Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

What Are the 5 Things You Can't Live Without—Even During the Recession?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNP

Trust & Reliability
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They don't call it a global recession for nothing: There's not a person around who hasn't cut back on spending. But no matter how frugal you've become, you know there are some things you can't give up. Here are our top five. Does our list match up with yours?

Your Mental and Physical Well-Being
Inevitably, 2008’s battle cry of “Yes, We Can!” has faded into “But How and When?” Giddy enthusiasm has become disgruntled apprehension as the financial crisis drags on. It’s hard to stay positive in such an atmosphere, but you can beat “recession depression” if you’re willing to invest time, energy and maybe a little bit of money. For example, don’t rush to cut gym membership out of your budget, if you can still afford it. Exercise improves self-esteem, provides mood-lifting endorphins and can prevent illness or other health problems.

If you’re truly depressed, seeing a therapist is going to benefit you more in the long term than saving cash now. On the off chance we don’t fix this whole mess by next week, get the help and support you need to weather the storm and put your best foot forward.

Health Insurance
One major way to maintain well-being is by purchasing health insurance. It might seem utterly ridiculous when you’re well. You haven’t had a cold since last year, why put money down the drain every month? However, whether you’re perfectly healthy or have specific medical concerns, choosing the plan with the cheapest premium is rarely prudent. The New York Times explains the difference between H.M.O.s (health maintenance organizations), P.P.O.s (preferred provider organizations) and H.D.H.P. (high-deductible health plan). Learn about the pros and cons of each, and determine which plan suits you best.

Talk to doctors about the insurance they accept. List services you’ll need so you can determine how a particular plan will provide for them. Then, you can effectively compare the total cost of each plan that is available to you. Consult the findingDulcinea Health Web Guide to discover what is available, how to research value, and what questions to ask to help you make the most-informed decision.

Organic Food
The organic food hype has come and gone, and for many environmentalists, eating local is seen as a greener choice than eating organic. Now that money is tight for many, it may seem silly to keep buying organic; organic products can sometimes be double the price of regular products. But at the end of the day, pesticides are still bad for you. The Discovery Channel’s Planet Green names seven foods you should buy organic if at all possible. The list includes fruits like peaches, strawberries and bananas, as well as basics like rice and milk, which can be pesticide-heavy when they’re commercially produced.

Dressing for the Job You Want
If you’ve been laid off, it may seem like a great opportunity to live your dream of spending the day in your favorite pajamas. Even if you’re working, the mood at the office might feel too somber for you to take care with your appearance. But if you do have money to spend, now is actually the perfect time to purchase clothing items that would otherwise have been out of your budget, because they’re all going on sale. A classy wardrobe will help you make the right impression with current or prospective employers.

The time is also right to purchase pricey but long-lasting items. Lots of luxury stores are having staggering sales. In an interview with Forbes magazine, a senior vice-president at Bergdorf Goodman suggested stocking up on “well-made quality basics.” In other words, now’s the time to invest in that Chanel suit you’ll be wearing for the next 20 years.

Your Connection to the World
Experts predicted that the recession would throw a wrench into the booming smartphone market, but it turns out that most people consider it essential to stay connected 24/7. The LA Times Technology blog noted that not only has interest in the mobile Web persisted, there’s a substantial increase in the number of people using smartphones to connect to social networking sites. The consensus is that if you’re job hunting in the 21st century, it behooves to you to have uninterrupted access to networking opportunities. Rather than constantly tying you to work, it actually frees you to go about your day without missing anything important, like a job posting, a networking panel or Facebook pictures of your sister’s new dog.

Domain Summit 2024

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
organic food - Yes, grow your own. Got a yard? Then you have garden space.

Vehicle - essential for at least one of us to go back and forth to work. Wife working days and me nights we could theoretically get by with one vehicle.

Health Insurance - a must as we age.

Dogs
- okay, you mentioned therapist. I mention dogs. Same thing. My dogs are my therapy. Yes they eat a lot. But I could make their food from scraps and from local farmers with livestock.

Phone
- My and my wife's Helio Ocean's could serve as our phone, television, and internet connection if need be. We could easily give up the land lines.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
coffee at 7 am
computer
intenet
VISA card (for renewing domains!)
fruit juice at 11 am

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Motivation
Affection
Inspiration
Creativity
Communication

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol,

my rockstar energy drink...

KaneCo

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have not really noticed the recession yet, my wife's business and mine have increased so its effecting some sectors but not ours, which means people can't live without:

cell phones
internet
dance classes
shopping on the internet
video games

Arrogance

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Broadband
Insurance (Various)
AMEX
Vehicle
PS3

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Motivation
Affection
Inspiration
Creativity
Communication

humble answer....

For me:

Internet
Church
Coffee
Family
Really couldn't live without food and water. :smilewinkgrin:

DNP

Trust & Reliability
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
humble answer....

For me:

Internet
Church
Coffee
Family
Really couldn't live without food and water. :smilewinkgrin:

I like the way how you put church and coffe before the family...

For me:

1. Family
2. Work
3. Sex
4. Beer
5. Internet

Rico

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
coffee
cigs
food
beer
sleep

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like the way how you put church and coffe before the family...

I also put internet in front of the family. But that list wasn't in order. No one specified an order. :smilewinkgrin:

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
INTERNET...FOR SURE!!! :eek:k:

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Family
Home
Dog
Internet
Wine

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the internet, coffee, and pot make the world go round.

everything else is optional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom