Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

What's the next Domain rush?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A huge use for IDNs will be for websites on mobile phones in China, India and elsewhere.

If you have any Russian IDNs you no doubt see the big upswing in traffic over the last 6 months. What languages are you seeing other traffic in?

Believe it or not Hebrew, although there are less than 10M speakers I assume. I just started with Arabic, so far seems positive, since they are many more speakers, and planning on Spanish and French.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
:)

ccTLD Registered Country
.de 11,946,166 Germany
.uk 6,739,198 UK
.nl 2,840,405 Netherlands
.eu 2,830,096 Euro Union
.it 1,507,790 Italy
.ch 1,119,012 Swiss
.fr 1,096,948 France
.pl 945,482 Poland
.es 907,821 Spain
.dk 893,387 Denmark
.be 769,056 Belgium
.at 743,245 Austria
.se 715,179 Sweden
.cz 406,394 Czech
.no 377,538 Norway
.pt 204,797 Portugal
.fi 174,821 Finland
.cn 11,095,572 China
.us 1,405,787 United States
.br 1,256,141 Brazil
.jp 1,012,199 Japan

Chinese number relates to the end of March 2008

At the end of July the number was 12364615.

Time series is here:

http://cnnic.cn/html/Dir/2003/12/13/2020.htm

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thats because .cn is free or 0.13c/yr

I think the total reg value of a ccTLD should be based on no. of names x annual cost x no. of yrs - for a better perspective.

Might find .cn below .sc in that case :D

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

I think the total reg value of a ccTLD should be based on no. of names x annual cost x no. of yrs - for a better perspective.

Might find .cn below .sc in that case :D

It is a valid point, but be careful not to jump to the wrong conclusions.

Only ASCII names are cheap. The ones they perceive as having value, those in Chinse Characters are much much much more expensive than dot com.

We don't know how it is split, but there was some confirmation that they make more money from the Chinese Names.

There is also the issue of how long the discount last for. I think renewals are more expensive.

nam2000

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well, its been interesting reading through this thread, seeing who was right and how the market as changed since this thread started.

so, what now? how long before the LLLL.com market improves? will the lower end ever improve or was it a false market in the first place?

wussadotcom

Level 6
Reaction score
LLLL.com doesn't looks too improve unless quality and certain type of LLLL.com
I doub't it will hike back up except there is some billionaires starting to buy a lot of LLLL.com at $100 a piece :)

dominator

Corporate Design, Naming & Branding
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

DQ = dominator's quotient (value of ccTLD) =

number of domains x anual fee / number of inhabitants (of the country)

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why divide by population? More the population, higher the chances of an end user sale.

Unless you have some other insight :D

Anyway, now that everything has tanked, the next big thing is selling the junk we all have :lol:

Wot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

nam2000

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LLLL.com doesn't looks too improve unless quality and certain type of LLLL.com
I doub't it will hike back up except there is some billionaires starting to buy a lot of LLLL.com at $100 a piece :)

care to share their contact details :smilewinkgrin:

netfleet

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here is a good list of ccTLD registrations.

http://www.hosterstats.com/DomainNameCounts2008.php

Note .au growth month on month year on year. And prohibition of sale has only just been lifted - the vast vast majority are end-user owned. Once domainers start investing en masse, things could get very interesting.

Compassion

feel the qi
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cool thread,

the junk will be dropped or sold, the medium to great names should and will be developed or distributed to end users who will benefit from the medium to great name

jmcc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The trend in .com and .net seems to be downward. I think that this could be the end of the Buy To Park boom where domains were registered purely on their ability to generate PPC revenue. The declining PPC revenue may also have edged the profits on many of the marginally profitable parked domains below regfee. These domains may be dropped over the next year or so. Throw in the restrictions on Domain Tasting and you have the perfect storm for parked domains. Without the availability of consequence free tasting, the domain tasters have to evolve better and more effective algorithms that will identify profitable domains without tasting. Most will not be able to do this and there will be increased competition for these profitable domains as they drop. I would not be surprised to see .com and perhaps .net go into negative growth territory in 2009.

The next domain rush will probably be, to a small extent, .tel but too many people have been burned on .eu, .mobi and .asia TLDs. The growth on .asia is now down to around 5000 domains a month as it has moved out of the landrush phase. The .mobi TLD is currently in the Junk Dump phase and it has lost a lot of domains in November (approx 69K) but there is still demand for that and approx 23K new .mobi doms were added in November. The .eu ccTLD is a dead TLD.

The ones to watch will be the large ccTLDs and the ccTLDs that are in countries that are about to go ccTLD positive. (That's where the number of ccTLD registrations exceed the number of .com registrations in that country.)

Regards...jmcc

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The ones to watch will be the large ccTLDs and the ccTLDs that are in countries that are about to go ccTLD positive. (That's where the number of ccTLD registrations exceed the number of .com registrations in that country.)

Regards...jmcc

Very wise words.

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Definitely .co.uk, and now .org.uk is really coming on strong!

Do you think prices will rise on existing ones, or simply more will be regged ?.
I had someone write to me about a .co.uk last week .simply said "would I give up" xyz domain .
Oh yeh sure. And "Peter" with the gmx email address preceded by the domain name
in question, please dont bother .Sure he's probably tried with others on here.

DG

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do you think prices will rise on existing ones, or simply more will be regged ?.
I had someone write to me about a .co.uk last week .simply said "would I give up" xyz domain .
Oh yeh sure. And "Peter" with the gmx email address preceded by the domain name
in question, please dont bother .Sure he's probably tried with others on here.

DG
Well, I don't know this 'Peter' fellow, but I think you have it right on both counts. Good names are 'holds' and new ones on the drop are cheap; even hand-registrations. I can tell you that reasonable .uk drops are highly contended - that's why I have built my infrastructure and keep pumping resources/funds/tweaks into it.

We've just been given our own forum here so please feel free to post your questions:

http://www.dnforum.com/f567/

Cheers!

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Latest Comments

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener