 (reduced)
Offers: $xxxx+

Introduction to Me
I'm thinking of selling a website of mine, web battleship dot com (TinyURL redirect link). (I'd rather this page not be indexed with the domain intact, hence the expansion of the name -- sorry for any inconvenience). I graduated from college a few months ago and need money to help me with the debt that'll be coming due soon. I've sold one of my other web sites (gimpshop dot com) recently on here, and I'm looking to sell this one as well. I don't like to keep debt of any kind, but don't have the cash to pay off all of my loans just yet. The sell of these sites will help that out, I hope. :)

That said, I'm not in dire need of making money, so if I don't receive offers that I think are fair/reasonable then I'll just keep it and use the extra monthly income as supplemental to my new job, while just paying the loans off more slowly.

I've sold a few big-money domains in the past, and can provide reputation references outside or inside of dnforum if you'd like (namepros, eBay, hardforum). I'm an honest seller and I don't like to misrepresent any of the information. I'd rather you be happy with the sale and perhaps come back the next time I have a big name domain to sell. :)

The Site
I purchased the domain in December 2007 and built a little web site on it. It's in roughly the same shape now as it was then, though it now has ads on it (whereas originally it didn't). It has no previous owners; I bought the domain and developed it myself. It's seen popularity growth that I really didn't expect, but am quite thankful of.

The website is basically a page on which people can play battleship for free. The script is a freely distributable and available script which runs battleship. You can check it out yourself. Repeat visitors is fair (roughly 9%).

When you search for various phrases on google, the site consistently ranks highly. It has continually gone up from not being listed at all to being on the first page of lots of keyword searches now.

As of the time of this posting, the following are search phrases which bring visitors to the site, and the rank on google that this site is listed:

battleship online - #6
online battleship - #5
play battleship online - #8
battleship online free - #10
webbattleship - #1
web battleship - #3
play battleship - #8
free battleship - #16

The entire page is about 30k, so bandwidth costs are very low. With the amount of hits it gets (about 300,000/month) it still only uses a couple gigs of bandwidth.

The site has gotten just over 300,000 pageloads in the last 30 days, a little over 203,000 of those are unique visitors.

Alexa ranking is 263,752.

Pictures of stats here:

http://i26.tinypic.com/vq1x8w.jpgp
http://i29.tinypic.com/156wtuv.jpg

About 35% of the traffic has "no referral link," about 30% of it is from search engines (mainly google), and the rest are links from other sites on the Net, including stumbleupon, where it is ranked very highly.

Current Revenue Information
I'm currently using google adsense and Amazon affiliate links to make money on the site.

The way I have the site set up, there are two google ads at the top and bottom of the game (sort of framing it), and above those there are two side-by-side links to Amazon where people can buy real-life battleship games. If they purchase *anything* in the next 24 hours after clicking the link, I get between 4% and 6% of the cost of the item, so it's actually been reasonably profitable.

Total revenue for the previous 30 days on Google Adsense is $243.33, with an average of $7.60/day. Amazon has made me a total of $94.08 from Feb 1 to Apr 12, so about $40/month. This adds a little over a dollar to the average income per day of the site, making the total average income of the site $8.75/day as of now.

Pictures of Google stats:

http://i31.tinypic.com/2nbc6xv.jpg
http://i31.tinypic.com/21kdxg7.jpg

Pictures of Amazon stats:

http://i32.tinypic.com/2s0lq2b.jpg
http://i30.tinypic.com/w6um93.jpg

Future Revenue Potential

One could potentially re-design the site and make more money, probably, though monetizing traffic has never been my specialty.

It may also be worthwhile to get some real advertisers on there who pay for ad-space (not just adsense, etc., but folks who'll pay for their banners to be on there since the site is high-traffic). This could easily bring in another $200-300/month at the current ad prices I'm seeing on the webmaster forums. If I don't sell the site, I'll be doing this for sure.

That said, somewhat easy future revenue potential is about $400-500/month.

Price

I'm looking for offers on purchasing the site, not leasing or other interesting ways of doing deals. Please send offers in the $xxxx+ range.

BIN is NOW $3000 (reduced)

Any and all questions will be answered as well as I can. I've got a fair amount of info on the site that I can give you; just ask for it and you've got it.

Please make offers via PM or by emailing me at [email protected].

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Domain Summit 2024

dnreg

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Two offers received, one in the $xxxx level and one at $900. The $xxxx level backed out unfortunately, so $900 is the high offer right now.

I'm looking to get more from this, but the highest offer in the next 48 hours gets it. BIN slashed down to $5000.

Anomander

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
it's not pr5 as advertised?

dnreg

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
it's not pr5 as advertised?

When I posted it I had gone to http://pr.blogflux.com/index2.php and checked, it said PR5... not sure why that occurred if it's not accurate. Thank you, nonetheless, for pointing it out.

PS - thread edited and PR reference removed (except from title, can't change it)

Last edited:

andre

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i'll take it for $1000 if you accept my bin. I am paypal verified and instant payment

NorthTexas

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why has traffic started to tail off?

About 30 days ago page impressions were xx,xxx and now they are mid x,xxx.

Can you explain?

dnreg

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why has traffic started to tail off?

About 30 days ago page impressions were xx,xxx and now they are mid x,xxx.

Can you explain?

Yeah, there was a very big hit from stumbleupon which provided a quick bunch of hits for a while. Now that the site is out there and known about, it's getting referrals from a lot of other sites other than stumbleupon, and stumbleupon has slowed.

$1000 offer received and $1500 offer received.

Last edited:

Abbadox

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Please answer the following questions:

1. Is the site still for sale?.

2. What is the current high bid

3. What is the game written in?

dnreg

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Abbadox,

Current high offer is $1500, it is still for sale, I'll copy this into a PM for you.

The site made $16.33 yesterday on Amazon. Because of the nature of the Amazon links and cookies, someone who visited my site, clicked through, then later in the day spent $400 on keyboards (haha) I made over $16.00. Proof:

http://i29.tinypic.com/2sbop6a.jpg

Still accepting offers. Just to be up-front since I've had to cancel some offers recently, if you make an offer, you HAVE to be ok with using escrow.com or a similar service, as I don't do anything over $500 through Paypal. Sorry for any inconvenience.

fathead123

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
is this bad boy still for sale? if so is the high bid still $1500? what is the PR now?

dnreg

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
sorry for brevity, posting from cell phone.

yep, still available, and yep, 1500 is current highest offer, though i havent heard from the person in a long time. feel free to make your own offer. :)

dnreg

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
it ends right now if you are ok with using escrow.com :)

data_connect

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is this auction now finished or is it still open for bids.

dnreg

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Highest current offer is $1600. It'll go to that person if he/she responds to my acceptance PM with a confirmation. Otherwise, I'll post back here and say it's still available.

EDIT: Still available!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom