Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed What websites do you use for automatic appraisal? Which ones do you trust?

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pav

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have found a few which are quite good and show some additional info about domain.. what do you think of these?

How Much Is Your Site Worth? | URLAppraisal.net
Valuate.com - Free domain name appraisals
SwiftAppraisal.com | Free Domain Name Appraisals | Step One

Any other suggestions? What do you use & trust? Bulk valuers would be especially awesome to look at..

Also has anyone used this one:
Domain Appraisals for Single Domains & Portfolios | DomainAppraisal.org
They mention 100% money free guarantee if domain doesn't sell within 12% of appraisal value. Would be nice to hear your experience with this site or any others.

Thanks!

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Pav, leave the automatic appraisal sites well alone, they are not worth the electricity used to look up domain values. You are a member of the best domaining forum there is so why not make use of it, post domains on the appraisal section and if anyone has any input they will post 'their' valuation (and hopefully with some of the reasons why).

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The daily horoscope from my newspaper does pretty well for appraisals.

Reaction score
As has been said, automatic appraisals are pretty useless as every domain is different and has different potential buyers/uses etc. No serious buyer is going to pay heed to any valuations from third parties.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what's really interesting... people (newbs) flock to bot appraisal websites, yet none of those websites buy any domains.

only humans buy domains, so why not ask them for appraisals?

pav

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK! Thanks for your opinions, everyone!
There was also a second part to the post - has anyone used www.DomainAppraisal.org ? I understand it's a manual appraisal done by professionals and even endorsed by Marc Ostrofsky (seller of Business.com for $7.5Million).... so has anyone else used them? any good?

Also for some reason I didn't get much response from humans in the appraisal section of this forum... part of it I believe is that everybody has heaps of domains, but it's hard to find good buyers. Am I right?

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The estimation sites should be used as a tool. Valuations can vary wildly and their algorithms have all kinds of holes. There are too many factors they can't measure. Remember names (and we are talking about the proper noun "Name") are emotional decisions as much as they are practical. The estimate sites do provide a snapshot of useful data (Estibot.com anyway) that you can use to get a better understanding of the name you are evaluating. It is up to you and the market to determine the value of that data and the name itself.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Appraisals, either paid or automated are good for the ego only, but they can hurt your wallet.

An appraisal is an extrapolation of the amount you could fetch from an interested end user, but the odds of actually selling could be nil. Then it's like your domain is worth nothing if nobody wants it. Some domains are more liquid than others.

As for the names you posted, none jumps at me like a possible future sale.
Study the market, look at what sells and why.
Good luck.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As for the names you posted, none jumps at me like a possible future sale.
Study the market, look at what sells and why.
Good luck.

i agree with kat

it seems your issue and why you are stuck on bot appraising, is because you don't know how to use gkwt

you also need to learn proper english and slang, the way in which terms are used in every day language/conversations and sentences.

without that knowledge, you will search gkwt till the wee hours of the night, looking at backwards terms and invalid "s' added to words

google numbers mean nothing for words that don't make sense and when you reg them based on the number and then use da bot, it gives you false sense of gratification and hope.

search/read thru the domains wanted threads and domains for sale threads, look at people want and what is being sold.

imo...

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domain appraisal should be an educated guess not an automatic guess.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Q: What websites do you use for automatic appraisal?
A: None

Q:Which ones do you trust?
A: None

pav

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks again, everyone! I can agree on some points and disagree on others...

Firstly, one man's trash is another man's treasure.. Price of something goes up often when there is competition involved, i.e. many people interested in the same domain name (house, car, anything else) i.e. auctions or multiple offers / multiple buyers situation. And yes, domain name is often a very personal and emotional purchase. I would not look the second time at GreenFriendly.com or ZoneFiles.net, but again that is a personal choice.

Secondly, I know how to use GKWT and know "proper english", and am reading through the threads on the forum, thank you.. and my "Shift" buttons work on the keyboard.. both of them (just in case I need to capitalize words like I or Google)

Thirdly, I am not an experienced domainer as many of you, but I believe with any major domain name purchase there is a certified appraisal and quite likely it was not given on the forum by local experts. Nobody commented on the website www.DomainAppraisal.org (not a bot as far as I understand), so I presume no one here used it (or used and got unpleasantly low valuations)

Last, but most important point - thank you to those who PM'd me with your tools and methods - it was really helpful and very much appreciated!

Katherine, good point about liquidity - any rules or good examples you may suggest?

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also don't trust anyone who does trust these so called "services"

pav

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You are making it too personal, people.. Flaming, not adding value to the thread
If you read the original post and visit the front page of www.DomainAppraisal.org you will see endorsement from Marc Ostrofsky, author of Top 10 NY Times Bestseller on how to make money on the web, someone who made millions in this industry.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just a few thoughts here...
http://www.domainappraisal.org/ looks like an offshoot of Godaddy judging by their contact information.
That says a lot.
To put it bluntly, Godaddy is a company that will sell you anything regardless of actual value.

Is the endorsement by MO genuine ?
I don't know, but MO is a veteran domainer, he's one of the last persons in this world who needs such services given his track record. Seriously, that doesn't sound right.
Let's say it's a commercial gesture.

Last, you need to take everything you read with a pinch of salt. The so-called gurus are not always right.
A certain domain king once taunted .mobi as the next big thing.
Do you want to lose $194,000 ? ;)

I don't know why you are so focused on the appraisal thing.
Appraisals don't make domains easier to sell, they only encourage bad regs.
It's true, nobody is making money thanks to complacent appraisals...

The best appraisals are... sales :)
If you are not making any, if you're never receiving offers then the appraisals will not help.
Also, why pay for an appraisal if the domain is not even worth the price of that appraisal ?
Nobody is flaming you, the sarcasm is aimed at the appraisal services that are a joke and it's not an opinion, it's a fact :)
Prove me wrong :)

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You are making it too personal, people.. Flaming, not adding value to the thread
If you read the original post and visit the front page of www.DomainAppraisal.org you will see endorsement from Marc Ostrofsky, author of Top 10 NY Times Bestseller on how to make money on the web, someone who made millions in this industry.

i think you are misreading the posts. not flaming anyone. when basically ALL old timers tell you to stay clear of these worthless sites, maybe you should listen? Another time to fetch that grain of salt, is when people who sell get rich click books are handing out advice

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I am a good friend of Marc Ostrofsky and a fan of his book. He does not put any value into automated appraisals.
If you read his book, which I have a copy of, you would know this.

-=DCG=-

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators