Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Whats steps can WE take to help prevent the "Snowe Bill" from being passed? Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about lobbying but once we get 1-2k signature I plan on going to Washington and at least raising awareness on this issue. My entire savings account is from domain names and I'm not going back to the Air Force.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We need someone on the Senate floor (and on CNN for that matter) when (and if) this gets there for voting on...if this gets to mainstream america for voting don't plan on anyone knowing what the hell it means with a misleading name like this, it would probably get passed...that's by design of course!
Can we get the president aware of this great pending unjustice? I believe he could veto it if it got too far, no?

TriDomains

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is why I cannot vote Republican!

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Keep signing people! :hippie:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perhaps one of the biggest and best known means to fight this is VeriSign.

Many know that VeriSign now controls the .com and .net registries.

Since taking over the helm, domaining has become the most profitable aspect of VeriSign's organization. So profitable in fact that VeriSign is now trying to sell or spin-off its other divisions to concentrate on domaining full time.

This would have a massive impact on VeriSign's bottom line if the bill were to become law.

So if you are looking to sign up some power to fight the fight, then perhaps that is where to start. I am sure there are lobbyists for VeriSign in DC as VeriSign is so into internet commerce and security. And they must of had some connections to get control over from ICANN.

Anyone have any VeriSign contacts?

http://www.StopTheSnoweBill.com Sign the petition against The Snowe Bill.

Ridge

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
not sure if this has been mentioned.
someone possibly needs to make a well thought out video and take this viral. it's election time, might get the right attention more so now then ever.

not sure if this is a good idea so it should probably be discussed before someone grabs their webcam., lol

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've blogged about this... don't know how much effect it will have.

But I'm sure - if you all bookmark it and comment, it might help raise awareness -

http://www.mwzd.com/2008/03/06/the-great-american-snowe-job/

It seems that we have several people blogging PLUS several larger sites are also posting articles about this (high ranking PR in some cases). This media flood will give people many hits if they try to search for "the Snowe Bill" or "Anti Phishing Consumer Protection Act of 2008".

Every little bit helps plus links from this site to the articles and logs help with their rankings, too. :eek:k:

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Looks like we may break 1,000 today....at 823 right now.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is starting to look like one of the first large protests I took part in when I was graduating in college.

It was a small community college in Mass but Govenor Weld was speaking :upset:.

A month prior to my graduation, Weld said "Public education is an oxymoron" (note: I was at a community college) while trying to promote a bill to privatize all education facilities in Mass (and he was running for the US Senate at the time, too). When asked if he was concerned that he would lose the vote from someone who had public education his response was "It's only one vote".

What did we do?

We all got large yellow buttons that had a check mark on them and said "ONE VOTE". They looked very nice against our black graduation gowns. Weld tried to shake the graduate's hands as they took their diploma. Most blew him off.

So people, don't think that your one vote or one voice will make a difference here, working together is what democracy (OK, we're in a republic) is all about. It is supposed to be the PUBLIC's government, not the corporations' government. Yes, you are one voice, but added in to all the others it is a very large choir and our voices will project all the way to DC.

(Time to get cliché):
One vote put Hitler into power.
One vote decided if we speak English or German here
One vote per US county put JFK into the president's seat

I'm sure there are many instances where we can find one vote had a huge impact.

Edit: Petition is at 901 as of now.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is a code for your sites, it will place a banner for the petition and any visitors can add their name from your site, preview the banner at whataredomains.com:

<div id="peSiteTargetDiv567909683"><a href="http://www.thepetitionsite.com/" style="display: block; width: 252px; text-align: center; font-size: 8pt; font-family: Verdana,sans-serif;">Petition powered by ThePetitionSite.com</a></div>
<script src="http://www.thepetitionsite.com/js/widget.js?petitionID=567909683"></script>

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom