Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

World's preeminent domainologist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Self Appointed titles and personal insults aside, what i can not seem to understand from replies of this thread and other threads is if can someone actually point to disadvantages of idn domains?...

I have numerous times ... view the links below:

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=127504
(in particular message #5 and #13 of that thread)

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=175431&page=2

The truth with IDNs, like many things, is somewhere between the extremes.

Ron,How do you see the direct tie of idn's strength to ASCII getting stronger?

IDNs are not absolute whereas traditional "ascii" domains are; see my posts in the threads I linked to above for more explaination of how IDNs resolve verses non-IDNs.

From a marketing viewpoint, IDNs have potential value for being better suited for websites targeted at various non-english speaking populations ...

However, much marketing today is a combination of "local" and "global" ... so if a company has an IDN(s) for "widget", they will likely want to have a traditional "ascii" domain equivalent(s) so as to be able to market their brand globally; prevent someone else from encroaching on their business / brand, etc.

Again, please see my posts at the links above - hope this helps.

Ron

Domain Summit 2024

domainstosell

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domagon said:
IDNs are not absolute whereas traditional "ascii" domains are; see my posts in the threads I linked to above for more explaination of how IDNs resolve verses non-IDNs.

From a marketing viewpoint, IDNs have potential value for being better suited for websites targeted at various non-english speaking populations ...

However, much marketing today is a combination of "local" and "global" ... so if a company has an IDN(s) for "widget", they will likely want to have a traditional "ascii" domain equivalent(s) so as to be able to market their brand globally; prevent someone else from encroaching on their business / brand, etc.

Again, please see my posts at the links above - hope this helps.

Ron

I see your point in this and where you are going with it; however, I would contend that the global brands who want to take advantage of this will most likely already have the ASCII version of the domain (if they wanted it in the first place). The advantage of IDNs is that it fills a (large) "gap" for the companies who want to (or need to, by design) do business with native speakers of a language other than English - a huge market.

Companies again have the power to own a prime generic domain that encompasses their market, and in the language they are trying to target. It is along the lines of Enterprise owning rentalcar.com, for one example.

One of the major arguments I hear a lot is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." This applies especially to Spanish, French, German, etc. ASCII domains missing the proper accents and umlauts that are used in the correct spelling of words. The argument is that this is the way it is and has been, and people won't care to change their browsing habits. I happen to disagree. I don't think it will be a magic-bullet, or that it will happen overnight, but I do think that these types of IDNs will vulture traffic from the ASCII domains.

I also think that it will come down to content. To take a broad example, let's look at cafe.com vs café.com (I have not visited either of these sites, I am using them as a hypothetical demonstration only). If a French user goes to cafe.com and finds a parking page, they may click on an ad. If the same user goes to café.com and finds a fully developed site of café listings, I contend they will be more likely to use and revisit the IDN, because it is developed. I believe the same holds true in reverse.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The advantage with Latin names is not clear cut. Most traffic ultimately comes from Search Results. Searching with the accents will yeild the same results as without. It is a mute point whether the accented version of the non-accented version is better. Some cultures are also more comfortable with dropping the accents than others.

With Asian domains the situation is totally different. IDN are perfectly matched to the vast majority of searches, wheras from an SEO standpoint, ASCII domains are generally totally irrelevant. The effect with be devastating. Businesses that do not have established global branding in Latin characters cannot afford to continue using domains that have no SEO benefit.

sags

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Adding up all the money I have spent on domains that aren't selling or making any money, I figure I have paid for my first year towards my Domainologist Degree.

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
this guy made no mention of domain parking, unless i missed it, I do beleive most noobies reg to get rich with a sale hence all their stupid made up names, but for domainers that have been around for a while regging names that get traffic is the primary motivation with traffic you can make a sale or just make money without doing anything but parking the name.I dont think any of us that have been around for a while expect a million for a name. He also missed the point that the reason more dotcoms are being regged is more domainers are making money and reinvesting in more names, if i wasnt making the parked income i couldnt pay the reg fees even to keep my names year to year

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom