Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Whaty do I do with a site that ets 350+ hits a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekman77

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a site that is getting 350+ visitors a day and growing. Today we are already at 405 hits. How much should a site like this be worth? Also what do I do with this site to monitize it. I already have adsense ads and amazon associates on it but so far thats it. I make about $1 -$3 a day with adsnes but I feel like I am not getting the most out of this site then I potentially can. Any thoughts? Any ideas to make more money with it?

BreakingNews.co

Last edited:

ekman77

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am about to add a banner for ipad ebooks. I cant think of anyhting else that would fit for this site....

tattoos

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am about to add a banner for ipad ebooks. I cant think of anyhting else that would fit for this site....

Personally, I would be more inclined to remove stuff, rather than add more...

At the moment your homepage is 4.49 megabytes in size (transfer size is 4.06).
Your HTML file alone is 1.68 megabytes and contains 240,365 keywords or 1,431,969 characters stuffed into the title attribute of 13 internal links.

You say your getting 300 plus visits per day at the moment? Well enjoy it while it lasts.
The obvious and blatant keyword stuffing you have done means its only a matter of time before your domain is banned by Google and AdSense as well. What will it be worth then?

Its always a shame to see nice domains get trashed, blacklisted and rendered worthless.
Oh well, live and learn.

Cheers
James

ekman77

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nice. Obviously I didn't think anyone would read this. We have been getting constant hits since Nov '10 I dont see how we would ever get banned.
David

tattoos

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nice. Obviously I didn't think anyone would read this. We have been getting constant hits since Nov '10 I dont see how we would ever get banned.
David

You didn't think anyone would read this (I assume you mean the keyword stuffing?) And you also can't see how you will ever get banned. :?:

You have around 50,000 keyword stuffed pages in Google's index but you only get 350 visits a day?
As a comparison, I have a site that has 120 non keyword stuffed pages in Google's index and it gets between 18k and 20k visits a day.
One of our sites already has trust issues. Can you guess which one it is? I'll give you a clue. Its not mine.

Cheers
james

ekman77

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I meant I didnt think anyone would read this post. I did not develop the site myself. I paid someone to do it. How do you find out how many keywords are on the pages and how many are "stuffed" in the title? I have no clue how to find that out. And no I don't understand why we would get banned.
David

Last edited:

tattoos

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just view the page source code of your site and you will see. (In firefox, right click >> view page source)

And no I don't understand why we would get banned.
Keyword stuffing "Keyword stuffing" refers to the practice of loading a webpage with keywords in an attempt to manipulate a site's ranking in Google's search results. Filling pages with keywords results in a negative user experience, and can harm your site's ranking. Focus on creating useful, information-rich content that uses keywords appropriately and in context.
To fix this problem, review your site for misused keywords. Typically, these will be lists or paragraphs of keywords, often randomly repeated. Check carefully, because keywords can often be in the form of hidden text, or they can be hidden in title tags or alt attributes.
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=66358
Some more

Hidden text and links
Share Comment Print

Hiding text or links in your content can cause your site to be perceived as untrustworthy since it presents information to search engines differently than to visitors. Text (such as excessive keywords) can be hidden in several ways, including:

Using white text on a white background
Including text behind an image
Using CSS to hide text
Setting the font size to 0

Hidden links are links that are intended to be crawled by Googlebot, but are unreadable to humans because:

The link consists of hidden text (for example, the text color and background color are identical).
CSS has been used to make tiny hyperlinks, as little as one pixel high.
The link is hidden in a small character - for example, a hyphen in the middle of a paragraph.

If your site is perceived to contain hidden text and links that are deceptive in intent, your site may be removed from the Google index, and will not appear in search results pages. When evaluating your site to see if it includes hidden text or links, look for anything that's not easily viewable by visitors of your site. Are any text or links there solely for search engines rather than visitors?

If you're using text to try to describe something search engines can't access - for example, Javascript, images, or Flash files - remember that many human visitors using screen readers, mobile browsers, browsers without plug-ins, and slow connections will not be able to view that content either. Using descriptive text for these items will improve the accessibility of your site. You can test accessibility by turning off Javascript, Flash, and images in your browser, or by using a text-only browser such as Lynx. Some tips on making your site accessible include:

Images: Use the alt attribute to provide descriptive text. In addition, we recommend using a human-readable caption and descriptive text around the image.
Javascript: Place the same content from the Javascript in a no script tag. If you use this method, ensure the contents are exactly same as what is contained in the Javascript and that this content is shown to visitors who do not have Javascript enabled in their browser.
Videos: Include descriptive text about the video in HTML. You might also consider providing transcripts.

If you do find hidden text or links on your site, either remove them or, if they are relevant for your site's visitors, make them easily viewable. If your site has been removed from our search results, review our Webmaster Guidelines for more information. Once you've made your changes and are confident that your site no longer violates our guidelines, submit your site for reconsideration.
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=66353
You may also want to read all of Google's Webmaster Guidelines

Cheers
James

Last edited:

charcoal

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Looking at the design — I am a graphic designers so that's what I see first — I feel the background is a bit over the top. When scrolling it's quite distracting. I'd say with a plain background it would look great.

Good luck with it!

ekman77

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK so I still dont see the keyword stuffing. I feel that the extra keywords are from all of the posts that are being pulled from google news. This week we are at 700+hits a day and I really dont see how I would get banned. I am trying to approve as many comments as I can that dont appear to be spam. I think that is helping for the content part but my main question is where do I find this so called "keyword stufing" at. Keep in mind I did not build this site. I had a outside source build it and I really need to know if there is a problem. There is not much original contant on this site because of the feeds we are pulling. I am thinking about blogging about the headlines to help out but my main goal is to make this a 5,000 + hits a day site. BTW the guy that said he gets 13,000 hits a day can you share with us what the name is? Thats major to me but what do I know I am just a newbie.
Dave

tattoos

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
my main question is where do I find this so called "keyword stufing" at.

Have a look at the source code of your site... here is a small sample of whats on the home page.

This week we are at 700+hits a day and I really dont see how I would get banned...

...There is not much original contant on this site because of the feeds we are pulling.
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=66361
Little or no original content
Scraped content: Some webmasters make use of content taken from other, more reputable sites on the assumption that increasing the volume of web pages with random, irrelevant content is a good long-term strategy. Purely scraped content, even from high-quality sources, may not provide any added value to your users without additional useful services or content provided by your site. It's worthwhile to take the time to create original content that sets your site apart. This will keep your visitors coming back and will provide useful search results.

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=66359
Duplicate content on a site is not grounds for action on that site unless it appears that the intent of the duplicate content is to be deceptive and manipulate search engine results. If your site suffers from duplicate content issues, and you don't follow the advice listed above, we do a good job of choosing a version of the content to show in our search results.

However, if our review indicated that you engaged in deceptive practices and your site has been removed from our search results, review your site carefully. If your site has been removed from our search results, review our Webmaster Guidelines for more information. Once you've made your changes and are confident that your site no longer violates our guidelines, submit your site for reconsideration.

If you find that another site is duplicating your content by scraping (misappropriating and republishing) it, it's unlikely that this will negatively impact your site's ranking in Google search results pages. If you do spot a case that's particularly frustrating, you are welcome to file a DMCA request to claim ownership of the content and request removal of the other site from Google's index.

Ordinarily I wouldn't even mention these things as scraper/keyword stuffed sites are everywhere and usually the people that create them know the risks and know that its a short term thing. They create heaps of them on random domains and pump them for all there worth until the domains get banned. They replace the banned domains with new ones, they let the banned domains drop. Rinse and repeat.

The difference here is that this is a DN forum and I assume most people that come here care about their domain names and don't want them devalued.

Just like you wouldn't go out and buy an expensive set of Michelin tires just so you can do burnouts, you shouldn't use good domain names for your trashy sites.

Just sharing my opinion.

Cheers
James

Soofi

First Come First Serve .iN & .ORG Backorders
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd say with a plain background it would look great.

Do this.. and ofcourse remove some of those unwanted ad banners to make your site look neat & tidy!

ekman77

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As of today we are averaging 500+ hits a day.

Today's hits:
441 hits search engines
39 direct traffic
25 - referring sites

Not sure where you think that the search engines dont like this site. "breakingnews.co" in google now brings up 151,000 pages. Just last month it was at 41,000 pages

I appreciate all feedback. I am still learning and finally have a decent site that is pulling revenue and repeating daily visitors. I just hope it gets bigger!
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators