Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Which TLD should I choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I looked to put this in the TLD discussion section, but wasn't able to, so if it's in an inappropriate place maybe someone would kindly move it for me.

Supposing a .com name is gone for a generic item I want to set up a website on, but the .net, .org and .info TLDs are still available, which would I be best to choose for my website (assuming I really want this name and so will choose one of them)? The item concerned can relate to a business or a hobby, and information is often exchanged about it between enthusiasts or sellers/buyers. So basically what I'm asking is, which of the three remaining TLDs after .com would be best suited to all three aspects? I would also take into consideration which would be the best investment.

I'd be glad of any help in deciding. :)

Domain Summit 2024

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you were really serious about the name, I would register the .net and .org and .info

I try to register names .com/.net/.org in that order depending on the name. Then go to snapnames and backorder the .com in hopes it will not be renewed.

Without knowing the name that is what I would do.

alwaysthinking

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is what I would start with - Buy all 3 TLDs that are left. Then park them all for a week or so just to see the type in stats.
Whichever gets the most typeins, go for it.

But if you don't wanna invest in all 3 TLDs, then it boils down to what the product or service is and what would be the most appropriate TLD. If its a service, go for .org. If you are going to make money - go for .net. (still register .org also)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if .com is gone

find another name

Edder

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If the generic term is crucial to the success of your website, I would try and buy the .com. If that doesn't work out, just go with .net.

Ehsan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also have a similar question i wanted my town name .com but there was no chance i could get it even .info and .biz were gone and i thought i wouldn't get any of these top exts ever and stopped looking and once just by luck the .net dropped and i reggd it at once so i was wondering if .net can go a long with a GEO like a Town name ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom